Going to BlogHer11

July 12, 2011

First off – I KNOW. I know other bloggers who read me are probably like, “If I read one.more.post about BlogHer on any other blog I will scream.”

But I’ve been good. I really have. I’ve only mentioned it here or there and I need to write about it. I’ve been itching to sit down and tap this out for a few days now because it’s such a big deal to me. For those of you who have no idea what I’m talking about, BlogHer is a massive conference geared towards women who blog and companies who work with them (ranging from Pepsi to P&G to Hallmark and on and on). It’s a 2 day event, held in San Diego this year, that is going on at the Marriott Hotel and Convention Center and will have about 3,000 attendees.

Last August, about two days after BlogHer10 ended, I bought my tickets. A full year in advance.

::snort::

Anyway, with all the ups and downs of this past year going on, there have been many times I thought I’d just end up selling the ticket. It was a dream, something that was obviously not for me to attend but fun to imagine.

And here I am. 3 weeks away with a plane ticket, hotel reservations, business cards, and a shopping trip planned on Sunday.

I’m even going to Pathfinders Day – the Change Agent one. Which can I just say? I’m almost more excited for than the actual BlogHer conference parts. My speakers include Katherine from Postpartum Progress, and one of the others is Ree from Pioneer Woman.

So yeah. Basically I’m going to be a hot mess the entire time trying not to freak out and act like a crazed fan.

And then there’s my roomies. The last few days I have been thanking my lucky stars and God above for sending these 3 women my way. I don’t know what would have happened to me otherwise. Because I’ve never been to a conference before.

You read that right. Never. And I picked a huge, life changing one as my first.

Go big or stay home.

Suz from Suz Treats, Alena from Charmingly Chandler, and Miranda from Not Super Just Mom are my roommates. I am so excited to meet them after chatting with them for months that I can hardly stand it. Again, hoping the crazed fan look won’t scare them away and I find myself on a roll-away in the hotel hall. Without their posts that make laugh till I cry, their honesty with me and each other, and their smarts on navigating just about everything BlogHer related, I’d be a sad sight to see there.

My friend Erika from NAMAmmaSTE is also going, I’m meeting up with Cindy from This Adventure, Our Life, and maybe, just maybe will get to see one of my nanny families that I miss so much (I used to live in San Diego.).

I’m nervous. I worry that I won’t be the same person as people read on here – I do my best to be honest with you all and simply type my feelings, but it’s a blog so who knows what bits and pieces you’ve gathered over the past 18 months? I worry about not looking professional enough, or being overdressed. I worry about being lost or left out or having absolutely no one ever know me.

But mostly I push all that aside and just revel in the fact that I will meet some of the women I have grown to love and admire so much the past 2 years. I will meet Jen from The Next Martha, Devan from Accustomed Chaos, a bunch of my fellow crunchies on Twitter, and

I know she’s going to hate this :p and be all embarrassed:

I finally get to meet BA from Heir to Blair.

So I simply can’t wait. I’m going hoping to come back a better writer, a better blogger, and with a sense of purpose and a new found love for my blog again. And maybe a deeper sense of knowing where I want to head with it thanks to Pathfinders Day.

If you’re going, let me know. We’ll meet up. Especially if you’re going to Pathfinders.

• Going to BlogHer part 3 {nerves?} | Suz's Treats

July 16, 2011 at 6:47 am

[…] been a lot of posts popping up this week about BlogHer. Ones like Katie‘s, Suzanne‘s,Β Diana‘s, Miranda‘sΒ & Alena‘s about their nerves. I commented on all these awesome […]

• Katrina

July 14, 2011 at 11:06 pm

I am dying to hear about the conference…I’m still really new to the blogging world and the whole BlogHer thing intrigues me. Can’t wait to hear ALL about it; especially the screaming like a little girl when you finally get to meet your roomies! lol

• Kelly

July 13, 2011 at 10:23 pm

What an awesome experience for you! I’m super jealous but can’t wait to read your updates!

• Alexia

July 13, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I’m with Tracy – totally living vicariously. Maybe I’ll be brave enough to buy tickets for next year. Maybe…

Hope you have an amazing time and can’t wait to hear all about it!

• Tracy

July 13, 2011 at 12:30 pm

And I shall live vicariously through you. πŸ™‚ I’m so glad I’m going out of town that weekend with just the hubs. I will be too distracted to pay too much attention to twitter feeds to get too jealous. πŸ™‚

Here’s hoping that my new venture takes off and I can join you in years to come. Or you know, a PNW BlogHer would make things so much easier on me. πŸ™‚

July 13, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Wouldn’t it? BlogHer12, PNW style. And I will be thinking of you while I’m there. Planning our adventure next year as roomies.

• BA

July 13, 2011 at 7:05 am

You are killing me, smalls.

