Put your fingertips together for More, More, More

June 21, 2011

For the love of all that is holy –

WHY MUST BABY SIGNING TIME BE SO CATCHY?

If I hear myself sing those songs one more time, I will scream.

And yet.

It works. Because after I wrote the post on Bella being recommended for speech therapy, I started to work with her on signs. Not really sure what I was doing, I started with “More” and went from there.

And we did ok. Except I had to continually Google what all the signs were. And sometimes I wasn’t real clear on how to do them still.

Then sweet Brooke from Whimsy Valentine sent me the Baby Signing Time DVDs. Brooke – you are amazing. You can go ahead and put “Sanity Saver” on your resume, list me as a reference. Then while watching the dvds, I wondered a lot of things. (You know you did too. Maybe about the outfit.) But mostly I wondered how Bella was going to learn from them – would she really *get* what they were saying and doing?

Then she signed milk. Eat. Dog. Cracker. Bathie. Up. Sleep. Help. Baby.

In a week.

It was like a different child came to live in my house. The tantrums of epic proportions? Cut in half. Of course she still has them, but I stop her and say, “Tell me Bella, what is it?” Most of the time she can sign something to me about it. The best part is she also has started to try to say the words while signing.

Every morning I pop in 10-15 minutes of one of them. We don’t have cable and Bella rarely watches TV so the moment it’s on she runs to watch it. She loves the babies, and that’s the part that she really picks up on. Seeing how the kids her age sign and then having them get what they sign for makes her do it.

I love them. In fact, as I was writing this I turned to Sam (we’ve spent all day packing for our El Paso move) and asked all panicky, “What did you do with my Signing Time DVD when we took the TV down?”

Thankfully he was spared a meltdown/mini stroke on my end when he answered it was still in the PlayStation.

So thanks Baby Signing Time. For changing our daily lives. For encouraging Bella to start speaking. And for putting songs in my head that I can’t stop singing no matter how very much I want to.

• Kelly

June 29, 2011 at 3:10 pm

That’s awesome it’s working so well! It’s so amazing what being able to communicate does for a baby/toddler!

• Janelle

June 27, 2011 at 7:10 pm

You should get a commission – I just bought a baby signing time DVD. I’m hoping the epic “whine and point” can be replaced by something more productive, like a sign for “more” or “milk.” Fingers crossed!

• D

June 23, 2011 at 9:21 am

And now I will be singing those songs in my head the rest of the day… thanks 😉 My daughter LOVES Baby Signing Time! At first I didn’t think she was getting it, but we recently got the second dvd and she is obsessed. I couldn’t believe how quickly she started picking up the signs and using them! Glad it’s working well for you/Bella too!

• SallyAnderson

June 22, 2011 at 4:12 pm

As the mother of Brooke & lucky grandmother of Ruby, I have to tell you that what Brooke & Ajax are doing w/ Ruby and signing is nothing less than amazing to us. She can communicate so well and has a HUGE vocabulary for a 20 month old. Just the other day we were on Skype with them and Brooke didn’t understand something Ruby was saying so she asked her to sign it, which Ruby did and Brooke then understood what Ruby was trying to say. Seems like a win-win proposition. So happy that it’s working well for you, too!

• Laura

June 22, 2011 at 9:21 am

Hi, just found your blog and am a new follower! I am about to embark on the sign language stuff as well. I have no idea what I’m doing, but I think it will be helpful for my 8 month old. I think he will pick it up pretty quickly, but me? I’m a little slow! Oh well, good luck!

• Good Girl Gone Green

June 22, 2011 at 5:32 am

I listen to the sesame street CD a million times a day and have contemplated gouging my eyes and jumping out a window, but little E loves the songs and it makes her so happy! Well at least one of us is….I am so excited for you that this DVD is helping Bella! That is super news! 🙂

• Brooke

June 21, 2011 at 10:31 pm

First – the second I read your title I started signing that danged song! LOL!
    Second – I warned you…
    But seriously, I am totally crying reading this. So happy to that they are working for you guys! I read this post to Ajax and could barely read it through the tears.
    Also, the Signing Time (not Baby Signing Time) DVDs are awesome too and will give you MORE ear-worms. Because that’s just what you need…
    Hugs to you guys. Sending lots of good happy stress-free vibes for the move!

• Suz @ Suz’s Treats

June 21, 2011 at 12:50 pm

That’s awesome that it’s working!

• k

June 21, 2011 at 12:21 pm

The songs ARE catchy! I love & hate that about children’s shows. Have youe ver seen Caillou? It’s probably the worst!

• Cathy

June 21, 2011 at 11:15 am

Yay! You should take video so we can see 🙂

• Katrina

June 21, 2011 at 11:10 am

My sister loves those DVD’s for her kids…she said it’s been a real sanity saver for her too as her youngest isn’t really that interested in talking (he’s two) but he’ll sign. It helps them understand each other!!!

• Miranda

June 21, 2011 at 8:10 am

We didn’t use Baby Signing Time, but isn’t baby signing AWESOME? I mean, the fact that he could tell me what he wanted before he could say it was immensely helpful in making me not have a complete meltdown all the time.

And you know? Joshua taught “all done” to his class at daycare. He was doing it and soon all the toddlers were doing it, too. So now? The teacher signs “all done” and “more” with them.

• Teresa

June 21, 2011 at 8:08 am

How cool! I have always wanted to learn sign language. I see that lady on nickjr sometimes and my son likes to sign the angry face, lol!