World Moms Blog

September 28, 2011

Before BlogHer this year was Pathfinder Day. I remember walking into the Convention center that morning, a bundle of nerves and not sure if I knew anyone in the room.

I ended up sitting next to a woman who had her adorable baby with her. We started chatting, she said her name was Jen, and I asked her where she wrote at.

World Moms Blog,” she said, and explained that it was a blog written by women all over the world. They came to share their stories about motherhood, culture, food, education, the differences and similarities in raising children, and to connect. Jen is the founder.

Honest to goodness, I thought it might have been the best idea I’d ever heard of. Who wouldn’t want a peek into how a mom in India or Australia deals with discipline? How a mom in Japan or Norway handles the day as a stay at home or working mom?

That’s why I watched the documentary Babies. Not because of the kids, but to have a glimpse into the lives of parents around the globe. Although the kids were cute.

I’m a huge supporter and fan of what Jen does and her blog idea has skyrocketed off. I’ll be writing from my little corner of the globe (yes, in between the moms from places like Saudi Arabia and New Zealand they let someone from El Paso, Texas in, lol) on their site a few times a month. My goal is to share my perspective as a military wife and as a bit of a crunchy freak. Works, yes?

It’s a great community and offers up a wealth of information. You can also find them on Twitter and Facebook. They are also looking for more international moms (as I know a few of you are reading this) so shoot Jen an email if you are interested.

Head over to their site and read my interview and then about the other moms writing there!

• jess

September 30, 2011 at 4:55 am

Exciting! Can’t wait to check it out.

• MomEinstein

September 28, 2011 at 6:47 pm

That sounds very cool! I’m heading over now to check it out.

• Adam @ Hanging with Dad

September 28, 2011 at 1:15 pm

That’s what I loved about the documentary Babies. While every child was raised completely different (and I do mean COMPLETELY), they developed on track and everyone was fine. It just shows how resilient kids are and how kids don’t need all the bright shiny toys that we tend to think they do now. They just need food, shelter, clothes, love and affection.

And remember, while hearing how someone raised in Saudi Arabia and New Zealand is interesting, people who live there feel the same way about US babies. We’re just as different to them.

…plus El Paso is a whole other world anyway

• Kat @ living like the kings

September 28, 2011 at 10:31 am

What a great idea! I know other moms and it’s always so crazy how different we were all raised and how we are raising our kids. I grew up in Moscow, Russia and the way I was raised is pretty significantly different from how my husband, an all around American boy, was raised. Yet we both received the same values which we are now using to raise our first, bilingual, baby.

• Jennifer Burden @WorldMomsBlog

September 28, 2011 at 8:51 am

Thanks, Diana! I’m glad we sat together, too! (I remember being just as nervous!) So glad that you’re writing with us!

Jen 🙂

• Jenn

September 28, 2011 at 8:20 am

This is a fantastic idea! Thanks for the link. I will check it out for sure!!

• Alexia

September 28, 2011 at 7:59 am

How cool!! Thanks for sharing this site, can’t wait to fully explore it. And congrats on getting another contributor gig!

Think they need a multiracial family from Detroit on their roster? 😉