El Paso has two speeds: Slow and Off

July 11, 2011

Not only is this about the driest place on earth (maybe the Sahara is drier. MAYBE.) it’s also the slowest. And I don’t mean that insultingly. It’s simply a fact. Everyone moves at a snails pace around here.

Every time we need something, call someone, set an appointment – Sam and I add 2 hours to a full day onto the time span. We used to do it as a joke, “The movers said 12 so maybe 4?” until we realized that it truly was 4 that they showed up.

Our property management office is the same way. “We’ll swing by this morning to fix that window!” That was Friday. Today is Monday. The window latch is still broken.

The air conditioning took a week to get fixed. Between 4 different parties dealing with it, I thought I would lose my mind trying to light a fire under someone, anyone, to get it hurried up.

They showed up at 5pm on Friday talking about how they had to stay late to do it. Yes, well. The appointment was at 2 so imagine if you’d gotten here then? You’d already be done.

I like to be on time. I do not like to be late or to wait a long period of time for someone with no explanation. And in Denver, things happened on time, if not early. People were on a schedule. Hours of the day had a purpose. It worked for me, I liked the hustle and bustle when I went out and enjoyed knowing that if they said same day delivery, I could count on them showing up by 3pm.

It’s been hard to get used to, and I’m still not. Having been here only 3 weeks, it’s been a huge adjustment to slow down. Sam loves it. I suspect it also makes him chuckle to see me get all fired up about someone not being on time, and when they do show up they are so nice and “Oh, we got waylaid! Sorry!” that there isn’t anything to say but, “That’s alright.”

Slowing down has been a nice change to the weekends. While we are still putting the house together and mornings are spent being busy, we also have had a chance to explore here more and relax.

– Farmer’s markets:

Handmade Chili Pepper Decorations/Farmers Market with Restaurant/Honey and Dried Corn

– Fixing up new and old favorites:

From top: Angel Hair Pasta with Roasted Vegetables and Fire Roasted Tomato Sauce, Sun Tea, Balsamic Chicken with Mushrooms over Penne

– Cleaning and Waiting (while eating Cherry Garcia ice cream so – worth it)

Yeah. Note to self: There is such a thing as too much Oxy Clean. Good luck getting it off the flloor.

– Poking around the neighborhood with Bella:

Round the block

– Reading a good book:

Raise your hand if you want to throat punch Elizabeth and Hilly. ::raises both::

– And just hanging out together in the evenings:

Sam grilled - it was AMAZING. I gained 5lbs that night. Easily. So did Bella.

So while I’m adjusting, there are great parts to simply having to slow it down. Now today, as I run errands, I have to make that my mantra.

“Will not have a head explosion over how long this is taking, will not have a head explosion over…”

• Kelly

July 13, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Yay for farmer’s markets and a slower pace (sometimes). I really need to read The Help – *everyone* is talking about it right now. And I have the same color/brand stroller (I think), mine’s just a double. I don’t know how I missed you were in Denver – I’m from Colorado Springs. Small world! There’s my random reply of the night (catching up on all my email subs, so beware).

• Diana

July 12, 2011 at 10:05 pm

I found your site through IG, and I’m glad I did because:
    1. I love, love your blog and how awesomely honest you are.
    2. You have the best name in the world!! (duh)
    annnnndddd…
    3. You live in El Paso, I’ve been wanting to go back home for the longest time. We’re in CA right now but I’d give anything to go back. but one thing I def don’t miss is how freakin slow everyone drives and the heat. I def don’t miss the overall slowness they all run on too.

you’ve just made me homesick!

• Not There Yet

July 11, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Welcome to the South!
    (and just cause they talk slow doesn’t mean they *think* slow!!!)

• Teresa

July 11, 2011 at 7:33 pm

I love the title of this post. I would hate the wait. I am in NY, not the city, but we are all in a hurry all the time. Sometimes, I forget to stop and smell the roses!! Does everyone talk s l o w too? The neighborhood looks nice and clean, and I’ll bet your floor does too, after all that oxi-clean!!

• Branson

July 11, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Looks like the pros and cons balance out 😉 Totally craving sun tea now! lol

• Kim

July 11, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I promise I’m not laughing at you. Really. But that last line, well. Yeah, I am. I totally am laughing. (but I’d be losing my mind, so headexplosing, lost mind, eh. What’s the difference?)

• Miranda

July 11, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Ahhh, welcome to the south. We sure do love to lollygag around down here.

• Dana K

July 11, 2011 at 12:25 pm

L O L stuff like that drives my husband crazy, too. It used to bug me a lot but I just pushed through…now I’m fine in the slow lane.

Although, being late for appointments is not acceptable…especially if the appointment involves a major electronic device.

• Krista

July 11, 2011 at 11:51 am

Yeah, I don’t know if I could slow down to that pace either. I don’t like to be rushed, but I hate feeling like it’s too slow, you know? of course you do. you just wrote this post.

Anyway, I just finished reading that book a week or so ago. Loved every second of it.

• Suz @ Suz’s Treats

July 11, 2011 at 10:07 am

Both those recipes sound awesome! I’m going to have to go on FB on my phone {blocked at work} & write them down!

• Noelle

July 11, 2011 at 9:59 am

I know exactly how you feel. Moving from Manhattan to Louisville was a major culture shock. People actually aren’t in a hurry here. At all. Ever. Slowly but surely I am getting used to it. Yay for grilling and neighbourhood walks!!

• Mrs. MidAtlantic

July 11, 2011 at 9:36 am

I want to eat the Angel Hair Pasta with Roasted Vegetables and Fire Roasted Tomato Sauce right now. And I don’t want to share.