10 weeks pregnant with twins

February 29, 2012

————
Wow, that’s a really big ad thing. :/Just for today though.

Anyway, still can’t wrap my head around it. I have twins.

So the last one of these I did was 8 weeks, before I found out there were two little ones. I was looking forward to writing out this one to see how much stuff changed between then and now:

Babies are the size of a…? Kumquat! Aw. 2 little fruits. This is a 12 week photo – I can’t find a site that does actual weekly twin shots and not just every 4 weeks. But close enough.

Photo Credit: BabyCenter.com

How far along? 10 weeks 3 days. My uterus should be around 13ish weeks? Feels like 20…

Maternity clothes? ::snort:: Full on tops and pants. Plus a bigger bra.

Weight Gain? Yeah. I’m supposed to gain anywhere from 40-56lbs. Most of it during the first two trimesters. (This is according to Twins, Trips, and Quads) But I’ve done good because without even knowing I was having twins, my body took care of storing extra weight for me those first 9 weeks. How is it that it knows to do that but when I need to fit back into my jeans it gets all disobedient on me?

Stretch Marks? They’re a’comin.

Sleep? Surprisingly? Yes. Pretty well except for the peeing. I keep the room at a lovely temp that Sam calls “bone chilling” and then throw off all the covers as I find the coolest part of the sheets and pillow. I sleep fairly well when I’m not stressing out.

Movement? I don’t know. I KNOW. Everyone is going to be all, “You’re only 10 weeks!” But honestly, sometimes I think I feel the faintest flutter. After all, I have two in there. I’m sure it’s just me right now, but it should be soon.

Genders? YES. To answer all the questions, we are for sure finding out. Can’t imagine not. We may know at this next appt in 3 weeks (I hear a lot of people with multiples find out sooner than others) but if not then we’ll know by the 17 week one for sure. That puts us at mid April. <—-insert squeeeee here

What I miss? Wanting to eat. Wanting to cook. Staying awake past 8:30pm.

Food cravings? Meh, still not much. Shredded Wheat with strawberries. French fries. Anything cold.

Food aversions? Almost everything at some point.

Labor signs? No. Hoping it stays that way for a long time.

Belly button in or out? In. Never popped with Bella. It just became a large cave. So this time…

What I’m looking forward to? Our next ultrasound in 2 1/2 weeks. My parents will be there with us! Then Sam and I get to sit down with the new DO and talk with her about birth, weight, her delivery experience, etc. If anyone has had a DO instead of an MD I would love to talk to you.

Milestones? I have grown two babies for a little over 10 weeks. And we are so close to second tri.

Things I wish people knew: This is a new one. I want to say I am totally ok with having a necessary c-section but my hope is for a vaginal birth. My primary concern is having the healthiest babies I can – so when it all boils down I don’t really care enough about the “perfect” birth to freak out over not one or the other. However – it’s a subject that is really only valid to me, Sam, and the Dr. Regardless of how anyone else’s experience went.

If you are reading this with multiples, I’d love to know your favorite books, sites, message boards (not The Bump – lurker only this time) and would really love to talk to someone about their experience with their Dr – loved it or hated it. I’m super nervous about meeting with mine and just freezing up, not asking the right questions, etc.

Thanks for all the love on here the past few weeks!

• Meg

September 15, 2012 at 9:21 pm

I found out at 7 weeks that my hubby and I are having twins! we were super excited since we just had a miscarriage a few months ago which was my first pregnancy and now this my second. I am now 10 weeks and I have been sooooo sick, my latest thing is to wretch up blood in the morning from my raw esophagus that has been plagued by some serious reflux. I’m uber tired and def tearing up when I watch TLC hehe. Even though this is my first successful pregnancy, I already look like I’m 16 weeks pregnant and full into maternity wear. I find it so hard to find info and blogs about twins at my stage. Thanks for sharing!! 🙂

1. Meg

September 15, 2012 at 9:46 pm

ohhhhh i just read into some more of your blog… I am so sorry to be responding to this after such a tragic loss in your family. I see that you are a really strong woman and have done some amazing insightful soul searching. Please delete my post. I just miscarried at 10 weeks in may, while all of my friends continued on easily and effortlessly in there pregnancies. I ended up with postpartum depression and anxiety afterwards, my hormones were so out of wack that I hyperovulated and am pregnant with twins and I pray every day that they stick with me. I’ll be praying for you through your adoption!!! and am thinking of you.

