Soaking through Nighttime Diapers

August 27, 2011

Every morning for the past few weeks, Bella wakes up soaked in pee. Her sheets, her clothes, all her blankets and animals. It’s often so much she has to have a bath so it won’t cause her skin to sting.

Before I go to bed I check her and she’s usually fine. She does take a water bottle to bed and I know this is part of the reason, but if she doesn’t have it she wakes up crying in the night of thirst and drinks a lot of water at that point anyway.

This is ruining her mattress, which sits in pee for hours each night. It creates an extra 2-3 loads of laundry a week. She’s unhappy when she wakes up.

No matter what I put her in; wool, AIO, pockets, or prefolds, and no matter how much I stuff it, she leaks.

Besides not giving her any water, I’d love ideas of what we can do to help this. Is there a certain diaper that parents of heavy wetters swear by? A way to layer soakers and things to make it more absorbent? Her diapers work perfectly during the day, it’s just at night they’re not able to hold it all.

Also I’d love recommendations of what we could put on her bed to help keep both her and the mattress drier if this continues.

Thanks everyone. <3

• Laura

November 1, 2011 at 1:37 am

I know I’m a little late to the party here, but I just stumbled across your blog thanks to epparent.com (like you, I’m a recent transplant to El Paso); my kid pees like a racehorse but thanks to two hemp doublers (Joey Bunz premium inserts) used in combination with a sustainable babyish bamboo fleece fitted (with snap-in soaker AND doubler), he stays leak-free until morning. The kid’s diaper weighs about 10 pounds when he wakes up, but he’s at least he’s leak free. I’m kind of obsessed with cloth diapers, too, so if you’d ever like to talk fluff, drop me a line!

November 8, 2011 at 8:31 am

I was laughing so hard picturing your kid waddling to bed – Bella looks like a sumo wrestler by the time we get her all packed in.

The only thing I’ve found so far that doesn’t leak is wool. But in between airing and washing, we’ve had to turn to disposables at night. I was so tired of washing her sheets every day and having her wake up covered in pee.

Excited to know there is another cloth diapering mom out there! We should get together sometime 🙂

• Kaliste

August 29, 2011 at 11:35 am

I’m having a similar problem with my 20 month old. I’m finding that adding 2 hemp inserts into the Thirsties fab fitted is working wonders. then I use a thirsties diaper cover and put her PJ’s on as normal. I got 2 brands of hemp, hemp babies and baby kicks. Both work great. As for the mattress, use a protective cover. I have a waterproof mattress, so I can just wipe it down and not worry about the liquid absorbing. I hope you find something that works for you!.

August 29, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Ah, this is really detailed and I LOVE it. I see the need for hemp and the mattress cover – two things I’m missing.

• Madonna

August 29, 2011 at 11:19 am

We don’t CD, but we use a diaper one size up. Not sure if it would work the same way for CD. We also have a waterproof mattress and waterproof mattress cover. I haven’t had anything really get to the mattress and DD’s diaper leaks at least once a week.

August 29, 2011 at 7:36 pm

I need a cover. I am seeing all the comments that start with “Mattress cover” and I think I’m missing a key nighttime element here.

August 27, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Ditto the suggestions for a waterproof mattress pad. Total life saver!

• Kim

August 27, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Definately a waterproof mattress pad, and I double sheeted/double mattress padded mine – b/c you know how my kids exploded from both ends. And like everyone else here, I loved my hemp (haha). But, I also ADORED bamboo. I had 3 diapers made for John in bamboo, with bamboo soakers for just this very reason. I also used wool at night, if I’m remembering correctly. If you’re already using wool, have you tried the Thirty’s covers? OMG I’m still in love with them. And I haved CD’d in 3 years. I found one the other day and got all misty eyed. For real.

August 29, 2011 at 7:35 pm

I need to try bamboo too. I don’t believe we ever have (I KNOW RIGHT? Lol) but if the store sells them tomorrow I may pick a couple up. So frustrating.

• Autumn Beck | All About Cloth Diapers

August 27, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Hi, Diana. First, I recommend a mattress protector! Once you get that down there are a few posts you can read through for nighttime diaper recommendations.

Here’s the link to the nighttime category: http://allaboutclothdiapers.com/category/nighttime/

Hemp Babies are awesome nighttime doublers. They are thin and if you add 2 under 2 microfiber inserts you get a super absorbent combo.

I have a Pooters hemp fitted I could send you to try out if you are interested.

Feel free to email me anytime 🙂

August 29, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Muah! Thank you so so much Autumn!! I’m off to check out your links as soon as I’m done here.

• Kate

August 27, 2011 at 3:26 pm

We had the same problem when my son was about her age and he started pretty much only peeing while he was asleep. We’d been getting along fine with the addition of a hemp insert at night and then all of a sudden even a second hemp insert wasn’t enough. We finally just went to the huggies overnight for about 2 months until he started to peeing at other times and he was no longer waking up with a completely saturated overnight diaper.

