To BC or not to BC. And to find a midwife.

December 8, 2011

This morning I get the missing Mirena out.

Hopefully. :/

::must stay positive::

And then with it out – the question remains of what’s next. Do we use FAM for prevention?

Or to expand our family?

Because now it’s real, I have to make a choice. The stupid, horrible, wth kind of design is this Mirena has to come out.

Last week at my yearly exam, I asked the Dr about being pregnant with Bella; the hyperemesis, preterm labor, the placenta being old even though she was 3 weeks early and 90% effacement at 30 weeks. I explained I was nervous and was looking for some answers/tests run/whatever.

She didn’t have any suggestions. Her answer was shrugging her shoulders and telling me that it could all happen again.

After this appointment I found two midwives that work at a hospital near me and I’m switching over there. Because the experience with doctors here so far leaves something to be desired. It’s not that they are going to give me a different answer, but I want to be at least listened to with some respect and understanding behind it.

I don’t know if it’s because the Dr’s here see so many young mothers who they boss around and then just figure everyone is an idiot (which makes me mad for those girls)  but I’m over it. I know my body. I understand what it does. I want a doctor who will work with me and supports my lifestyle; from babywearing to breastfeeding to wanting a different kind of hospital birth.

I want to have my knowledge of a rough previous pregnancy taken into consideration for thinking about a second one. I don’t want to be brushed off or feel like I’m a pain for even thinking about the risks.

I had a great Dr. experience last time. I know those type of medical professionals are out there.

Hopefully I can find it again with a midwife.

I’m dreading today. First because they have to get all up in there (shudders) and second because I know it will be more of the same. But after, well, then I guess without a Mirena floating around we’ll have to make a decision pretty quick. I already know what Sam’s choice is.

Pro baby. 100%.

I think I’m 60/40 with the big number getting higher by the day. I’ll let you guess which is which.

P.S. You’re probably wrong.

I know. That’s mean…

• Allexia

March 11, 2012 at 1:56 pm

hey it was a good post thanks for posting, please keep posting

• Cole

December 9, 2011 at 10:32 am

I’m a bit behind so I’ve read your more recent post and know how your appointment turned out, but Mommy wanted to comment on the importance of finding a doc you like/are comfortable with. The group that she was with when I was born missed some pretty serious complications: *I* was fine, but Mommy ended up in a life-threatening situation while she was in labor. She switched at the beginning of this pregnancy, but never REALLY clicked with her new group either, The final straw was an appointment at about 28 weeks where she got the feeling *again* that the doc she was seeing hadn’t even looked at her chart before coming into the room, and didn’t have ANY knowledge or understanding of her history. Mommy had several specific questions and was not satisfied with any of the answers.

At about 30 weeks, Mommy took a big leap and switched to yet another practice. She was *really* hesitant about switching so close to the end, but she was not comfortable with the practice she was with.

It was the BEST decision. Her new doc immediately ordered some tests that the previous practice hadn’t thought to check, and while the results landed Mommy in the hospital for a few days and now she is on bed rest, she feels like these people have a handle on what is going on. She is NOT concerned that things will progress like they did last time with no one paying attention.

Sorry for the novel – short version: even though changing docs sucks, it’s worth it to find one you like.

• Allison

December 8, 2011 at 1:37 pm

I know you’re probably not Catholic, but if you can find a NFP (FAM) doctor, they tend to be a lot more understand in my experience. I love my doctor. She respects me, and our choices. But I know a lot of women love their midwife. Here’s hoping you can find one that works for you! And, complications aside, I totally get the not wanting another baby. I had a horrible birth experience (baby tried to come out with the side of her head, so after 2 hours of pushing and a vacuum attempt, I ended with a c-section) I had wanted a natural waterbirth :/
    So, I am totally not ready for another one. You have to be ready, no one else can push you to that point.

• Kim

December 8, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Sending you lots of positive thoughts and prayers. So hoping it goes well and you do what’s best for all of you.

• t.bird

December 8, 2011 at 12:46 pm

have another baby.
    so let it be written.
    so let it be done.

• Noelle

December 8, 2011 at 10:00 am

Thinking of you today. Good Luck with the decision making.

• molly

December 8, 2011 at 9:12 am

I’m sorry to hear about the Mirena. I get freaked out because I have the copper IUD and had such a terribly painful period last month after getting it. It makes me wonder what’s going on in there!

Good luck making the decision. In a way, I’m really glad that I didn’t get the chance to make it. The decision was made for me and I had to get used to the idea after I was already pregnant! Oopsie 🙂

• Mrs. MidAtlantic

December 8, 2011 at 8:27 am

Thinking of you today with that procedure! Yuck!
    Then… go for FAM! If you don’t get pregnant, you don’t. And if you do, it was meant to be.

• Alena

December 8, 2011 at 8:26 am

I am probably right.

I’m usually right.

I will be thinking of you. It won’t be fun, but it will be over before you know it! {hopefully, in a perfect world}

• Diane

December 8, 2011 at 8:15 am

Good luck today! I hope it all goes well for you.