4 weeks 3 days pregnant {and how we all found out}

January 18, 2012

Yes, I’m telling everyone very early about being pregnant (announced it here yesterday). I’ve gotten a few (non-evil) comments over how early I am, and while I don’t feel I need to explain (after all, it’s my body and Sam and I are comfortable with our decision) I kind of want to explain.

I found out last Thursday at around 11am. Bella and I had gone for a playdate to my girlfriend Tanya’s home, and I was feeling sick. She laughingly suggested I take a pregnancy test, but I knew the chances of me seeing a line at that point were slim to none. But I figured it couldn’t hurt and she had a few left over.

30 seconds later I was staring at this:

Water droplets - I promise.

My mind couldn’t quite wrap around it.

And then. I did what I vowed as a second time mother to be I would never do.

I told Tanya, “The line is so faint.” We ended up checking the instructions for how faint the line could be.

::headdesk::

I know. A line is a line is a line. But when it’s your faint line, somehow all that common sense goes right out the window.

She was delighted, and wanted me to call Sam right then, but I knew on base he couldn’t get service often. Plus I wanted to see his face. I wanted to do something other than jump on the bed and shove the stick in his face at 6:30am like with Bella.

When I left to get Bella home for nap, Sam was already home. I suddenly got REALLY nervous. Like throw up in my mouth nervous. I had no idea how I was going to tell him, but I don’t do my own secrets very well so I’d have to say something soon. I took Bella in the other room, handed her the (washed off) pregnancy test and told her to go give it to Daddy. And she walked over to him on the couch, gave it to him, and walked off.

Sam just stared at it. I knew he was thinking, “Wait, is that a line?” so I said, “Look carefully.”

His entire face broke into a smile and he shook his head in disbelief. “Already?! You got the Mirena out like 3 weeks ago!”

I nodded, and said, “Well, that’s the way it worked with Bella.”

Then we snuggled for a while and watched Bella play. He kept asking if I was sure so over the next few days I took 5 more tests to reassure him. Yes, and me. This weekend we told our families and friends. It didn’t have the same shock value as Bella (we’d been married 6 years and weren’t sure we wanted kids before we secretly started trying for her) but everyone was thrilled.

I feel like I’m a broken record saying this, but for all you new readers; I had hyperemisis gravidarum (barfed for 8 straight months) as well as preterm labor, was 90% effaced at 30 weeks and put on bed rest for 5 weeks with Bella. So naturally a lot of people are worried, but we’re hopeful that with city doctors, more technology, and the fact that every pregnancy is different – I’ll do better this time.

As for telling early, I decided that the chances of me being sick again, the fact that this is my place to come and unload were all good enough reasons for me to write on this so soon. I also want to document the whole thing, because I didn’t get to do that with Bella.

But the biggest reason I’m telling is because there is a little life in me I want to celebrate. I realize that this early things can go wrong, but I don’t want to be afraid of this pregnancy because of that. I want to rejoice in it. I want people to know and pray for me and our family. I want to come on here and say I’m having a rough day, or I craved yellow cake with white frosting and have everyone know why. I want to remember every moment of this pregnancy – regardless of how it all goes.

I tell myself, “Today I am pregnant. And I am thankful.” I am. That is my motto, come what may over the next months. I am pregnant. I am thankful. And I’m choosing to share it with all of you – gladly.

• Monica Perez

April 13, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Congratulations!!! I found out I was pregnant a week ago making this week 6 weeks. I was worried about telling every one too because it was so early on but I agree with you. Today I am pregnant and I want to share that joy with the ones I love.

• seo

January 31, 2012 at 11:37 am

Hey there! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a team of volunteers and starting a new project in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us beneficial information to work on. You have done a wonderful job!

• Jessica

January 22, 2012 at 12:08 pm

So happy for you Congrats!