• Chasity Kagi

August 29, 2012 at 10:32 am

My dear hubby & myself will be celebrating our 12th Anniversary next month on Sept.12th and it seems like ages ago & then sometimes it seems like just yesterday we met & fell in love hard! but the icing on our cake is when we seen on the very first ultrasound those 2 little round circles on the screen and the doc said congrats its twins! We were both in shock but laughed a little because my hubby ad just told me a few days prior before we had even seen a doctor, he said one morning when we had woke up ” I had a dream we had twins!”, I told him that wasnt funny cause my great grandmother had 2 sets of twin girls one set 9 months after the 1st set of girls! so we looked at each other & at the ultrasound then back at each other and laughed and said WOW, and i said that’s crazy that you dreamt we had twins hunny and look its true!!! you are friggin psychic lol! And so we went on to have full term twin girls,
    twin A weighed 6lbs 10 oz. & twin B weighed 6lbs 02 oz. and they were healthy and didnt need any nicu help or anything ! we were so blessed cause the lady next to my room had twins also and they were rushed to the preemie ward in the n.i.c.u and were only 2 pounds each…sad, and i felt sadly guilty in a weird way but thankful that I was able to make such big healthy babies!! and i was only able to breast feed for 2 months due to a doctor’s inaccurate advice as to Vicodin not being safe to take and breastfeed after surgery to my herniated bellybutton! we later found out after my breast milk ha already dried up that i could in fact have nursed them and only a very minimal amount would have crossed thru the milk and the benefits of the mothers milk would have far outweighed the tiny amount of medicine that would have been in my milk!!! to this day i am still very disappointed and even a bit resentful to that dumb doctor for not letting me nurse my twins like i had wanted! anyways i was told it would get easier having twins but it has never gotten easier and they are gonna be 12 years old next April 28th! they fight like crazy and have been polar opposites since they were in my womb, yep they even fought in my belly..which we thought at the time was funny but now we realize it was a look at what was to come! they are not twinnie at all, they are complete opposites and even at birth we had to desperate them after only 1 day at home and buy another crib& bassinet because they would cry until we would separate them! never made sense to me even unto this day as i type i dont know why they are such negative opposites to each other!!! IT HAS ALWAYS SADDENED ME TO MY CORE(=,..O[)
    and now we are preggo again and worried it will be twins again like my great gma! although we do have 2 preteen helpers which would make it waaaay easier than it was when we had them and didnt have even 1 person to help us out…nope not 1 family member or friend because i had to cut ties with everyone from my past due to my wanting to have a life n family of better moral quality and standards! didnt want any lowlife ppl in my life or my new babies lives period! sad but i made my own family filled with love and more love and lots of good times and good morals too!!! well ttyl n hope 4 the best 4 us all woooot=o]]!
    Best of luck and blessings to you and all other mumz to be of twinz and singles etc! Alwayz sincere, Chasity Kagi n fammy

• Brei

August 5, 2012 at 1:22 am

So, Im mearly 18, Ive had a long, rough, crazy life. I’ve just found out I dont even have the correct last name, although Ive never blogged like this, still have not taken a doctors test (blood test) I know I am pregnant, I know my body, and I know, I did not just randomly gain weight in my abdomen, where Ive never had to work for abs before, all of my symptoms are the same as what Ive read online today, and I am in line to have twins, so my parents tell me. The only explanation Ive come up with is twins, I took a test almost two months (7) weeks ago, it was negative, however. Ive had sex since, and I had had sex two weeks prior, and a week prior to the negative test. Everything smells so strong, I get so tired and faint with heat all the time even in chilly rooms. My body is achy and my stomach is about 3 to 4 inches biger in a bowl like shape around my belly button, but more on the bottom side near the bikini line, not quite at the line tho, Ive laid on my back and looked today, and usually i can suck in my gut to wear I look bulimic, but i couldnt suck in that ball, and now. Im worried and I think i need to go get checked out..but im scared something will be wrong with my luck, can someone please talk? -Brei 18

• Ariel R.

