Letting the stats out of the bag

January 16, 2011

If you’ve poked around on here lately, you’ve seen my Advertising page. I changed it all up from “I’m a small town girl with a baby and I like wooden toys” to something a little more clear. I read this post from Mom Blog Magazine, then I went searching for bloggers who I knew did some advertising. To see what they posted.

And I couldn’t find many. I found a lot of links to emails for more info, media kits that could be sent to a PR/Advertising firm, and basic pages like I had with no mention of anything other than what they blogged about.

Until Scary Mommy. Who put it all out there and made me think, “She’s doing something right, so I’ll take her lead.” I mean, yeah, her stats rock. Heck – if I had them I’d frickin’ change the name of my blog “90,000 page loads a month.” But I don’t, and so I just put what I do have. I picked the brains of a few dear blogging friends (who shall remain unnamed because I didn’t ask them if I could share their names) but that also advertise and then I took the plunge.

I don’t know if my stats after a year of blogging are good or bad. I have no idea what to compare them too. I don’t know if it’s a number where people click and think, “Yeah, she’d be great to advertise with,” or they see them and cringe.

I don’t know because I guess it’s not something anyone wants to share publicly. Maybe it’s like your Aunt May talking about her hemorrhoids at Christmas dinner. Somethings are just better left private.

But – “Hi my name is Aunt May” – I blog and yeah, I’m making a little bit of money off it. I put my stats out there because I don’t have a media kit and whatever I was doing before didn’t work. I don’t know everything about this, I’m reading and asking questions and stumbling through it. I hope another blogger finds my page, and thinks, “Oh hey, I have the same numbers, maybe I’ll advertise” and then gives it a whirl. (And if you have questions, I’m here. If I don’t know the answer I’ll find someone who does.)

I don’t blog for money. I would still write if no one advertised ever. I don’t look at the people who comment or read faithfully as my “target audience,” and neither do any of the bloggers I spoke with. I certainly don’t expect to pay for our next home. ::snorts::

But it’s validating to have these advertisers whose products I love and believe in take the plunge with me. I can finally answer the questions we bloggers get asked all.the.time, “So, what does your blog actually do? Why are you on there so much if you don’t get paid?”

And that my friends? That does kinda rock.

• Law Momma

January 19, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Advertising scares me. I live in a constant state of am I good enough? But you are encouraging me to at least put it out there. So maybe I’ll take my @bellebeandog approved media kit and turn it into an advertising page.

Or not. I can’t decide. HELP ME!

January 21, 2011 at 10:59 am

A. Where is this media kit?

B. Your stats are probably better than mine, so you should give it a whirl. It’s just a different aspect of blogging. But, it does add more time to blogging, so make sure you’re ready to amp it up a few more hours a week. <3

• Angela

January 16, 2011 at 8:02 pm

I think it’s spectacular that you are making a little money doing something you already like! I am still trying to transition my blog from “hey family, these are my kids & this is what we do each day” to more genuine/pertinent posts. One day I’d like to be able to advertise, not only for the money, but because it would mean that I had enough people reading to know that what I was putting out there was being received by someone (if that makes sense!)

January 16, 2011 at 1:51 pm

And all of this talk makes me realize I’m too technology retarded to start a blog. So I’ll live vicariously through my Facebook statuses. 🙂

January 16, 2011 at 5:40 pm

NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Jen, you would be SO funny at blogging. It does take time to learn it all – no matter what you decide to do it for. Just getting it to publish without being all jacked up took me weeks. 🙂 But its so worth it because it’s such a freeing thing to do if you love to write.

• Branson

January 16, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I have always wondered about how all that worked. Nothing I personally want to do right now, but I think it is a cool idea for sahm’s in particular. I think it is also kind of cool that me visiting you helps you (and my othet favorite bloggers) in a tangible way 😉 now I can better justify my time spent reading, hehe…

January 16, 2011 at 5:39 pm

I love that you feel that way and not, “Omg I’m never coming back here.”

And? I love your comments. The one about how you like to see my blog pop up with a new post made my week.

• kim

January 16, 2011 at 12:03 pm

I am impressed that you are making some mad money from something that you enjoy so very much and that you are talented in. Good for you!

January 16, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Mad money – lol. 🙂 Thanks Kim. <3

• Tweets that mention Letting the stats out of the bag | — Topsy.com

January 16, 2011 at 10:43 am

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Diana, Diana. Diana said: Letting the stats out of the bag: If you’ve poked around on here lately, you’ve seen my Advertising page. I chan… http://bit.ly/i9tlSu […]

• Alena

January 16, 2011 at 9:53 am

I am so indecisive about advertising. Would it be nice to buy a cookie and hot chocolate at starbucks through the blog? Sure but I would feel paranoid and worried about making sure people got a returnfor their money that I would be stressed. As of now there’s only one company I would consider doing ad space with and because we are still far from making that arrangement I don’t even worry about it!

January 16, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I was worried about the same things. But then several people explained it to me – it’s not like that. My husband asked if I called every number on TV or a billboard that showed an ad. And of course not. So then he asked what the purpose of them is – and why a lot of them are so repetitive. And I said I guessed so when the people did need or want the product/service, they would remember the ad.
      And that’s what it’s all about.

• LCW

January 16, 2011 at 9:41 am

I currently have some ads, and I’m finding it to be a daunting undertaking. I don’t plan on just “auto renewing” them either. I won’t be sending out invoices blankly each month. If particular sponsors want to continue we’ll talk, if not I’m letting the ads run out. It’s become clear to me that I was not cut out to market my blog and pursue ads. I’m happy to just recommend my favorite products without anything in return. Way less stress. Sponsors want paying customers….but I can’t deliver that all the time.

January 16, 2011 at 9:51 am

My sponsors and I have an understanding that my readers aren’t going to feel obligated to click on their ads. I personally know them, have worked with them, and love them. I think that makes a huge difference in having them on here as opposed to having companies that expect a payday.

And they can renew or not. It’s up to them. We’re all keeping it low key and casual – if it works, wonderful. If not, then we part ways with no hard feelings.

But I enjoy being able to give some of the companies and people I love a little more exposure. 🙂