WAKE UP.

February 5, 2011

To the woman who fell into the mall coin pond because she was texting, to the mother suing Nutella for false advertising, to the people who think McDonalds is the only reason they are raising sumo wrestlers at age 8, to the kid who fell on the train tracks because he was so busy playing his Playstation portable, to the general stupidity of everyone who thinks that the world revolves around them and they have no personal responsibility for anything:

WAKE UP. PULL YOUR HEAD OUT AND GET A CLUE.

No one is shoving fast food down your throat. If you can’t handle your kid in the backseat whining for McDonalds, you’ve got bigger problems than what they cook their fries in.

TELL YOUR KID NO. NO, WE DON’T EAT THERE.

Hate the commercials that ply your children with happy McDonalds memories while asking them to eat chicken nuggets covered with an ingredient found in lighter fluid?

TURN OFF THE TV.

Don’t like feeling like an idiot on camera when you’re so busy staring at your phone you fall into a small pond?

SHUT ‘ER DOWN.

Pissed that Nutella claims it’s healthy? ::eyeroll:: For goodness sake, look at the ingredients. And? Your kid and you shouldn’t be eating so much of it – it’s a treat not a meal plan.

And what on earth was that parent thinking letting their kid walk around not looking at the world but at a tiny game? How many people did he bump into before he took a dive onto the tracks? Why do we have to constantly be entertained by something other than life itself?

USE THE WORD NO. NO, NO, NO. WE DO NOT PLAY ON SMALL TV SCREENS WHILE WE WALK NEAR TRAINS.

Technology? Is making us stupider. And fatter. And more selfish. And lazy.

And suing other people because of it? Because we are that stupid as a society?

::HEADEXPLOSION::

• Alison

February 8, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Shut ‘er down, is kinda like Larry the cable guy’s “get ‘er dun” I think we could go big with that phrase. Also, I adore the video of the texting and falling into the fountain. Welcome to America 🙂

• Kimberly

February 7, 2011 at 5:46 pm

When I injured my back at work, I was astonished when the ER doctor had asked me if I had a lawyer. I just injured it only a short hour ago. I chuckled at him thinking he was joking and he looked me ded in the eye and said you’re Canadia so you don’t understand. We are sue happy here.”
    Now Canada is just as sue hap don’t get me wrong. I just found it odd that every encounter I was asked if I was suing.
    I ended up having to get a lawyer since my injury was so severe that I needed surgery to correct. But I was only suing them to get them to pay for
    My medical. Because there are so many people who abuse this system, people like me who have legitimate cases get the run around. It’s a shame really.

February 7, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Wow. Just wow. I am shocked that a Dr. would ask you that right off the bat. Isn’t it crazy?

We are out of control with suing here. It’s made way too easy.

• t.bird

February 7, 2011 at 7:46 am

wait…Nutella isn’t healthy?!
    shit.

February 7, 2011 at 10:05 pm

I promise not to tell if you don’t. Because sometimes?

::whispers:: I consume a half jar in one sitting.

Hence the reason I no longer buy it on a regular basis.

• Kat

February 6, 2011 at 9:32 am

I agree 100%! We are totally responsible for everything we put in our (& our kids’) mouths, for where we choose to go and how we choose to get there. Put down the cell phone, iPad, video game, watch where you’re going, live in the moment and, for goodness sake, look at the damn ingredients list!

February 7, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Absolutely! Amen sista, I am on your page.

• Erika

February 6, 2011 at 7:31 am

AAA-HAHAHAHA! And this is why you’re my favorite. Just the way I needed to spend my Sunday morning cup of coffee. Okay okay. . .stop laughing. . .breathe. . .breathe. . .

February 7, 2011 at 10:04 pm

That made my morning. 🙂

• Cole

February 5, 2011 at 9:37 pm

AMEN. Mommy is a teacher and is often *appalled* by her students’ lack of accountability and personal responsibility – and then she meets their parents. o_0

• Meredith

February 5, 2011 at 7:23 pm

For real!

• Cindy @ This Adventure, Our Life

February 5, 2011 at 7:03 pm

I love this! All the things I think and I feel like shaking people saying “hello”!!! Serious?? I have to say though I am sad that our society today is influenced by sooo many unhealthy ways and things. I wish we could watch TV without all the BS, and go to the mall, etc, without seeing all the Cr@p. I am so flabbergasted the things people sue for, it seriously creates so many stupid laws, rules, etc….There was this wheel chair bound man in Morro Bay (or close by), California who was going around sueing small shops and places left and right for ADA (handicapped accessibility rules) just for the heck of it, over DUMB things. I am allowed to call them dumb (with my architectural degree), because we were talking inches here and there, serious? I am all for handicapped accessibility, but come on. Anyways, off my rant, it all comes down to stupidity and money in my opinion. Stupidity with technology and wanting more and more money.

February 7, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Money is the other driving factor. We get closer to that movie “Idiocracy” every day.

• Not There Yet

February 5, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Amen sister!

• Krista

February 5, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Nuetella isn’t healthy? You don’t say!

But is it good? I’ve never been able to put my peanut butter down long enough to try it.

February 7, 2011 at 10:03 pm

OMG. You simply MUST have Nutella. On strawberries, with your peanut butter, it’s amazing.

Like chocolatey heaven.

February 5, 2011 at 4:10 pm

My cousin and I were just talking about this. New technology helps us to do things our parents never dreamed of. And it also makes us generally lazy, and gives some people a false sense of intelligence. I guess they think that if technology can think for them, then they don’t have to use their brains as much. So we become lazier and dumber. But there are also just plain dumb people in the world. Which is why coffee cups say, “Caution. Contents may be hot.” No freaking duh. Unfortunately, the court systems cater to these morons.

February 7, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I swear, they will just cancel school soon because you can Google everything. So why bother?

• Tweets that mention WAKE UP. | — Topsy.com

February 5, 2011 at 1:46 pm

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by lydia p harris, Diana. Diana said: Blogged: It’s you. http://goo.gl/fb/RBsmF […]

• kim

February 5, 2011 at 1:35 pm

‘shut ‘er down’
    it’s like you’re in my head. Except I’m not smart enough to actually put these thoughts down onto paper (screen?) and make them into something coherent. I love this. Seriously.