July 9, 2012 at 2:24 pm

I just read your post here, and I love this! Im considering taking up a blag to keep our friends and family further updated if I do turn out to have twins in my tummmy, too! Ill know on the 17th, but several events have all ready made me believe it! 🙂

1. Ariel R.

July 9, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Blag? I meant blog. Smh, darn keyboard!

• pamela

July 9, 2012 at 12:01 am

How much did you weigh at 10weeks

• Tanna

March 20, 2012 at 9:36 am

I am currently 10 weeks pregnant with twins and I to feel movement. It is amazing to me how different it is with twins rather then one! I also have a 6 year old daughter and I dont remember being nearly as sick or nearly as tired with her. I was definitly not showing like i am now!!! I loved reading this post it helps reading that what I am experiencing is not just me!

• MomEinstein

March 1, 2012 at 11:49 am

Yay for being 10 weeks! I felt #2 moving around 13 weeks, so it’s possible that with two of them in there you can feel movement already. I just picture them pushing each other back and forth in your ute. And now I feel creepy because I’m picturing your ute, hahaha.

• Kendra

March 1, 2012 at 10:55 am

I love how you went through all of those questions. I feel like toward the end of a pregnancy we should wear shirts that list the gender, how you are feeling, due date, and if it is your first! I’m not pregnant and don’t have multiples so I’m not much help in the way of advice. But I love reading your updates and after seeing my aunt get to 38 weeks and deliver perfect, healthy twin girls, I know you will do great too. I always appreciate hearing the success stories instead of the scary tales of things going wrong. But doesn’t it seem those are the ones we hear the most of?!?! Anyway, sounds like you are already on track for a happy story of your own!

• Megan

March 1, 2012 at 6:42 am

I am loving reading your blog…. I have 15 mo old identical twin boys and are currently 14 weeks pregnant with my third (yikes). I totally understand freaking out about having mulitples, and while everyone else was so excited for me I just wanted to curl up and cry. I was worried about not having the perfect pregnancy, birth, not being able to parent the way that I had always imagined. I mourned the loss of individuality that I thought my kids would have with always have a sibling to compete/compare with. All I have to say is there were some things that I was right to worry about…. but there are so many other joys that you can only experience when you are in the midst of things. As far as doctors, my only recommendation is to get into a good high risk clinic…. they are traditionally called maternal-fetal medicine (or MFM). Mine were lifesavers, quite litterally. The Barbara Luke book is the best out there. Kind of scary at times, but full of really really great info. Also look for multiples groups in your area… I have an amazing one, full of super supportive families who know exactly what you are going through. I’m excited about following your journey!!!

• Suz

February 29, 2012 at 9:14 pm

How’d you get the twin photo? My baby center stuff is all for singletons & kinda super off…

February 29, 2012 at 9:17 pm

http://www.babycenter.com/303_carrying-twins-or-multiples_3637592.bc – I had to go looking for it everywhere. They have all kinds of cool info on their site.

1. Suz

February 29, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Nice! I’ll have to check that out tomorrow when I’m not on my cell commenting.
        Yay for almost being done with first trimester!

• Elle @elletheheiress

February 29, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I’m curious to know if everything is amplified in a twin pregnancy, but all of the people I know with twins have never been pregnant with a singleton before. So, of course, YOU get to be the lucky one who I ask! Are you twice as tired? Twice as hungry? Twice as hormonal?

February 29, 2012 at 5:04 pm

I am definitely twice as tired. I know that. I can barely stay up till 9 and that’s with a nap during the day. Hungry – I’m not sure yet. I know my food aversion is twice as bad – everything sounds nasty the majority of the time. 🙁

Hormonal? Sigh. Yes. Twice as. I bawl over everything. And I snap about stupid stuff. Ugh.

P.S. I loved being asked this. 🙂

1. Suz

February 29, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Everything I read/heard said with twins/triplets, you should/could be twice plus as tried, hungry, sick etc. Never been pregnant with a singleton, but I was spent aka sooooo tired 1st tri & have been super hungry unless I eat every two hours.

• autumn beck | all about cloth diapers

February 29, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I’m laughing right now. I am a terrible blog reader but I’m pretty sure the last time I read your blog you were writing about not having any more children. Funny this is the post I pick up on.

February 29, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Um. Yes. Lol. Well, we decided for one more in the meantime after a ton of thought. And then SURPRISE! We got two. 🙂 And now we are done.