• Nikki

January 19, 2012 at 10:03 pm

i found out at 4 weeks too. this is my 3rd pregnancy and im 26 weeks now. congrats! and i hope this pregnancy brings you a beautiful, healthy baby

• Branson

January 19, 2012 at 7:52 pm

My way of thinking has always been tell early and let people start praying NOW, lol. I have already been praying for you guys, and will continue to do so. Like you said, it is your body and you have every right to CELEBRATE! 🙂

• Jeanette

January 19, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Congratulations! Your post brings back such wonderful memories. My two “babies” are taller than I am now, but what a blessing they continue to be.

• Suz

January 19, 2012 at 12:06 pm

You are pregnant & thankful! I love that phrase & it’s one I’ve been repeating for 16w5d! 🙂 Just grateful for everyone moment {even the painful ones}.

• Bee

January 19, 2012 at 12:58 am

Thrilled for you…. Thrilled… Love your blog and the fact you are sharing this. 🙂

• Kacia

January 18, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Ah! Such a beautiful lady, momma to two and wife. I couldn’t be more excited. + yes, I will celebrate this little life! Heck, I already am!!

• Lyz

January 18, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Congratulations!! This is wonderful and of course I wish a healthy and safe pregnancy for you and the little one.

• Poekitten

January 18, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Congratulations!

When we got our first (of 6) BFPs, it was very faint. I didn’t want to get my hopes up but my husband was positive it was positive. I remember saying to him…who trusts these things? It’s a $3.50 piece of plastic! He just laughed at me and said…everyone! I’ve been a bit of a worrier and am always afraid something is going to happen. I just remind myself that today, I am pregnant and munchkin is growing safe and strong. It’s a battle but I’m looking forward to our next appointment to hear the heartbeat again:)

• becca

January 18, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Congratulations! I read your blog everyday so I feel like I know you a little more everytime I read it! I am so happy for you sam, and soon to be big sister bella! I thought one little one was fun until we brought home our second! Watching the 2 of them play together ( and fight) are some of the happiest moments I’ve ever had! I will be thinking of you and praying for a safe pregnancy! So excited for you!

• Shell

January 18, 2012 at 6:06 pm

So happy for you! 🙂

• Estrella

January 18, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Hi Diana, congratulations!! I never comment on your blogs but this one I had to tell you congrats. I really enjoy your blogs and how honest you are. I will keep you in my prayers.

• Kim

January 18, 2012 at 3:55 pm

🙂 you know I LOVE that you are sharing. Can’t wait to experience this pregnancy with you!

• Teresa

January 18, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Every time I found out I was pregnant, I felt the need to tell everyone right away. It is such big news and i hate keeping surprises. The only time I waited until 8 weeks this time is because Ray hadn’t told his parents and I didn’t want them to read about it on my blog. If something happens (God forbid), at least you will have such an awesome support and prayer system here!!

• Rusti

January 18, 2012 at 2:46 pm

CONGRATULATIONS!!! how exciting!! (also – I got pregnant about 3 weeks after the Mirena came out too – WAY quicker than we expected!!) WOO HOOO!! very happy for your family 🙂 I’ll be sending LOTS of good thoughts, vibes & prayers for a safe & healthy pregnancy your way! 🙂

• Meredith

January 18, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Congratulations on the new one and I hope and pray that this pregnancy will be different for you, that you will be able to enjoy that growing life, and not worry about what might happen!

• Elisabeth

January 18, 2012 at 11:47 am

Congratulations!! I’m a newish reader, found your blog via Beth Anne @ Heir to Blair. I’m so excited for you! And I totally agree with Courtney above. When I got pregnant with my daughter, we told almost everyone right away for the same reason. Hopefully I’ll be able to do the same with no.2 soon!!

January 18, 2012 at 8:44 pm

I’m excited for you! And so glad you left a comment here. Beth Anne is pretty amazing so I’m always happy to have her readers find me!

• grace

January 18, 2012 at 11:34 am

congrats!!!!!!!!

