Barfing – no please.

October 20, 2010

Monday morning, around 4, I woke up and thought I was dying. Or giving birth to a chest burster from Alien.

Makes you want to have a kid, right?

Does that thing have silver teeth? Weird.

Anyway, after realizing I was not dying, I found that I had to puke. Badly. Now I know no one likes barfing, but I hate it. I did almost 9 months of it being pregnant with Bella, and then 6 months of it with her – I think I’ve had my fair share.

I threw up, and threw up, and threw up. I was miserable. Bella woke up, Sam took her and got her back to sleep each time, while I laid my head on the toilet. Thankfully, I did not have my contacts in or I would have thrown up looking at it.

Finally, I took a Zofran and passed out. I woke up at 8 to throw up some more, and begged Sam to stay home. He couldn’t (which I knew) but promised he could be home by 4 if I got worse.

I had no idea how on earth I was going to watch Bella and not barf on her.

When she woke up from morning nap, Sam was gone and I could barely drag myself into her room to get her. Standing over the changing table was another matter. My head was pounding and I kept mumbling, “Don’t barf, don’t barf.”

As soon as we got into the living room, I put her in the pack ‘n play. She hates being in there, but she stayed for a little while and played, and peeped over the edge at me on the couch while I drifted in and out of sleep.

Then she started fussing and I knew she was hungry, but the thought of smelling food or getting up to feed her – it was too much. So I got her sippy, I poured some organic O things into a grabber bowl thing, and set her on me on the couch to eat.

I found on Caillou on Netflix and I thought about how hideous that kid’s house was. What kind of decorator picked out all the primary colors in their home? And what was his mom wearing? Did she never leave the house? Or have friends?

I watched the clock the whole time, because I simply wanted to go back to sleep. At 1:30 Bella went to bed, and I laid on the couch. At 2, fast asleep, Sam called to check in on me. Bless his heart, he was so worried but it woke me up and I was cranky.

At 2:30 Bella woke up. I knew, I just knew, there was no way I could get up and have her out with me till 6:30. I laid on the couch and prayed for her to go back to sleep, bargaining with God in just about every way I could. However, nothing worked, so I finally got up to get her while realizing I ached so bad. Akin to being in a really bad car accident.

I put on finding Nemo (quite honestly, this kid has never watched that much TV in her life, I think she went into overload) and we laid on the couch and watched it. After gaping at the screen in total silence for 45 minutes, she started fussing. I put her on the floor, where she burst into sobs. So, I pulled a pillow down, laid next to her, and covered up my eyes to block out any light.

Around 5 I was able to hold down some medicine and felt better. Sam came home and brought me Chipotle (hey, I asked for it and I so wanted to eat something, but it turned out that wasn’t what I need to eat).

That night he got sick. So he spent the day on the couch while I recovered from it and Bella ran a fever.

So to sum it up:

• No on the primary colors in a house
  • Lace on sweatshirts is not attractive
  • If you have to barf, clean your toilet first
  • If you want to have another kid, get the stomach flu and then decide
  • Inform family members that they are not allowed to get sick when you are
  • No Chipotle after stomach flu

How do you moms do it that work and/or have more than one kid? Amazing.

• harmskills

October 21, 2010 at 5:00 am

i have had three stomach bugs in c’s life (I am suseptable to them i think) and I MADE my husband stay home. No choice or discussion. i hope you feel better!

• Desi

October 20, 2010 at 7:33 pm

EH that is the worst! I hope you and your family are feeling better now. I got sick a few times last year when Pat wasn’t around and thank god I had family around that could take Liv…because I don’t know what I would have done. I give you props.

• Kim

October 20, 2010 at 2:50 pm

We don’t have Chipolte here . . . hmmm. Yeah for no contacts! And LOTS of t.v watching, computer games, snacking around the house and breaking of rules happens when you have multiple children and are a stay at home mom. Want to eat those crackers on the couch? Sure! (IF it means 15 more minutes of quiet for mommy!) Want to watch ANOTHER eposide of the hated SpongeBob? Sure! (But mommy gets to lay in the other room!) You got through it, that’s the important thing!

• Law Momma

October 20, 2010 at 11:43 am

Oh poor poor poor thing. Stomach bugs SUCK. Especially when you have to keep a kid at the same time. I always seem to get mine on a Saturday. *shudder*

Hope you’re feeling better!

• Sara

October 20, 2010 at 10:57 am

Dang… I’m going to have to get rid of my lace-collared sweatshirts? Boo… for some reason I crave Chipotle when I’m not feeling well too… it’s odd because I know it won’t make things any better. But I eat it anyway. Blarg. On that note: I tagged you in a quiz question post game thing if you wanna play!

October 20, 2010 at 7:02 pm

Thanks – I’m on my way. And I know, I had to take a hard look at all my lace collared sweatshirts and decide, “Is it worth it?”

And no.

• Erika @NaMammaSte

October 20, 2010 at 10:27 am

I’m so sorry you had such a rough couple of days! I haven’t been THAT sick since Dylan was born thankfully (knock on wood…). Sounds to me like you did an amazing job of dealing with it!

My first thought when I read your last sentence was what Krista said. When I feel like crap, I wish I worked so I could send Dylan to daycare and stay home and sleep 🙂 SAHM’s don’t get sick days like working moms do, but we get other rewards I suppose. As you know, there are advantages and disadvantages to each scenario… hence why I go back and forth every other day on what I want to do!

Also, your lessons learned list cracked me up! 🙂

October 20, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Thought I’d try to bullet it at the end to emphasis the most important parts. 🙂

• Jess@Straight Talk

October 20, 2010 at 10:10 am

Poor girl! That sucks real bad. I’m glad you made it through, even just barely.

• Siva

October 20, 2010 at 9:24 am

First off, the grill comment from Nicci had me laughing so hard. Lol.

But its always hard when your sick and your kid has to be home – so much easier to take them to daycare. But you survived it and had a great blog post come out of it!

• Nicci @ Changing the Universe

October 20, 2010 at 8:52 am

Oh daycare is a GODSEND when I’m sick!

And that alien doesn’t have silver teeth. He’s wearing his grills.

October 20, 2010 at 6:47 pm

ROFLMAO – *That* was so funny. I told Sam and he cracked up.

• Janelle

October 20, 2010 at 8:32 am

Daycare is amazing when you get sick – it is one of the few instances when being a working mom had an advantage over the stay-at-home gig. I had the flu once on a Saturday when Lyndon had to work, and I was home with BOTH boys…I will say, there was an inordinate amount of Elmo-watching, and “meals” were at best PB sammies. Survival, my dear. and lots of mental pep talks along the lines of “This too shall pass.”

October 20, 2010 at 6:47 pm

I repeat that a lot lately. Love that saying. 🙂

• Krista

October 20, 2010 at 8:11 am

Well… the good thing about working is that I have daytime childcare. So, when I got the flu a few weeks ago, I sent Chessa to my mother-in-laws like I would every other day and crawled right back into bed until 5:00.
    I don’t know how people with 2 kids do it though. Maybe the kids entertain each other?
    Hope you’re feeling better and that Bella doesn’t get what you & Sam had.

October 20, 2010 at 6:46 pm

Yeah, I can see having two kids and then telling them to go play. Unless you’ve got 2 under 2 (or, heaven forbid, 2 under 1) then it might be pretty rough.

And Bella was cranky and ran a fever, but so far no flu. Thankfully!