Also? I can’t wait to dry hump your leg in a mere few weeks. FINALLY.

July 13, 2011 at 10:14 pm

It will be prepped and ready.

You are going to think I am the biggest freak ever when I melt down over seeing you. πŸ™‚ Wait for it…

lol

• Cindy @ This Adventure, Our Life

July 12, 2011 at 10:26 pm

SOO Excited to meet you!!! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

• Rebecca

July 12, 2011 at 10:20 pm

I’m gonna be there and am super excited to meet you! I’m actually rooming with Erika πŸ™‚

I’m feeling pretty overwhelmed by the schedule thing (which sessions/parties to attend). I’m clueless about what needs to happen beforehand (RSVPing, etc).

Hoping to meet you and your roomies! And I will be attending part of the pathfinders day but don’t know which session yet πŸ˜›

• molly

July 12, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Eeek! Love this post. I’m going and it’s my first conference ever! I just cannot believe I’m going. I feel much the same way. I was totally jelz of everyone on twitter last year. But now? I’m so there.

I love all your roommates. I’ve been getting to know Miranda more and I hope to meet up with you guys. I am also doing the pathfinder day although I am doing the one where I learn to possibly get a book published =)

Anyway – please tweet me or something. I’d love to meet up with you and your roomies!

• Alyssa

July 12, 2011 at 8:39 pm

I am so so so jealous of you!

July 12, 2011 at 8:51 pm

I am so sad you aren’t going to go. How are we ever going to meet if you don’t go? πŸ™ At least we have FB. πŸ™‚

1. Alyssa

July 12, 2011 at 9:11 pm

I said I was going to go, after hearing so much about it last year, but never got enough $$ together to go. It just costs so much to fly there and everything. πŸ™

Someday we’ll meet. And I can’t wait!

• Ashley

July 12, 2011 at 7:58 pm

So exciting. I’m not sick of hearing about it at all. I love it and can’t wait till I go one day

July 12, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Well, I love to hear that. At least as I blog from there I know one person will come read about it. πŸ™‚ Would love to see you there one day!

• Suz @ Suz’s Treats

July 12, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Thanks for the shout out! I can not wait to meet you & I know I’m going to love you & I double swear that you will not be sleeping in a hallway!

July 12, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Even if I freak out when I see you? lol, I can’t wait. It’s going to be amazing.

• Devan @ Accustomed Chaos

July 12, 2011 at 4:00 pm

I am SO thrilled you get to go this year! Cant wait to give you a HUG! xxo

July 12, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Ditto!! I am so excited to finally meet you!

• Cole

July 12, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Mommy is so jealous – your favorites are our favorites, too! She got to go last year, but that was when it was close to home… flying across country + hotel was just not going to fit into our budget this year. Have fun!

July 12, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Thank you! Maybe next year – and maybe with Bella!

• Leah

July 12, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Blogher11 is my first conference too and I can’t believe its almost here. Its going to be a blast…have fun shopping on Sunday!

July 12, 2011 at 8:43 pm

It came fast – we’ll have to try to connect while we’re there!

• The grumbles

July 12, 2011 at 3:32 pm

I will be there! I’d love to give you a hug! Wooohooooo! Megasquee!

July 12, 2011 at 8:42 pm

YES. I would LOVE a hug. And a chat. And to hang out.

• Dana @SearsFam

July 12, 2011 at 2:51 pm

I am going too! SO excited to meet you all! I am squeeing inside cause my babies are sleeping!

July 12, 2011 at 8:42 pm

I DIDN’T KNOW YOU WERE GOING! OMG, we will HAVE to meet up there!!

1. Dana @SearsFam

July 12, 2011 at 8:44 pm

I think everyone has forgotten about me cause I have been so busy with Mason this year. I has a sad. No one loves me. Even my roomie might have to back out. ::le sugh:: But we totally have to meet up. I am going for pathfinders too!! Do you have your schedule kinda worked out? SHOW ME if you do!

July 12, 2011 at 8:52 pm

I do! Let me see if I can pm it to you on FB, hold on… Which Pathfinders are you going to?

1. Dana @SearsFam

July 12, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I am going to Morning Fundamentals Workshop: My Blog as Business. At least that is what I signed up for! What about you?

July 12, 2011 at 9:01 pm

It won’t let me reply to your last comment (angry WP nesting lol) but I’m doing My Blog as a Change Agent.

• Miranda

July 12, 2011 at 2:51 pm

I’m pumped to be rooming with you. Pumped, I say. And? I will not put you in the hallway. Promise.

July 12, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Oh good. Because I will do my very best to not scream in total delight when I see you and have you scream and run away. :p

• Megan at SortaCrunchy

July 12, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Hey pretty mama! I’ll be there, too!!!!! And it’s also my first ever blogging conference. YEE-HAW!

Hope to see you there!

July 12, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Absolutely! We have to connect.