What 10 days without caffeine looks like.

November 27, 2011

The therapist said that I should have very limited, preferably no, caffeine until we get the anxiety under control. He said that is a major factor in reducing it.

I remember thinking, “Ok, no biggie. It’s not like I’m addicted or anything. And Starbucks has decaf everything. Easy.”

WRONG.

So ten days later, I crave caffeine like you wouldn’t believe.

I sniff the ground coffee bags in stores. Just today in fact.

I asked Sam not to drink coffee anymore. That didn’t go over well. To his credit though, he’s cut back a ton.

I bought dark chocolate instead of milk just because it has more caffeine – but not enough to do anything.

I wake up in the morning and then around 10am wonder what the heck is wrong with me. Only to remember.

I yawn. A lot.

I don’t have a sudden bursts of energy that I used to after downing a giant glass of French pressed.

BUT.

I am more active. I exercise twice a day about 5 days a week now. Daily yoga and my Tony Little Gazelle.

I have more long term energy. When the caffeine would wear off and leave me in a slump around 1, I now am busy doing things.

I can focus on writing for longer periods of time.

My hands don’t miss the keys as often.

I feel more… stable. Solid. Less jittery and, well, anxious. And I’m assuming that’s the point.

So far, so good.

And now, I’m off to go make a blend of the decaf Starbucks I picked up today while getting the side eye for smelling the bags of the real stuff in the grocery store.

• Anne-Marie

November 28, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Honey, I took up smoking in college to deal with the anxiety (I know–brilliant strategy) and then this year cut out the cigarettes and cut back the caffeine to one cup in the morning. In fact, I got a Keurig thing because my husband doesn’t drink coffee and this way, no temptation–it only makes one (small) cup at a time. On my worst days, I still want a latte in one hand and a cigarette in the other. Like crazy. No matter how cold it gets. What helps me is remembering that the anxiety only subsides for, oh, one minute, tops. Then the warm beverage is gone and the cigarette combo made me doubly jittery. *Twitch*

• Janelle

November 28, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Coffee = joy. even if it is decaf. 🙂

• Kim

November 28, 2011 at 10:49 am

I’m so impressed 🙂 Good for you — enjoy your half caff blen!

• Teresa

November 28, 2011 at 10:02 am

I’m going to try this!! I hate that caffeine crash.

• Alexia @ Babies & Bacon

November 28, 2011 at 9:27 am

I am right there with you in the no-caffeine boat. And as hard as it is you will ultimately feel so much better without it!! Keep it up!!

• Jess

November 28, 2011 at 8:57 am

Good for you! I’m glad it’s helping. In the long run 😉

November 28, 2011 at 12:55 am

Oh heck to the no. The only time I gave up coffee was when I was pregnant with my first two. And I missed it so, so much. Now that I’m working nights, I can’t imagine NOT drinking caffeine, pregnant or not. You are so strong. I would probably enjoy the long-term benefits of giving up caffeine, but then again…I don’t want to give up caffeine 🙂

• Mrs. MidAtlantic

November 27, 2011 at 4:16 pm

It gets better!! Work through it, and you’ll wonder why you ever needed it so bad to begin with!

• Courtney

November 27, 2011 at 4:00 pm

YOU CAN DO IT!
    Its sucks more than anything i’ve ever done, but you’re so right about feeling better and the more energy overall etc. I now only drink lemon water & decaf tea. I was a BIG diet coke drinker and I quit over 3 months ago. Keep up the good work!

• Beth Anne

November 27, 2011 at 3:55 pm

You are my hero. I could never do this. I could never want to do this. But you? Are amazing.

• Alena

November 27, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Rock on woman!

• TheNextMartha

November 27, 2011 at 3:48 pm

You go with your no caffeine self.