You know what they say about a knitter with big hands…

February 7, 2011

I decided to take up knitting. I’ve done it before and loved it, loved the way the yarn felt in my hands, loved the clicking of the needles, loved the sense of accomplishment I felt.

Even if I felt it looking at what started as a baby blanket and ended as a lopsided scarf with large, gaping holes.

It’s been years since I tried it, and with Sam leaving soon, I need things to keep me busy. I felt all uber crunchy thinking about doing it.

After announcing it on Facebook (nothing is official until it’s on Facebook), I got some great advice from my crafty friends about how to start. Things like, “types of yarn” “patterns” and “needle sizes.” Feeling adventurous, I decided to google “Beginners Knitting Kit.” For like an all-in-one deal.

What I got was kits from Lisa Frank covered in hearts and ponies with exciting titles, “Knit your own friendship bracelets! Ages 8+”

So then I realized I might have to buy things individually. Fine. I could understand the yarn, I would simply pick a color. And patterns? Well, square or something. But needles. Therein lied the problem. Sized needles.

How did I know the size I would need? I thought about it and realized it must have something to do with my hand size. So in searching for needles, I would need to know how a hand size was measured. Maybe something like from the bottom of your palm to the tip of your middle finger. And a chart showing the equivalent needle.

I looked and looked, but for the life of me nothing would tell me how to measure my hands to find the right needles. I became frustrated, because it couldn’t be this hard. I bet I was a small or medium, and yet I couldn’t find anything about it.

Then. My dear, crunchy friend Kim, who sent Bella all kinds of fun knit stuff when she was tiny, emailed me. With a sweet letter that said, “I have sent you some knitting things to get started, a pattern, yarn, and the needles to go with it…”

Oh dear, I thought. How did she know what size hands I had and I didn’t even know? Did she guess? What if I got ones that were too big – like for Khloe Kardashian hands?

And then it hit me. The needles? Are sized for the project.

Not my hands.

Nice.

• Alison

February 8, 2011 at 1:04 pm

You know I love the Kardashians…one could only dream to have hands like them… 🙂 knit me something!

February 8, 2011 at 11:26 pm

I’m going to knit you a Hummer cover. lol

• Not There Yet

February 8, 2011 at 11:02 am

So funny! I also want to learn how to knit – sweaters, socks, etc.
    I can’t seem to move on from embroidery and cross stitch… perhaps an exchange???

February 8, 2011 at 11:25 pm

I did cross stitch with I was little – never finished anything though. We should knit together – if I learn fast enough I’ll make tiny baby booties for you. 🙂

• Erin

February 8, 2011 at 9:27 am

ooooh! who knew lol! and i thought sizing CDs was difficult lol 🙂

February 8, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Just when you think you’ve got all this crunchy stuff down, someone tosses knitting needles into the mix.

• LCW

February 8, 2011 at 8:26 am

Funny, I do know how to measure a hand…I needed it for a glove size. So if you still need that info, I am full of useless stuff to share.

• kim

February 8, 2011 at 7:12 am

I just choked on my toast. I know you told me about this, but *seeing* it in print . . . awe.some. I can just see you, scouring the internet, frantically trying to find a hand chart. Is it like those mats they have on the floor at the kiddie shoe store that you stand the kid on to gauge shoe size? Or a piece of paper that you cut out and measure with, like to estimate ring size? I so love this!!

• allison

February 8, 2011 at 6:16 am

ha! Oh, Diana, you are so cute! Please share whatever you make – good or bad – I promise I’ll be impressed. I knit a little bit years ago, but I was too stubborn to learn more than a basic stitch and just wound up with a very large blanket – warm, but not particularly creative. Good luck!

February 8, 2011 at 11:23 pm

I will share it – thank you for wanting to see! I can’t wait to get started.

• Tweets that mention You know what they say about a knitter with big hands… | — Topsy.com

February 7, 2011 at 10:17 pm

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Sharon DeVellis, Diana. Diana said: Blogged: You know what they say about a knitter with big hands… http://goo.gl/fb/aFamZ […]

February 7, 2011 at 9:45 pm

This is funny. Not funny ha-ha, but funny because I would have TOTALLY thought the exact same thing. Actually, I DID think the exact same thing until I read this post. Thank you for helping me to learn something new today. (Well, that and how to measure vomit. Don’t ask.)
    And seriously?? Lisa Frank is still around?? That old hag has got to be somewhere near 90 years old.

February 8, 2011 at 11:23 pm

No kidding. Or just dead.

Ew at measuring vomit.

• Summer Davis

February 7, 2011 at 9:38 pm

I am laughing so hard right now. No lie. I desperately want to learn to knit but I crochet. I could have, however; told you that needle size was based on the gauge you were going for in your project, not the size of your hands. I think that’s the best thing I’ve heard since my 3 yr old son (now 9) told me he was going to beat me into next week. 🙂

February 8, 2011 at 11:22 pm

🙂 I thought about crochet, but I decided to start with knitting at the moment and see how it goes.

• shannon milliorn

February 7, 2011 at 9:36 pm

ahhhh so something i would do!

• TheNextMartha

February 7, 2011 at 9:36 pm

This was a post about knitting. So, I’ll be getting a hat in a month or so from you?

February 8, 2011 at 11:21 pm

I started a sweater…

It has a “#SM” logo – for storm meat of course.