Sunday Confessions: I hate drains.

June 5, 2011

I am terrified of drains. And when I say terrified, I mean so scared that even looking at one under the water makes me feel all shaky and freaked out.

Pool drains are THE WORST. I have never, ever, in my life, gone within 10 feet of a pool drain on purpose. And the one time I did I near had a heart attack trying to get away from it. I can’t swim over them, near them, or within eye sight of them. Each pool I get into has to be checked for a drain to avoid first.

Sam swore there were no drains in the Georgia pool, but I knew better. And sure enough, I walked by the pool the next day and there were three frickin’ drains. I never went in the deep end again.

There is something so evil and eerie about a pool drain.

I'm not joking, I almost couldn't look at this picture long enough to copy it.

On a slightly smaller scale of fear, in order of most to least, is:

• a bathtub drain
  • a pool/tub water jet
  • a sink drain

And why? Because when I was little, I saw a movie (Ghostbusters?) where an octopus came out of a drain and killed people. And then of course, we’ve all seen the warnings of kids getting stuck on drains under the pool.

It’s a fear that is totally paralyzing. One summer I tried out to be a lifeguard (right? We all know where this is going.) I jumped in, realized there were 2 DRAINS directly under me, and had to be lifted out because I froze up and screamed in terror.

It’s ok if you don’t love me any more after this post. Really.

Link up your own confession below:

• Miranda

June 7, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Know what drains I’m afraid of? Sewer drains. Because of Stephen King and that damned Pennywise the clown. Motherofpearl! Those things scare me now!

• Rusti

June 6, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I don’t generally have an issue with sink or bathtub/shower drains, but pool drains – yep. they get me too. I’ve seen too many shows on the dangers of kids getting stuck in pool drains, or the whole “drowning” thing has turned me off, I’m not sure which – but I can’t get near them either. I don’t think my phobia is as intense as yours, but I still can’t handle them at all. I just got chills thinking about it even. ugh. I think I need to go make myself a cup of hot chocolate for comfort now.

June 6, 2011 at 7:12 am

Bwahahahahaha!! I’m sorry, but I laugh only because I completely understand. Good to know I’m not the only one out there. We should start a pool drain anonymous. PDA. Hmmmm…On another note, the only thing worse than a drain, is having to clean one. (Hold on while I throw up in my mouth)

• Beth

June 5, 2011 at 12:57 pm

I’m with you on the pool drains. Should I tell you that as a kid, my mom knew another little kid that drowned because he was playing and got his finger caught? Yeah. ::shudder::

• Erika @NAMAmmaSTE

June 5, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I’m afraid of the grates on sidewalks that you sometimes have to walk over in a city. I used to be afraid of pool drains, but not anymore. I think it went away after my parents got a pool. Maybe because I watched my dad clean it and that made it a little less scary?

• Megan B.

June 5, 2011 at 10:48 am

I was never scared of pool drains before, but I am now. There was an article in either Parents or Parenting on what leads parents into advocacy and how it’s usually something that happens to their child that does it. I won’t share the story, though, because it was so sad. In fact, I’ve probably shared too much already.

• Cathy

June 5, 2011 at 9:47 am

Pool drains. I totally Understand….

• TheNextMartha

June 5, 2011 at 8:39 am

I fear my laundry room.

• Teresa

June 5, 2011 at 7:52 am

WOW! I have never seen a pool drain like that before, but then again, I haven’t been in very many larger swimming pools. That IS a creepy picture. One of my many fears is that I would be trapped under water…

I know a few children who are afraid of bathtub drains and they’re parents have to cover the drain with a towel for bath time, because the kids are afraid they will go down with the water 🙁 Aw!