Roughin’ It.

August 5, 2010

I like camping. I really do. I like the idea of scavanging for things, to live with a minimal amount. Making do for a few days. I do not, however, enjoy camping in an apartment. I learned that Tuesday.

We drove to our new place to sign all the paper work and unload the 7 boxes that would fit in the car after Bella, our bags, us, the pack ‘n play, and a car seat. Being 3 hours away, we stayed the night to get the boxes unpacked, look around the new town, and try to figure out where everything was.

Things that made this all interesting?

– Our apartment is on the 3rd story. 3rd. As in, 3 flights of stairs every.single.time we have to go anywhere. Yes, the view is amazing. And we have no one above us that we have to listen to. And we have vaulted ceilings. We also have 3 flights of stairs. With a baby, strollers, groceries, bicycles…

– It was 90+ degrees until 8 at night.

– We had no furniture. So we headed to Target to get an air mattress. Eddie Bauer – you need to step it up a notch in making those. When I laid on it, fully blown up, it touched the ground. When Sam got on it, it bounced me to the other side.

– Chipotle doesn’t believe in giving you any kind of utensils in a to go container. I ordered a salad. Sam got a burrito. We didn’t get anything else – no forks, napkins, nothing. Which meant another trip down three flights of stairs for him to find a gas station with plastic forks.

– Our entire kitchen flooded that evening. I suddenly noticed water all over the wood floor and screamed for Sam. Not just like, “Ooops, there’s a leak.” Like, “OMG WE STARTED A RIVER.” Turns out, as he was looking to see how one of those faucet sprayer things would fit, he didn’t put the hose back up and left it hanging under the sink. So when we ran the dishwasher with a cleaner, it emptied out into the cupboard and went all over the floor. 2 entire rolls of Viva paper towels later and we were set.

– We aren’t used to driving in the city. I like to backseat drive. Sam hates it. Enough said.

– We forgot blankets for the bed, and towels for the shower. So we had a very cold night and a very soggy morning.

Of course, there were some wonderful parts of it (like the pool)- but it’s always the stuff that goes wrong that makes the best stories later on. I mean, after you look back on it. In the middle of that mess? We weren’t the nicest people. Especially me. I don’t do well with hot, tired, sticky, hungry and uncomfortable along with a baby that feels the same way.

We move on the 15th for good.

I plan on having legs of steel by the time this next year is over. Or – one of those chairs that will attach to stair rails and takes you up with a push of a button.

• Tammi

August 8, 2010 at 8:10 pm

Your new home looks great. You are going to have legs of steel. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Old School/New School Mom

August 8, 2010 at 6:47 am

Those chairs that drive up staircases are unbelievably awesome.

• Alice @ Life With Vivian

August 6, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Beautiful apartments! Sorry about the stairs though. I’d hate that too.

• Tina @ Life Without Pink

August 6, 2010 at 10:50 am

Your new place is so beautiful…..and good luck with the 3 flights of stairs ๐Ÿ™‚ I never had to deal with that but my girlfriend did with two kids, strollers, groceries, etc…..fun times!

• Cindy @ This Adventure, Our Life

August 6, 2010 at 12:20 am

Your new place looks beautiful! Our old condo had 2 huge flights of stairs! I learned to carry like 1000 bags of groceries in a SINGLE trip (maybe with an ergo attached, ha ha! You will get used to it, quickly! You could devise a pulley system from your porch! Good Luck on your move!!

• Michelle

August 5, 2010 at 5:29 pm

You forgot to mention the awesome biceps and other arm muscles that develop from hauling Bella up and down, plus all baby gear. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Always look to the sunny side Good luck!

• Tweets that mention Roughinโ€™ It. | Hormonal Imbalances — Topsy.com

August 5, 2010 at 2:33 pm

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Diana, Diana and Bloggernaut, Diana. Diana said: Roughinโ€™ It.: I like camping. I really do. I like the idea of scavanging for things, to live with a minimal amount… http://bit.ly/952kMC […]

• Jess@Straight Talk

August 5, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Well, it *looks* like an awesome place. Enjoy exploring the place ๐Ÿ™‚

But yeah, baby and stairs is…well work. We lived on the second floor but I wish we’d lived on the third. I hated the elephant living above us always being so loud.

• harmskills

August 5, 2010 at 12:48 pm

when i first moved to NYC, i Lived ina 5th floor walk up (Code for no elevator) when I moved in with hubby, I upgraded to a 4th floor! And when we bought I was like we must have an elevator… which we now do. good luck with the stairs. You will probably use your carrier more than your stroller.

ps I love chipotle! I love their salad dressing

• Erin

August 5, 2010 at 12:28 pm

This totally happened to us when on our last move! Not the leaking dishwasher, but the whole, being stranded with none of your stuff bit. We had to go almost 2 weeks without anything but an air mattress, a few sets of clothes and random necessities. Ended up borrowing towels, sheets, blankets and kitchen stuff from family. I’ve never been so happy to see the moving truck and the TONS of boxes that came with it ๐Ÿ™‚

August 5, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Ok, now one night isn’t sounding so bad anymore! We have the Uhaul coming with us on the 15th so we’ll have all our stuff there.

• metta1313

August 5, 2010 at 12:16 pm

It’s so true. Those rough moments do make the best posts. And I can’t wait to see a picture of you in your chair lift with Bella on your lap in a few months.

August 5, 2010 at 2:00 pm

I’m totally putting one. I didn’t know those chairs even really existed until I found that photo – I was just thinking about the grandma from Superstar. lol

• Sarah

August 5, 2010 at 12:12 pm

I love this post! I love that clubhouse.

• mama23bears

August 5, 2010 at 12:11 pm

your new place looks AWESOME! i know 3 flights of stairs totally sucks, especially with a baby but like you said no one above, that will turn out to be a HUGE benefit with a sleeping baby. can i come visit? that pool looks so inviting!!

August 5, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Yes. You may come visit anytime. ๐Ÿ™‚ I know being up above everyone is going to have so many pluses once I get past the stairs deal.

• cathy