Thanksgiving for two. And a half.

November 23, 2011

This year, we’re doing our own holiday stuff. We decided it was too far to drive home, too expensive to fly and rent a car, so we’re staying here in El Paso for Christmas and Thanksgiving.

And while I’m sad we’ll miss our families and being in Colorado, part of me is really excited to start our own traditions here with Bella this year. To cook our own meals. To have presents under the tree – not just the few for us and the rest for the kitties to make it look like there’s more.

Don’t give me the side eye – some of you have monogrammed stockings for your pets. I know it.Β

I’m not judging, but I might have given you the side eye back.

As far as I’mΒ concerned, tonight is the start of Thanksgiving. I’m going to prep, chop, and bake a few things that can be reheated tomorrow. I’m going to wash tablecloths and get out more Corelle to cook in. I grocery shopped Monday and can I just say – there needs to be some type of full turkey in a 2 1/2 person size. Like a 4 pounder. We are going to have turkey until we cringe at the sight of it.

Yes, I could have gotten a breast but I wanted a whole turkey, gosh darnit. Please remind me of this as I sob over it tomorrow wondering why I got a 12lb bird for a family of 3. (Smallest one Archer Farms carried.) It might seem wasteful but we plan to use every part of it.

Not the neck.

::barfs::

Sam has a 4 day weekend, Saturday we’re sanding and repainting a door, then steam cleaning all the carpets.

It’s a rental home but we’re both a little on the “Let’s keep it clean and shiny” side.

Trying to stay on top of things this year (procrastination makes me anxious – who knew?) I’ve ordered Christmas cards and planned a trip for us the Friday before Christmas to the Carlsbad Caverns and a boat tour of holiday lights down the Pecos river. Then we’ll stay the night in Carlsbad.

I’ve got to say, having things done before they need to be causes me MUCH less stress. Why haven’t I always done this?

::ponders an on time life::

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving to my US friends, happy Thursday to everyone else πŸ™‚ and enjoy this weekend.

• Kat

November 27, 2011 at 7:45 pm

I really, really wanted a full turkey too. So I convinced my husband to get a small one — I was so excited! We got a 10 lb turkey for 2 people and it only lasted till Saturday πŸ™‚ I hope your turkey lasted a little longer than ours did!

• ajira

November 24, 2011 at 3:27 pm

My hubs is working today and all week… leaving super early and coming home so late we see him for but a minute… so we didn’t go down to his family like we usually do and since it came up last minute, we don’t have a backup plan either. I’ll be picking up some WholeFoods treats for my almost three year old and I to enjoy… and maybe leave the hubs some leftovers to enjoy. LOL. I’m campaigning to do a Sunday roast with today’s theme but a turkey is too big for just the three of us so we’ll go with duck or chicken I think. Probably chicken. Roast potatoes. Or maybe mash. Gravy for sure. Creamed corn. Yum.

• Anne-Marie

November 24, 2011 at 12:23 pm

We are enjoying Thanksgiving for two with a messy house, pajamas for me and a meal we picked up from Whole Foods. The oven is getting good use for my pumpkin pie and popovers (and for reheating the Whole Foods goodness). I totally underestimated how completely awesome this would be! And I hope to be preggers by this time next year, so it might be my last Thanksgiving as a non-mom! Something to savor, I’d say.

November 24, 2011 at 12:37 pm

SO jealous of your Whole Foods Thanksgiving. Our nearest one is now 300 miles away. In Denver it was 3. Have a wonderful day together!

• Tracy

November 23, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Lady, we do the 12 lb turkey for 2.5 of us. It won’t last as long as you think ;). Happy Turkey Day to you and Sam and Bella!

• Jenn

November 23, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to you! We’re sitting pretty in the UK, where tomorrow is a normal work day. Last year I cooked a full dinner for the 4 of us, one not a turkey eater – yes, on a Thursday night – and it was a little lackluster.

This year, we’ll have a family day on Sunday, where I’ll cook a turkey saddle – a huge turkey breast, deboned, rolled up and draped in a ton of bacon. Its a turkey, UK style.

(And if you freeze the leftovers in one or two cup portions, it is much easier to use without getting turkey’ed out!)

November 24, 2011 at 12:38 pm

I didn’t get any further after “wrapped in bacon”. πŸ˜‰ Omg that sounds amazing. Hope you have a wonderful Sunday all together.

• Anonymous

November 23, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to u too plus I have to say that I like to hear you all happy and planing stuff for your family πŸ™‚ you deserve to be happy and this week is a good excuse to be thankful for everything that happend on our life, so I’m happy I met u and that get to read ur post every or every other day, I’m hooked to Hormonal Imbalances πŸ™‚ so what!!!! Hugs.

• Cindy

November 23, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Oh how fun! We have not started out own dinner traditions per say. We do smaller more traditional things with Bailey πŸ™‚ You will enjoy the turkey, soup, sandwiches, thousands of things, and totally freeze some for later in enchiladas, or whatever! Happy Thanksgiving to your family!

• Chunky Mama

November 23, 2011 at 12:28 pm

You could always make a HUGE batch of turkey noodle soup and freeze it. πŸ™‚

I am a little jealous of you. I don’t know how many years into the future it will be before I get to start my own traditions with my kids. We live in Hubby’s hometown, so it’s always a HUGE family gathering at Mom-in-law’s place.

• Denise

November 23, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Freeze your left over turkey! Leftovers are the best! There are a ton of recipes out there for pre-cooked turkey.

Chris & I got the turkey breast this year. We don’t like dark meat so that seemed like the smartest thing. πŸ˜‰