• Sarah

January 18, 2012 at 11:33 am

I am so happy for you, Diana! You guys deserve all the happiness in the world! (And what could bring more happiness than another little bundle of , cuddly, sweet smelling, addictive ball of squishiness?!)

And I am so glad you are telling early because, yes, this is something to celebrate and appreciate every step of the way. It’s big, It’s forever. You’re a mommy again!

January 18, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Thanks lady! For the excitement and kind words. 🙂

• jb

January 18, 2012 at 11:08 am

Congrats!! That’s so exciting!

Regarding HG – there is actually medicine for that. Who knew? But I didn’t find out until AFTER having all three of my kiddos (and now we’re adopting, so its not needed), so I can’t say how well it worked. However, my twin and I both had HG, and she had her two kids after I had mine and was prescribed it and it at least prevented the need for a toilet.

Also, mine got better with each pregnancy. By the third, I barely threw up – just stayed nauseous (not sure if that really is better or worse, haha).

And about being effaced – my best friend doesn’t have a strong enough cervix to carry a baby full term so she just had them put in a cerclage, which eliminated bed rest.

Wow, look at me, so full of answers today. Sorry. Anyhow, hope this pregnancy is beautiful and perfect. Best to you and Sam!

January 18, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Was it Zofran? I was on that starting at 14 weeks last time but until then it was pretty miserable. At least that slowed the barfing down. Lol.

• Courtney

January 18, 2012 at 10:43 am

Sweet! Congratulations!

• Megan at SortaCrunchy

January 18, 2012 at 10:14 am

First of all, CONGRATS!!!

Secondly, I always tell early, too. My view on it is that the people whom I would want to celebrate with me are the same people I would want to grieve with me if we should lose a baby early. I know that approach isn’t right for everyone, but it’s what feels right for me.

Again, congrats and best wishes for a WONDERFUL pregnancy!

1. Courtney

January 18, 2012 at 10:45 am

Love you reasoning. I thought the same thing, so true 🙂

January 18, 2012 at 8:42 pm

I couldn’t have said it better. This is exactly how I feel about it. Thanks for coming over here Megan. It made me smile. 🙂

• molly

January 18, 2012 at 10:11 am

Diana, you do what you need and want to do. This is your baby and your blog. I told fairly early too with both of mine. Six weeks or so. I knew I would blog about it no matter what happened so it just seemed natural to me.

• Jess

January 18, 2012 at 10:08 am

I’m so so happy for you honey! I hope that this is a pregnancy you get to enjoy without the super sickness you had last time. YAY!!!

January 18, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Me too! And thanks Jess. Come Christmas someone is going to get to squeeze a baby in El Paso. 🙂

• Mrs. MidAtlantic

January 18, 2012 at 9:48 am

There is a little life in you! I LOVE IT! That is the sweetest line I have ever read on a blog. And also the best reason I have ever read for “telling” about a pregnancy! A little life… because through it all, that is my favorite part of pregnancy. The ability to carry a little life inside. SQUEE!

• Melissa

January 18, 2012 at 9:46 am

Congrats! I told everyone I was pregnant with my second at 6 weeks…I kind of felt like hey…if things don’t go as planned I will have some support…which I didn’t have when I had a m/c at 10 weeks the first time I was pregnant…i hadn’t told anyone I was pregnant yet so no one even knew to feel bad for me!

Good luck…let’s hope you don’t barf for 8 months! ugh!

January 18, 2012 at 8:39 pm

That’s exactly how I feel with the support too! Love it.

• Mayfair Mum

January 18, 2012 at 9:31 am

Congratulations from a new reader. What a wonderful way to share your joy. I wish I had known about blogging when I was pregnant with my Little Chap, now three. It would have been so lovely to keep a record of all those special days. Good luck and I look forward to reading more.

January 18, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Thanks for coming over and leaving such a sweet comment. I wish I’d blogged or even kept a journal with my first, but it’s a wonderful thing to have it this time around as she becomes a big sister.

