Things that go bump in the nap.

October 6, 2011

Yesterday around 2 I finished up all my work to hear Bella (who is almost 23 months) in the other room, waking up from nap. While she usually plays happily for a few minutes before starting to call for me, this time I heard sobs and, “Uh oh, uh oh!”

I walked down the hall, remembering how I thought she sounded quite loud, and pushed open the door only to bump into something. A thought quickly raced through my head of, “Did her cloth diaper pail tip, and how on earth?” Then I heard an even louder wail and pushing the door wider I saw her little face poke around it, tears streaming down, a diaper half off as she said, “Uh oh, diaper? Uh oh.”

In complete shock, I just stood there for a second, sputtering out, “Wha… how did you get out, did you climb out of your crib? Wait, how did you do that?!”She simply looked at me and repeated, “Uh oh, diaper?” The diaper must have unsnapped when she climbed over the crib rail and, quite obviously, she could have cared less at the fact that she scaled something nearly as tall as her and dropped to HER NEAR DEATH the floor for the first time.

I changed her and put her back in the crib. “Show me, come here,” I coaxed. She looked at me like I was insane. “C’mon, out of the crib.”

Putting her feet against the wood slats like a monkey, she pushed herself up the crib. I stopped her there because I knew that was it. This would happen all the time now.

I called Sam (who laughed so hard he couldn’t talk for a second) and we chatted about what to do. First we thought we’d just turn her crib into the toddler bed we’d bought it for. Only we realized we’d need a rail to do that. While Amazon had them, they were a full 10 days out with shipping.

So then I went to Target in search of a rail. Naturally the crib instructions screamed, “USE ONLY A LAJOBI RAIL WITH THIS BED” but I understood that while that was preferable, for a few days it might have to be another kind that snapped on or something.

I tend to live on the wild side of crib transitioning.

After asking two workers at Target about toddler beds and being assured they didn’t carry any, I found them anyway (surprise!) and brought one home. And got it out. And died at the BILLION small parts that fell all over the floor with a 10 page instruction manual.

Shedding a few tears about taking apart Bella’s crib, and knowing the next time I’d see it together again was if we decide to have another, I started on the toddler bed from hell. It didn’t go any faster when Bella “helped” by taking all the screws and trying to put them in the cracks and nooks of other wood pieces, only to have me searching like a mad woman for them a few minutes later.

Sam got home and we finished putting it together. He looked at it and said, “It seems like it’s too small for anyone, such a tiny thing.” Only to me, it was like this huge bed that my little baby would get lost in. She would hate it. I would need to put the crib back.

Not so much. She was beyond thrilled. “New bed? New bed? Big girl bed?” It was like listening to her saying, “New car? New car? New boyfriend? New prom dress?”

NOOOOO…..

We had to have a very stern talk about jumping on it, as she had been practicing for the crib Olympics the last year.

Then it was time for bed.

Yep. That’s a paci with the kitty on the end. It’s for nap and bed only, the rest of the time it’s “Paci nigh nigh.” Plans to get rid of it? Let me know when you all want incoherent, rambling, angry posts from a zombie mom.

And then a story, a prayer, kiss and that was it. I crept out wondering what on earth was going to happen – especially when she woke up.

She slept the entire night and woke up at 7:45 to get her books and read them in her bed. No crying. No fuss. Hopefully once the novelty wears off she’ll do the same, but for now we’ll take what we can get.

My big girl. It’s a little hard to believe.

• jess

October 24, 2011 at 2:33 am

Wow. What a big pretty girl. That’s impressive. And a super cute bed, btw.

• Julie S.

October 13, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I stressed and stressed over moving Brayden out of the crib but the first night, he never made a peep. And it’s been smooth sailing ever since! Good luck as the nights go on! 🙂 She looks so sweet!

• Tracy

October 7, 2011 at 11:16 pm

We have Abby on a floorbed. We have since the summer. Not because she was climbing out, but because she refuses to go to sleep without someone by her side. (Oh wait…except at daycare…she could care less there.) So in order for me to have my night time back, we got a full sized mattress and put it on the floor. She still wakes up, though, and walks down the hall to us. Oh yeah, the crib is still set up in her room too. Call me lazy ;). So yeah, I’m kinda jealous that Bella stays put :P. And in all seriousness, what a freaking cutey…and what a great transition.

• Alexia

October 7, 2011 at 4:21 pm

OMG. This scared me so much that when Cedella got up from her nap I asked her to get out of her crib and she did the whole monkey-feet-on-the-crib-rails thing. She can totally get out of it. Though I may have unwittingly helped her discover this new skill. Thankfully I bought a little girl bed at a garage sale this summer, guess it’s time to bust it out?! Bravo for you for taking it so well. Bella is just too dang smart!

• Lisa @ Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy

October 7, 2011 at 9:40 am

i know is hard but my first one was less than a year when he started climbing out. People thought I was crazy for putting him in a toddler bed so early but if he could get out of the crib, what is the difference? I’d rather him slide out of bed than regularly risk a bad fall out of the crib

• Becky

October 7, 2011 at 8:02 am

Uh oh is right! Mine never scaled the crib but I moved them to a mattress on the floor at about 18-20 months too. She looks like she loves it! And it’s nice to have something that gobbles up less space too.