August 29, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Yep. That’s where we’re at right now – the Huggies. At least until I figure out what’s wrong. But it’s the same as your son – just so much pee at night.

• Jenny Georgio-who

August 27, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Since you use cloth diapers I dont really have any good advice for you but I did notice that when D was peeing through her diaper I just went up one size of diaper for bed time. Maybe you can use a larger diaper at night?

August 29, 2011 at 7:32 pm

We have the kind that go birth to potty training, so the size thing may not be it. But – we did go up a size for the disposables I bought – I actually thought of your comment as I picked them out.

• Noelle

August 27, 2011 at 10:34 am

Maybe see if she can pee on the potty before bed? I use the Bjourn potty chair that has the back so its like a little seat. I like 1 layer micro fiber and a hemp doubler for over nights. Is her diaper soaked too? I assume it is, but over stuffing can cause compression leaks. I would strip with Calgon just to make sure you don’t have hard water build up too. Pee soaked mattress is no good! In the adult incontinence section of the store they sell bed liners, they’re disposable. Hudson sleeps in our bed so I have a waterproof mattress pad on our bed and one in his crib too.

August 29, 2011 at 7:31 pm

I’ve never tried to get her to go in a potty. That might be a good idea, although I have no idea how she’d handle it. 🙂 Might scare her away.
      Her diaper is soaked as well, completely through. It’s like she just explodes with pee.

• Bonnie

August 27, 2011 at 9:55 am

Have you tried using a hemp insert in whatever diaper you’re using? You may need to strip your diapers just to make sure that build up isn’t a problem with over nights.

August 29, 2011 at 7:28 pm

I’m going to strip tomorrow (doesn’t that sounds lovely? LOL) and then I’m off to buy a few hemp inserts. I posted in another comment that I have half hemp/half cotton so I may need to get a more hemp kind.

• melissa

August 27, 2011 at 9:55 am

Parkers mattress is a waterproof mattress. Without that we would be lost!

August 29, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Hers is too (I think!) but I still don’t think that having it peed on every night helps things. :/ I don’t know, it just makes me nervous that it’s getting damp in there. And ew.

• Cindy @ b.kate designs

August 27, 2011 at 8:58 am

We have been going through the same thing. Bailey is a huge water drinker as that is almost all she drinks. Regarding the bedding, we just have a nice organic wetting protection for he mattress. We had this issue about a year ago (yes, I have a super wetter)… at that point we had tried EVERYTHING and I could not keep her dry at all. I was frustrated not because of cleaning the bedding, but seriously who would want to wake up smelling of pee… I swear the poor thing would wake her up and I would whisk her to the changing table. UGH! So we searched the internet, where I found Lollidoo overnight diapers, I tried one at first, it worked, she was dry. YES! So I stuffed a huge diaper on Bailey every single night, 1 hemp pad, 2 lolli pads. For the last 10 months it has worked well, the last 3 months she has started leaking around the edges, then her pajamas smell, but the bed is dry. So in the last few weeks we have started using a 7th generation disposable at night (and you know me well enough to know that I pretty much am against that), but you see she wakes up dry in them, no smell, no pajama changes, just cuddles in the morning. Then she goes right into cloth all day. I guess I could try many other things, wool pants, etc… different diapers, more pads, but you know, I think the lollidoo’s overnight are pretty absorbent and I am not going to get much better… If you want to call me I can totally send you two of Bailey’s overnight lollidoos to try… they are super awesome, I just feel like we have tried everything. Daytime is never an issue we are still one BG with single pad, and many other brands. I know how frustrating this can be, we all want to do what is right 🙂

August 29, 2011 at 7:25 pm

We’re doing a Huggies Pure and Natural tonight and for the next few days while I figure out what’s going on. I may try the Lollidoo, anything to get me to stop having to change sheets all the time.

• Traci

August 27, 2011 at 8:50 am

Do you use hemp soakers? I give my boys cups of water at night too but I use a microfiber terry and hemp soaker. I’ve had a few leaks but nothing like how you say your daughter leaks.

August 29, 2011 at 7:23 pm

I do – but they are the Thirsties half hemp/half cotton blend. I may need to try a different kind.

1. traci

August 29, 2011 at 8:17 pm

I use 100% hemp and they hold a lot. Hemp babies is the closest thing I’ve seen to what I have. I bought mime on eBay like 3.5 years ago but I love them. I have a few extra, I don’t mind mailing one out.

• Head Ant

August 27, 2011 at 8:39 am

Have you tried the Ultimate Crib Sheet? It goes over the regular sheets and snaps on/off.

August 29, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I need to look for it. Sounds very simple and like something I can do on 3 hours of sleepp 🙂