The moment I wake up, before I put on my makeup…

December 19, 2011

I take a little temp for you:

My chart is simply out of control. I have no idea what’s going on, and after talking to my girlfriend who’s temped for years, I’ve realized there isn’t a way to know. The Mirena has me all screwed up. I’m not even sure when this last cycle started because it stopped me from having real periods. I just had to pick a day.

Oh men. I am SO SORRY. Do not read anymore. ((hugs))

Go bleach your eyes.

Anyway, every morning I wake up and stick the basal body thermometer in my mouth, then snuggle down and wait for the beep. After, I grab my cell, click the Fertility Friend app, and record the degree. I’m still learning about all of this. Last week I found out that taking your temp at the same time every day means like no more than a half hour difference. That can be really hard since Sam leaves for work really early sometimes. I’m never quite sure what to do if I have to pee so bad, and I usually don’t temp till around 7. :/

This makes me quite crumply.

TCOYF says to use only the first number after the decimal when recording (ex: 97.3) but my thermometer and Fertility Friend use both (ex: 97.34). So I’ve recorded both ways and I can’t tell if it’s really changing anything?

It’s all over the place. I’m recording other signs, but felt like that really was TMI so I cropped it out on the pic.

You’re welcome.

What is interesting about all this is seeing my body adjust. We’re not in a hurry to get pregnant. In fact I’d be fine if, unlike with Bella, it took a few months this time. I’d really like to know what’s going on before it gets all whacked out again.

Hopefully things start to smooth out and I see some sort of a pattern up there.

• Kim

December 20, 2011 at 4:12 am

Just have fun 🙂

• Alissa

December 20, 2011 at 2:28 am

I basically know nothing about charting and all this so my question may be stupid but – unless you know you have fertility issues, like you aren’t gettin pregnant easily, why do you need I keep track of temperatures and things? Luckily my cycle is pretty regular so with the help I one of those free period tracker apps I know when my period should start, when I’m likely to ovulate and my likely fertile days. That’s enough info to try and get pregnant, right? Like I said, I don’t know much about this so hopefully my question isn’t dumb or offensive.

• Adam @ Hanging with Dad

December 19, 2011 at 10:49 pm

I did not read this post, I just wanted to send a serious, heart felt THANK YOU for warning me not to. Keep up the warnings!

• Jennifer @ Also Known As the Wife

December 19, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Don’t the chart doesn’t look to bad actually. 🙂 The first month or two of charting is always a little wonky as you get the feel for it. Keep it up though…you’ll start to see patterns.

• Anne-Marie

December 19, 2011 at 3:28 pm

TCOYF recommends only one decimal place because “it gets confusing”–my interpretation is that if you’re doing it pen & paper style, then yes, it’s confusing. FF is fancy and does not find it confusing.

It took me three months to get a regular chart after I went off birth control! My temp was much messier than yours.

FF also says not to adjust, just put in the time you took your temp. It says it will take that all into account if it really makes a big difference–the point is to see a larger pattern.

• Teresa

December 19, 2011 at 3:05 pm

For those mornings when your waking time is off, you can use a BBT adjuster. You just enter in the time you normally temp, the time you temped on that day, and the temperature. It adjusts it to what it should theoretically be if you had temped at your normal time. Here’s a link to one: http://www.whenmybaby.com/basalbodytemperature.php

• Erika @NAMAmmaSTE

December 19, 2011 at 2:11 pm

The temp thing was always crazy for me, probably for the same reason. You know it took me three months to get my cycle back after I got off bc too. At least TCOYF incorporates those other signs too, like t.bird said. I pretty much took her approach. I’m sure you’re doing it right and it’ll get more consistent over time! <3

• Beth Anne

December 19, 2011 at 2:03 pm

It looks good, lady. I promise, it looks really good for a first month’s chart.

• Mrs. MidAtlantic

December 19, 2011 at 1:38 pm

The charts really are much more useful if you can start with the first day of a period. I’m sure you’ll start to even out once you’re used to it. I was never all that “exact” with my morning temp, and it still charted pretty evenly. I also don’t think the 2nd decimal place is going to make or break your chart!

• t.bird

December 19, 2011 at 1:34 pm

i wouldn’t worry too much about the 30 min thing.
    i take my temps anywhere between 4:30 & 6 on a daily basis & my charts are accurate. & i’m up & down all night with brynn- so yeah.

and then sometimes i completely space it & enter a random temp that goes along with the other ones.
    meh- as long as i can match up my ovulation pains, opks & ovulation temps i’m good.

• Teresa

December 19, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I’ve heard the 3 month thing too, but I got pregnant with my first just a month off the pill. My second came after being off pill for 3 months though.

• Katrina @ Hix in the Stix ~ Army Edition

December 19, 2011 at 12:02 pm

I have heard that it usually takes a minimum of three months for your body to adjust after coming off birth control…and that it can even take a year or two. I know that when I was going on Mirena they “warned” me that it could take a while before I was able to get pregnant again. I have been off it for six months now and I’m still not completely regulated (though not as wacky as when I was on). I haven’t been taking my temp (I mean – my husband’s DEPLOYED – what’s the point?) but I know I need to start soon so that I know whats going on when he DOES get home!!!

Hopefully you’ll figure it out soon.

• Misty Pratt

December 19, 2011 at 11:58 am

Wow, totally missed the post where you decided to start trying again! 🙂 You’ll have to send that to me! I haven’t been tracking my temps since using Mirena (taken out in August), but I have been tracking those unmentionables that you speak of :o)