We use binkies in our house until 3. Sometime around 2 1/2 we ditch it at nap time and use it at bed time and then at that big 3 it goes altogether. It has worked with the first two and now that I have put it to writing, it won’t work with the 3rd. You do what you gotta do!

• Jennifer @ Also Known As the Wife

October 6, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Super sweet! 🙂

My mom bought the same bed for the grandkids at her house. So far it’s just a softer trampoline for my niece Abby.

• Erika @NAMAmmaSTE

October 6, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I think the paci’s adorable! Everything she does is adorable because she’s one of the most adorable little girls *ever*!

I’d really like to transition Little Man before the baby gets here in the spring. Not that it’s necessary, since we probably won’t use the crib right away. I just want to be careful about how much we change in his life at one time. That and I’m pretty sure he’s close to climbing out of his crib. He’s tried to climb in a couple of times already. I was thinking around 23-24 months and, thanks to you, I’m much less nervous about it now.

• Kate

October 6, 2011 at 12:27 pm

My son will be two and a half in 3 weeks and we have the same rule that pacifiers are only for sleeping and the same lack of plans to force him to give them up. I figure once everyone gets used to the new baby (due in three weeks) and he’s fully potty trained we can start thinking about it but it’s just not on my list of things worth caring about right now.

• Teresa

October 6, 2011 at 11:56 am

Aw! My 2.5 yr old still won’t sleep in her own bed. Way to go, Bella!

October 6, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Oh no! You know, it just happens at different times. It really does. Look, she still has a paci and so many kids her age are over it. I’d kill for that thing to be gone. Or burned. Or spontaneously combust.

• Leighann

October 6, 2011 at 11:45 am

My heart hurts.
    We tried to change our daughters bed into a toddler when she was only 14 months old because she wouldn’t sleep in her crib anymore but we quickly changed it back to a bed because she was too young and I couldn’t go in her room without crying.
    She isn’t ready yet but I know it’s coming.
    Your daughter is adorable in hers.
    Le Sigh.

October 6, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Man, that would be tough. I don’t know if I could have done it much earlier, but Bella seemed to like her crib so that helped. It’s nice to have her able to understand things like “New” and excitement about it. Otherwise I don’t know that she would have gone for it yet.

• Elyssa McDowell

October 6, 2011 at 11:41 am

Laughing as I read this! “New prom dress, new boyfriend?” I can see myself feeling the same way when my 13 month transitions to a big bed.

October 6, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Isn’t it awful? It’s like I can see her in the horrid miniskirt waltzing down the hall screaming, “And I HATE YOU ALL” just from putting together the toddler bed.

Make it stop…

• t.bird

October 6, 2011 at 11:20 am

thank God alex can’t climb out of her crib yet- i get to push off that aspect of growin up for a little while longer…

October 6, 2011 at 4:37 pm

No kidding. And two in cribs? I admire you even more now.

• Cole

October 6, 2011 at 10:44 am

Mommy hopes out transition goes as well – I need to ditch my crib so it can be ready for Squishy in January! Also? I still use my binkies for nap and bedtime, and Mommy is unwilling to have that battle, so you’re in good company!

• Blair@HeirtoBlair

October 6, 2011 at 10:11 am

Love.

Every night, my heart feels like it might explode with happiness when I watch Harry climb into his bed, all pajama’ed up & cover himself with blankets.

October 6, 2011 at 4:35 pm

I can’t wait till she figures out the cover thing herself. Right now she just kinda plops herself on them and wiggles around.

Note to self: motor skill work…

• Alyson

October 6, 2011 at 9:58 am

precious. wait til she figures out how to open the door 🙂

1. Kate

October 6, 2011 at 12:31 pm

I’m 99% sure our son sleepwalks (my mom did and his dad still does) so we have one of those knob covers on the inside of his bedroom door to keep him in there. Obviously we’ll have to figure something else out when he’s potty training but in the meantime it keeps him safe and contained. We had to do it because of the sleepwalking but I’d probably do it anyway.

October 6, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I worry about her getting up in the middle of the night but I never thought about sleepwalking! Oh my.

October 6, 2011 at 9:34 am

She is totally cute in that bed! (well w/out it too) glad your transition went well. 🙂

October 6, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Thanks 🙂 Me too, I was worried last night that I’d hear her at 2am playing or something.

• liz

October 6, 2011 at 9:27 am

She’s totally adorable.

but… I’m dreading the day this happens to us… lol.

October 6, 2011 at 4:33 pm

I was too. And talk about unprepared. I had no idea it would happen when it did. Hopefully yours goes as smooth as ours (so far!).

• TheNextMartha

October 6, 2011 at 9:25 am

So cute. My second son never climbed out and we actually had to put him in a bed once I realized that he was going to be starting pre school. Thought he should be out of a crib then. Also? My older son had a paci until he was 3 and he threw it out on his own.

October 6, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Thank the lord someone else is in the paci boat with me. I can’t wait for the day when she doesn’t want it anymore, I’m so sick of trying to find it all the time. :/