Sometimes* I overreact. Sometimes*

January 12, 2011

*a lot of the time. Maybe most.

Last night I pull Bella from her high chair where she’s covered from head to toe in mashed potatoes and pulled pork. Although she’s heading straight to bath, I wipe her down to get the excess food off. Because picking it off her changing table mat? Is nasty.

And honestly, does any kid not act like you are beating them savagely as you wipe their face and hands?

As I struggle to get her clothes off, I suddenly notice she’s pink on her cheeks. Only, at a closer look, she’s really red. Like – burning up with a fever red. But she’s not hot.

I stand there thinking about how her nose has been all runny the past few days, and maybe she was coming down with something. Then?

I see her hands. Bright red. Blotchy. Both sides. And up her arms.

Now I look carefully at her cheeks. Blotchy red too. Red splotches all over her face – nose, chin. Panicked, I call to Sam, “Bella’s got this weird rash – come look!”

“Whoa,” he says looking at her face. “What did she have for dinner?”

Allergies. And here I’ve kinda been lax about it lately since I figured we were past most of that. I mentally run down a list of everything she’s eaten in the past two days and can’t come up with anything. Bella sits patiently and looks at us as we poke and prod her. I feel guiltier as I think about how I could have put the peanut butter knife in the jelly and then given her toast with jelly later on.

“What could it be? What is it?” I’m upset and almost hysterical at this point, even though it appears to be going away I’m convinced it will come back when she’s sleeping and I don’t know it. What if I fed her something that caused her to break out in massive hives? What if she started swelling up? What if her throat closed? Why wasn’t I paying more attention? She trusts me to provide her with things that won’t kill her off. What if…

“Honey,” Sam says, peering at her closely, “Did you wipe her down with a washcloth a little harder than normal to get the food off?”

Well, it could have been a horrible food allergy. And then I would have been right.

• t.bird

January 13, 2011 at 7:21 am

heh- nice. thankfully alex has no allergies- if she did i’d be on freak out mode 24/7.

but omg- she’s allergic to washcloths!!! 😉

• Cindy @ This Adventure, Our Life

January 12, 2011 at 9:19 pm

I would had probably freaked out also! The allergy thing is scary…. I have a peanut allergy, but it is not anaphylactic or anything… I have given Bailey almond butter, she is good with it 🙂 (I know bad mom right?) Anyways, thank you for the good laugh!

• TheNextMartha

January 12, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Well at least you didn’t call the poison control just to have them tell you that.

• Tweets that mention Sometimes* I overreact. Sometimes* | — Topsy.com

January 12, 2011 at 2:47 pm

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Diana, Diana. Diana said: Blogged: Sometimes* I overreact. Sometimes* http://goo.gl/fb/Gxl0S […]

• Not There Yet

January 12, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Whew! Thank goodness – the whole allergy thing completely scares me, esp. the nut thing…
    My DH and I BOTH have a tendency to overreact. Believe me, it’s not pretty.

January 12, 2011 at 2:02 pm

I freak out about nuts. I’m sure Bella’s had some accidentally by now, but I still worry.

• Mama P

January 12, 2011 at 10:37 am

LMAO, I’ve done that before! In fact, of done it a multitude of times. My kids act like its murder to wipe anything off them. Most of the time it turns into “how fast can I get away from mommy” game.

It’s good we have husbands, they seem to bring down the crazy sometimes lol

January 12, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Bella scrunches her face up when she sees the washcloth coming for her – it’s so funny.

And yes, my husband is often the voice of reason in our home.

• Miranda

January 12, 2011 at 9:44 am

Lol, dont feel bad. I did the dame thing with my (then 6 month old) son when I couldn’t figure out why he had this crazy looking rash on one cheek and on his belly. I called my mom to come over to the house and look. And she took one look at him and then my husband and said to me “Your husband needs to shave” O.M.G. How did I not realize that was from my husbands face?!?!?!

January 12, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I know that rash! Bella gets it when Sam does raspberries on her. lol – Your story was cute.

• cathy

January 12, 2011 at 9:43 am

Yup, freak of nature, totally 🙂 I’m that way too 🙂

January 12, 2011 at 9:11 am

LOL, thanks for the laugh I needed it this morning! 🙂

• themanager

January 12, 2011 at 9:03 am

we sound like we could be spaz twins. i freak about pretty much everything. thank God i married someone more rational or we’d already be living in a bubble.

January 12, 2011 at 1:59 pm

::dead:: at spaz twins

• kim

January 12, 2011 at 8:57 am

lmao!! you kill me!! I was TOTALLY going the allergy route though!! I was thinking a reaction to vinegar in the pulled pork sauce, actually. Violet used to get hives all around her mouth from different dill pickles. After we figured out it was only certain kinds of dill pickles, and it went away in like 30 minutes . . . uhm, we let her eat them. AFTER I totally freaked the first time. In a restaraunt. 🙂

January 12, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I’ve never heard of a vinegar reaction, but is it because of the acid? Bella is allergic to tomatoes because of that – well, I don’t know if she’s allergic but she gets terrible diaper rash.

1. Tracy (@metta1313)

January 12, 2011 at 11:52 pm

the tomato thing is the acidity that makes the diaper rash. abby has that issue if we give her too much citrus, which makes her face blotchy as well. i think it’s a young kid digestive thing. that’s my 2 cents 🙂