• Sarah P.

January 18, 2012 at 8:55 am

Praise be to God! Thanks for sharing your story. It is truly an encouragement!
    Congratulations!

January 18, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Thank you Sarah!

• Kassia

January 18, 2012 at 8:52 am

I LOVE it! Every pregnancy, no matter the length, is amazing and a miracle! Congratulations and Prayers for you and the tiny baby inside you!

January 18, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Thank you lady!

• angela

January 18, 2012 at 8:48 am

Yay! I am sending vibes and prayers to you that your second pregnancy will go smoothly. Enjoy every minute of it (well, not the barfing minutes, but you know what I mean.)

January 18, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Lol! I know. And I’m really trying. 🙂 Thank you!

• Desi

January 18, 2012 at 8:31 am

I would want to scream it from the rooftops! I see nothing wrong with spilling the beans early, you’re a grown woman and you know the risks. Yay Diana! I’m so excited for you. Now I’ll send positive vibes your way for no 8 months of nausea!

January 18, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Thank you!! I have a little already but I’m praying and hoping it stays just like this. Enough to let me know everything is ok in there. 🙂

• Dana K

January 18, 2012 at 8:28 am

best wishes for a safe & healthy pregnancy!

HG sucks & I wouldn’t wish it in my worst enemy. Here’s to a puke-free pregnancy.

• Sarah Hammond

January 18, 2012 at 8:22 am

WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO! 🙂 I’ll drink a white russian in your honor tonight! (It’s my new favorite drink… like a latte, but better! Probably shouldn’t have given up starbucks now that I think about it..) hehe 🙂 Thrilled for you!

January 18, 2012 at 8:35 pm

::gasp:: You gave up Starbucks? And you’re still able to wake up? :p I’m telling you, you inspired me to be more hardcore about Starbucks the last year.

• Amber

January 18, 2012 at 8:16 am

Yay!

• Ashley

January 18, 2012 at 8:16 am

Oh My Gosh!! Congrats!! It is so exciting. No matter if it is baby 2, 5, or 10! New babies are a blessing!

January 18, 2012 at 8:34 pm

I think so too! And thank you!!

• Heather Nix

January 18, 2012 at 8:13 am

I just took a test this morning and just found out that I am pregnant with my first child!! I have to admit that I have alot of reservations about telling even my family that I am pregnant! You’re words are definitely reassuring to me! I shouldn’t be scared, I should embrace and enjoy what the future holds! So thank you for sharing!!
    -Heather

January 18, 2012 at 8:33 pm

This is wonderful news!!! Congrats! I am thrilled for you. You do what’s right for you. Many people are comfortable waiting and some aren’t – it such a personal choice. I’m so glad you told us here though 🙂

January 18, 2012 at 8:13 am

I love love LOVE this post! You have such a great way of expressing your feelings.

January 18, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Thanks Jen – that was really sweet of you.

• Lisa @ Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy

January 18, 2012 at 8:08 am

congrats!!!

• Jennifer @ Also Known As the Wife

January 18, 2012 at 8:05 am

Woo Hoo! You’re having a baby!!

My “pee stick reveal” to Tim was just like yours with Bella only I was pissed off at him for most of the night so when I finally got over it, it was 10:30 p.m. and I was like “oh yeah, btw, check this out” and hand him something I peed on.

Don’t feel like you have to justify anything you do on here. Like you said it’s your space and just because you’re early on doesn’t make this less exciting or less of a little person growing inside you.

I can’t wait to read about this for the next 9 months. I hope it’s smooth sailing for everyone.

• Alison@Mama Wants This

January 18, 2012 at 8:05 am

Congratulations! Yours is the second pregnancy announcement I’ve read today and it makes me joyful. From one 2nd-time-pregnant mom to another, let me say this. Go celebrate. Rejoice in the new life you’re bringing to this world, come what may.