I did it.

June 14, 2011

3 1/2 months ago I put on my big girl panties and decided to make the best of being a single parent for a few months.

Sam comes home this Thursday. πŸ™‚ A whole month sooner than we planned (military life at it’s finest). We currently are moving next week with no where to live, losing $1,000 on this apartment because we weren’t able to give enough notice (60 days? really?), and had to pay for him to come home since the Army would only pay for him to go to El Paso. Also? Doing a DITY move because we didn’t have enough moving notice to have the Army do it for us.

::whew::

Besides the obvious mess and fact that we are both stressed out trying to figure out our first PCS move, there is the fact that we did this. The excitement in having Daddy home again. The knowledge that for a while, we’ll get to be together again as a family.

So when I wrote that post after he left, I had some goals. Let’s see how I did, shall we?

Eating healthier: Check. It’s a lot easier to do this when you just won’t buy it for yourself. Never grocery shop hungry. Never.

Eating less: *sigh* Kinda check? I don’t know. I’m a stress eater. So lately, I just pick away at things as I stress out. Because that helps. ::eyeroll::

Eating all organic: Not all, but most. Organic is expensive, let’s not kid ourselves. But I’d say 80%. And when we move it’ll be a lot less because we can’t afford it as much. Fun while it lasted.

New recipes: Check. I have a few fun ones up my sleeve to share on FB once I have the time.

More active: Check. We have done almost everything there is to do in this town. We go out nearly every day to some activity.

Knitting: On and off, but yes.

Learning to do things on my own: This could be a post in itself. I was so afraid of two things happening to me while Sam was gone – a flat tire, and having a flight canceled.

Check and check. And not only did I survive them (I know, right?), but I also now know what to do should it happen again. (No please.)

These past 14 weeks alone have taught me that I have the ability to do things on my own. That when it comes down to it, I can raise our child, run our household, deal with bills and tow truck drivers and horrid airlines (I’m looking at you Delta), fly more than halfway across the country with Bella in tow, and pack almost our entire home – by myself.

So next time, when it’s longer and harder and there are no trips to see Daddy, I’ll remember this post. I’ll remember that it was hard, that I was exhausted and wondered why for the love of Moses Bella had to wake up at 6:30 every.flippin’.morning. That it sucked to have no one to cuddle with at night. That my favorite TV shows were left with me being the only one laughing. That I had to cook a meal every night for us even when I didn’t feel like it. That Bella woke up with night terrors almost every night while Sam was gone.

But her and I did it. We made it through the first round. And we can, and will, do it again.

But until then? I’m going to take a break and let him do it for a while. :p

• Bonnie

June 15, 2011 at 4:02 am

We had our homecoming about 3 weeks ago and it was like a huge weight had been lifted. Let him help πŸ˜€

• Janelle

June 14, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Well done! Seriously – you met most of your goals (especially the important ones, like staying active) and hopefully have some fantastic family time in front of you. Congrats!

• Janelle

June 14, 2011 at 8:56 pm

• Kelly

June 14, 2011 at 5:24 pm

You did pretty awesome being without Sam for so long! And I’m really impressed with how great you did on your goals! I hope the Army is reimbursing you for the move too!

June 15, 2011 at 8:38 pm

They are! We just have to wait and see how much, so until then we’re skimping along trying to make up our months rent on the move.

• Amber

June 14, 2011 at 5:20 pm

You are awesome. That is all.

(wait, I lied. your new photo in the corner is fabulous. NOW, that is all.)

• melissa

June 14, 2011 at 4:47 pm

WOOT!!!!!!!!!

• TheNextMartha

June 14, 2011 at 4:04 pm

You did it. And not giving your money back after 60day? Boo!

• story

June 14, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Congrats! And also, on the eating thing? In Texas, they have YEAR ROUND farmers markets. True story.

June 15, 2011 at 8:37 pm

I just bumped Texas up two more notches on my “Things I kinda like” list. True story. πŸ™‚

• Susan

June 14, 2011 at 12:16 pm

If you have military orders for your move, I don’t think that your landlord can use the lack of notification time against you. Check it out. I remember that if you had to break a lease because of orders, they couldn’t stop you or hold it against you monitarily.

June 15, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Our state has this law that if you give orders, you owe for the next rental payment period. So because we handed them over June 1st, our next payment was July 1st. One day sooner and we would have just paid for June. We’ve looked every which way for a way out but we’re stuck. :/

1. Susan

June 15, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Bummer! God bless you on your move. It’s nice that you are on your way a month earlier than expected. Happy Trails to you…

• Teresa

June 14, 2011 at 11:51 am

I admire your bravery so much. I feel like I may have fallen apart, but I guess we don’t really know what we are capable of until we are faced with challenges! Great job, Diana! I am excited for you ladies to be with your man again.

June 15, 2011 at 8:35 pm

You know, I was so afraid I would fall apart. And I wasn’t sure I could handle it everyday. But I think amazing strength comes in when you don’t have a choice.

• Lisa @ Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy

June 14, 2011 at 11:34 am

You are awesome and should be soooo proud!!!!!!

• Katrina

June 14, 2011 at 11:32 am

I’m really surprised that they aren’t letting you out since you are moving on military orders…My husband is the KING of getting things cancelled and moved on military orders!!! lol
    And the Army not having enough notice to move you??? I think someone is just lazy and not wanting to do their job. Because we gave them about three weeks notice and had no issues whatsoever. But you can actually make a fair amount of money on a DITY.
    I know what you mean about having to do stuff on your own. It sucks…really, really sucks. Especially when your car breaks down on your birthday. Right after you found out that your grandma had a stroke and isn’t expected to live. And then your lawnmower dies. The DAY that someone is supposed to be buying it. And then your sewer system quits working. Right AFTER you had a baby. ARGH!!!! I was SO thrilled when Basic/AIT was over and I didn’t have to deal with the stress of all that stuff by myself!
    Kuddos to you to making it through it all with your sanity, big girl panties, and goals you were able to achieve! πŸ™‚

June 15, 2011 at 8:35 pm

OMG. I would have given up. You are amazing. ((hugs))

• t.bird

June 14, 2011 at 11:14 am

kudos!

• Miranda

June 14, 2011 at 10:16 am

Yay!! You did it! Yay!

• Erika @NAMAmmaSTE

June 14, 2011 at 10:14 am

Rock on super mom πŸ™‚ You did an amazing job!

I’m also so happy for you that it’s over for now.

June 15, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Thanks πŸ™‚ <3 you

• stephanie pierson-clark

June 14, 2011 at 9:24 am

Congrats Diana u are one strong and accomplished women πŸ™‚ hope moving goes best as it can. Love ur blogs and look forward to many more.

June 15, 2011 at 8:34 pm

This comment made my day because I didn’t even know you read my blog. πŸ™‚

• Jennifer @ Also Known As…the Wife

June 14, 2011 at 9:18 am

Rock on momma!

• Teresa

June 14, 2011 at 9:09 am

Congrats!

(And don’t stress too much about the DITY…ours was a bit of a mess & I did the taxes wrong to boot, but it all worked out in the end – thank goodness you can always refile taxes.)

June 15, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Oh lordy, I forgot all about taxes…

• Krista

June 14, 2011 at 9:09 am

Atta girl! So glad to see you giving yourself some credit. Being on your own with a child for 3.5 months is a HARD gig. You did good, my friend.

June 15, 2011 at 8:33 pm