Santa believes in bribes.

December 5, 2011

While on base this weekend, we saw children having their pictures taken with Santa. Sam and I decided we’d have Bella do it right then, and I began to excitedly tell her, “Look! Santa! Yay!”

Because I knew. I knew she wasn’t going to like him.

And I was right. She had a DEATH grip on me as we got closer. I don’t know if it was the hat or the beard, but Santa may as well have been the Devil.

So I had to sit with her on the giant chair:

And after a billion shots of her looking back at Santa with terror she finally smiled when Sam asked her, “Who is Daddy’s little angel?” She pointed to herself and said proudly, “ME!” and we got a shot.

Then I snuck away while Santa slowly unwrapped a piece of candy in hopes of keeping her on the chair. His lap just wasn’t happening:

And as soon as she got it, she hopped off the chair and ran away from him:

• House Hunt Update and Little Man with Santa

December 22, 2011 at 8:53 pm

[…] he wouldn’t turn around to face the camera.  So here’s what we came up with (thanks to Diana‘s idea): "I'm not sure about this […]

• Kate

December 8, 2011 at 1:08 am

Liam’s always liked Santa (all two times) and it just occurred to me that it’s probably partially because his dad has a beard so he’s completely used to that.

• Kim

December 7, 2011 at 1:04 am

Hey, you’ve got pix of her with Santa, I think it’s adorable. My kids think going to see Santa means waving at him from afar. They’ve never made it onto his lap. They’re always like *wave* Annnnd, I’m good.

• JoAnn K

December 6, 2011 at 8:23 pm

So great! She is such a little cutie! Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas.

sorry about first post- computer is giving me a headache!

December 6, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Thank you! I think my spam catcher ate your first one anyway. 🙂

• Adam @ Hanging with Dad

December 5, 2011 at 8:44 pm

That is a FANTASTIC Santa! I’m jealous, Isaac’s first Christmas was with a crap Santa (we went somewhere that we were told had “a good Santa”).

We’ll see what happens this time. Some Santa pictures are epic though, at least there wasn’t an entire meltdown.

December 6, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Is it odd that I wanted the photographer to catch the meltdown pic? She wouldn’t do it, kept waiting for a smile instead. Which was fine, but the meltdown would have been the one we remembered for years to come.

• Anne-Marie

December 5, 2011 at 10:22 am

One of my favorite baby pictures is of me at Bella’s age, my sister, who must have been 12 or 13 yo, and Santa. My sister standing awkwardly next to Santa. She and Santa are both gamely smiling at the camera. I am screaming my head off, red faced, wearing a totally adorable red dress with white dots. It pretty much sums up all the reasons I adore my sister.

• Erika @NAMAmmaSTE

December 5, 2011 at 10:05 am

OMG! so cute! I have a feeling Dylan’s going to have similar feelings about pictures with Santa. I keep putting it off for that reason. I really want to do it though! Last year I think I gave him my phone, which worked for calming him down, but didn’t make for the best picture. 🙂

• t.bird

December 5, 2011 at 9:32 am

lol @ her body angling away from him all thewhile reaching for candy.

old man? negative.
    candy from old man? check.

December 6, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Omg. Now I wish that’s what I had written for the caption.

• Stacy

December 5, 2011 at 7:44 am

We’re going for the first time on Thursday. At this point Erin is so little that it probably won’t be an issue, but it will be interesting. Part of me wonders where this tradition came from, where we torture our children to photograph them with a bearded stranger in a red suit 🙂 It’s a rite of passage though.

December 6, 2011 at 8:27 pm

I have wondered where that came from too. 🙂 “Let’s just put you right here on this old guy’s lap that smells of small children…”

• Mrs. MidAtlantic

December 5, 2011 at 7:00 am

Haha, I am so curious as to how Laura will react to Santa this year! She approached (a new walker) with trepidation last year, but since there was no line she could take her time to warm up to the fellow. This year? I don’t see it ending with a good picture. Possibly a blur as she wiggles off his lap in record speed!