Indoor activities for a toddler

December 16, 2010

With the weather ever changing and a twice a day napper, we spend quite a bit of time at home. The other day I realized I was running out of new things to do with Bella, and so I sat down and made a list of indoor activities for a toddler. In case you’re in the same boat:

• Bubbles (Gymboree kind are the best because they don’t pop as easily, but Bella loves any kind.)
  • Fort
  • Hide and seek (I yell, “Bye!” and run behind a door/wall and Bella finds me. I don’t scare her so she loves playing again.)
  • Dancing (We put on 100 Singalong Songs for Kids – love.)
  • Finger painting (She eats it so buy non-toxic. Also great with pudding.)
  • Potato/corn starch and water
Finger Painting
  • Pots/pans/tupperware (Bella has her own drawer she knows she can pull everything out of. Sometimes I fill one with beans/rice and she’ll shake it.)
  • Laundry (I put it on the ground in her room and as fast as I fold it she tosses it behind her.)
  • Edible playdough (This list has ones that do not contain peanut butter.)
  • “Helping” cook (For this I put Bella in her high chair and then place it in the kitchen next to me. I give her a teaspoon/cups/etc to play with.)
  • Reading
  • Monster (I chase after her growling and she runs away and then comes back laughing.)
  • Stickers (Foam ones work best on paper.)
  • Hugs (I give her an animal or doll and we practice hugging it. So now I say, “Hugs” and she races to find something to hug.)
  • Window watching (We have a small foot stool that she climbs on and looks out her window.)

Window Watching
  • Washing her animals (Small bowl water with some soap and we wash her kitty paci, her puppy, etc. Then throw them on low in the dryer.)
  • Chasing the vacumn
  • “What’s that?” (I take her around the house pointing at things and asking, “What’s that?” and then telling her. She now points and says, “Wha’sa?”)
  • Helping Clean – give your child a wet washcloth and let them help you “clean” with it – tubs, floor, the outside of the stove or dishwasher

If you have any other indoor activities to add I’d love to know about them!

– And I’m on FB too – come chat!

• TheNextMartha

February 8, 2011 at 3:12 pm

My favorite one is called “ignore.” When I get a chance to do it? It’s the best

• harmskills

December 17, 2010 at 9:20 pm

sounds similar to what we do! we might have to try finger painting (pudding of course!) great list

• Diasy

December 16, 2010 at 6:51 pm

I want to nom her cheeks! She is SOO cute.

• kim

December 16, 2010 at 12:37 pm

uhm, you’re an amazing mom. I don’t think my list was that long or creative. Let me think. Tiny cooked noodles that I threw on their trays and let them mash around in. They were in shapes, stars, wheels etc. Washable/non toxic window markers that I let them scribble on the windows with. Whipped cream on the tray — from a can b/c spraying it is so much better. You are beyond creative!

• Alexia

December 16, 2010 at 10:55 am

Thanks! Great ideas, there’s a lot here that we haven’t tried yet. Love the finger painting with pudding!

• themanager

December 16, 2010 at 10:16 am

all GREAT ideas! i just won some organic all natural finger paints. i think the brand is Wee Can Too. i can’t wait to try them. But, it will have to wait because i feel awful today 🙁

• Siva

December 16, 2010 at 9:53 am

I have little finger puppets I talk to S with. We also do dress up but that might be 6ish months down the road for you guys.
    Gymboree bubbles are the best.

December 16, 2010 at 9:08 am

Brighton loves playing with balls – rolling, throwing, catching (though he doesnt quite get it yet)

Drawing/coloring.

Balloons – we play a game where he tries to hit me with the balloon, tons of fun, and they last FOREVER!

• Tweets that mention Indoor activities for a toddler | Hormonal Imbalances — Topsy.com

December 16, 2010 at 8:59 am

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Jennette and Diana, Diana. Diana said: Blogged: Indoor activities for a toddler http://goo.gl/fb/73SWh […]