The Power of Prayer

May 20, 2011

In the evening, I am weary. I watch Bella start to rub her eyes and I stifle back a yawn as I glance at the clock.

Dinner, bathie, and story. All of which I try so hard to be “in the moment” and attentive for. Her little eyes watch me to see if I’m watching her. Pouring water, splashing, running around the house with her little naked buns, and screaming with laughter as I growl and go to catch her.

We snuggle in for a book once she is clean. I inhale the smell of her slight baby-ness still, so faint and almost gone. She picks a book, maybe two. Halfway through she decides she’ll read it to me instead. Her babbles make me smile.

I scoop her up in my arms with kisses and place her in bed. As she looks up at me, paci in her mouth and puppy on the side of her cheek to rub, I reflect on our day. Sometimes it was hard, lots of tears and frustrations took place. Sometimes it was beautiful, and I feel a sense of pride in having a day I did my very best and it worked.

I am tired. The crib presses into my chest as I lean over towards her and know that in a few short minutes, I will have the night to myself. Her eyes droop and then snap open as she feels me put my hand on her head.

As we do almost every night, I begin to pray. A simple prayer, I thank God for our day and ask Him to watch over Daddy, our families, and friends. I stay in the moment, everything else but her soft breathing and my words fades away.

I pray that tomorrow, I will do my best. Be patient and kind. Be loving and cherish the moments I am given with her. That I will lay my worries and fears about our upcoming months at His feet and do my best to trust and have faith.

When I am done, Bella is gazing up at me. I whisper to her that I love her, send a kiss down with my fingertips to her forehead. She turns onto her stomach and falls asleep.

As I leave, I know whatever happened that day is done. A new start. The power of prayer, of a quiet moment of reflection with your child, whatever it is that you believe in – if you use it to end your day it washes everything else away.

For just a moment, time stands still and you both are simply there. Together. Remembering the love that is between you and not the mistakes of today. The power of prayer – is that it changes everything.

• Kelly

May 24, 2011 at 5:59 pm

That’s so beautiful! Sometimes it’s hard to be in the moment and I get caught up worrying about the next thing that needs to be done but I really try to be present and in the moment for my daughter because I know these moments will be gone so quickly and whatever else I was concerning myself with won’t even matter.

• Rusti

May 23, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I feel as if I’ve been struck with brilliance… I often tend to pray while driving from work to daycare, or at night once I’m finally in bed alone and I wonder how I’ve never even thought to pray WITH Goose as we’re rocking or cuddling before she goes to sleep… I’m just shaking my head in disbelief at myself… what a perfect time to pray, and with my baby girl no longer such a baby at 2.5 – soon she’ll be able to pray with me, and then to me, like she currently sings to and with me at night… I treasure our before bed cuddling as it’s the only time of the day we’re together that isn’t filled with eating dinner, playing and bathing…

this was a beautiful post, and eye-opening for me. thanks for sharing…

May 21, 2011 at 8:38 am

I love saying family prayers, just wait until she can start saying them (with or without help) it really touches yo, and pulls on tour heartstrings. You are a great mother and an awesome example to friends, family, and especially to Bella!

• Alyson

May 21, 2011 at 12:22 am

Thats amazing and that will be something she remembers the rest of her life. I try to do the same thing at night, and reflect back on my day and ask God what I need to work on better for the days to come. I love how you put that the day is behind us after that. 🙂 You’re such an amazing mom

• Ruth Hill

May 20, 2011 at 10:45 pm

What a beautiful thing to share. You certainly sound like such a wonderful and loving mother. How on earth could anyone question your parenting skills? Keep up the good work!

• kim

May 20, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Erika is right. This was poetry. You have me crying.:) You’re doing a beautiful job.

• Miranda

May 20, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Beautiful, friend. Dan gives most of the nighttime sippies, but secretly, even if I complain, I don’t mind having to hold him in the middle of the night. There’s something about the quiet that allows me to just soak him in and in that moment, I am worry-free.

Ahhh. I love this.

hi

• Blair@HeirtoBlair

May 20, 2011 at 10:13 am

beautiful.

• Jess@Straight Talk

May 20, 2011 at 10:07 am

I love this and I do the same thing. You can’t underestimate the power of prayer.

• Beth

May 20, 2011 at 9:11 am

Well done. Keep going. Don’t give up. You will be rewarded with a child who is compassionate and kind hearted…a child of God who will love Him with all her heart and be forever strong in her convictions – just like her momma 😉

• Lauren

May 20, 2011 at 9:01 am

Amazing, beautiful post. I actually just did a post on the power of prayer. It truly is incredible.

• Erika @Namammaste

May 20, 2011 at 8:33 am

That’s such a good idea AND that was an ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL post. It was poetry. Thank you for sharing that.

I have trouble figuring out when to fit in prayer with Dylan during the day because he never stops moving, but bedtime would be the perfect time. When I nurse Dylan to sleep every night, I reflect on the day and I always leave the room with a sense of peace, so I don’t know why it never occurred to me to pray with him.

• Janelle

May 20, 2011 at 8:32 am

This post made me cry – out of jealousy. My kids spend 10 hours a day at daycare. I soak up every second of the evening I can, but it is never enough – and the wee ones are always so tired that the only fair thing to do is to put them to bed early, despite my inner please for more time…
    Without a doubt, you are doing your best for Bella. She is a lucky little girl.

May 23, 2011 at 11:57 am

🙁 This comment made me sad – I never meant to have it come off as “I get to do this because I stay at home.” I know how tired you and the kids must be by the end of the day. I’m sorry friend, I hope you know I would never post anything that makes me seem like my days are so much better.

• Rebecca

May 20, 2011 at 8:31 am

Wonderful post. So perfectly captures the magic of bedtime and being a momma 🙂

• Branson

May 20, 2011 at 8:30 am

So, sooo beautiful. I loved this post more than anything else I have read today…

• Teresa

May 20, 2011 at 8:29 am

This is so beautifully written! What a special moment. My son is 4 now and he requests a prayer every night. 🙂 I don’t even remember when it started but I’m guessing around 3. I wish I had started even sooner.