1. autumn beck | all about cloth diapers

February 29, 2012 at 7:41 pm

And of course what I should have said first is “Congratulations!” I love babies!

• Kelli

February 29, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I’ve worked with both MDs and DOs in L&D and there really isn’t much difference. Ditto to Katie, I bet you won’t notice much difference.

As for books, my faves so far have been Twins 101 by Khahn-Van Le-Bucklin and Twin Sense by Dagmara Scalise. They’re both nice because they’re written as short tips instead of big, long books. Easy to reference later and easy to read in short pieces of time. I also found Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Twins by Marc Weissbluth insanely helpful. Insanely.

And I loved my doctor. All 3 in the practice were great, but the one who ended up delivering me was great. Very honest, very calm, very reassuring. Ask how much experience your doc has with twin pregnancies and especially twin vaginal deliveries. Mine had a lot of experience and was very comfortable doing one, which put me at ease. You can never ask too many questions with twinkies!

• Teresa

February 29, 2012 at 10:16 am

I love these updates! Can I copy your questions? Where do you get them?

February 29, 2012 at 4:24 pm

You sure can! I am trying to add/delete a few each week to keep it interesting – I just make the new ones up. I took mine from Suz at http://suztreats.com but I’ve seen them all over the place.

• Katie

February 29, 2012 at 10:07 am

My dad is a DO- they are exactly the same as MD’s but with more of a focus on treating the whole body rather than just a localized area. They have the same training & residencies, with some extra hours in hands-on manual medicine. You won’t notice a difference in your care, I promise!

• Momma Maven

February 29, 2012 at 9:40 am

Babies YAY! So happy for you and so jealous…. remind me of that if I end up knocked up squared next time around, oh my god I would faint… 4 kiddos aaggghhhhh! Anywhoo, when I was pregnant with baby D I felt movement around 11ish weeks for sure so I bet you feel them in there. On another note, spoke to my SIL’s about the tiny carseats they used, they were just some Peg Perego’s, not sure if there’s something better or smaller out there but they worked for them. And on baby gear x2, I highly recommend the Kolcraft Contours Tandem stroller… it’s pretty mighty and large but it steers very smoothly. Seats come off easily for storing/traveling. Can accomodate 2 infant seats, and then of course the seats come off and configure in a million ways, the basket is huge…. and it has the ‘older kid’ handles on the side so that they can hold on and walk next to you, oh and it was really pretty cheap. Ok so that’s a super long comment 🙂 happy 10 weeks!

February 29, 2012 at 5:09 pm

This is so incredibly helpful. I was just thinking about strollers today and in between my head exploding with the amount of them out there, I also wondered about which really would work. Do you think it would be good for two toddlers later on?

You are so sweet to help me. I will giggle (just a little) if you end up with twins the next go round… 😉 but at least I know you’ll be ahead of the game.

1. Momma Maven

February 29, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Ha! Yea you and me both! I’d be lying if I said I didn’t hope for it in some teeeny weeeny remote part of my brain, but whoa buddy! No honestly I don’t know why my brain jumped to twin baby gear… randomness… but one of the reasons I picked the Kolcraft was because it would work with twins, it is like a snap n go but lasts longer because you get real seats too. With our family history the docs have just laughed at us and tell us it’s a matter of time (hubbs sisters are identical twins and he has about 7 or 8 sets on his side, and I have 7 sets of twins on my side including my great maternal grandma who was a triplet back in the 1890’s! crazay I tell you!)

Anyway, the other reason I picked it was obviously for our 2 under 2 situation because of the way the seats come on and off they are perfect for the older toddlerhood times. My main likes are that the seats configure in a million ways, they can face eachother- both face forward- both face mom- one forward & one back- etc. The infant seat attachment was included, not $100 more like others. Both seats fold completely flat so you can have 2 napping at once rather than others out there where only one folds flat. And I liked that both kids had a decent amount of legroom, I couldn’t imagine the other ones that are shorter because one kid would constantly be kicking the other and that would go downhill in a HURRY! I also love that the basket is large because you can never have enough room to store your crap and MASSIVE diaper bag for 2 (or more). What I didn’t want was a side by side because they don’t fit through ANYTHING…. doorways, elevators, nothing. And I didn’t want one of the sit & stands because I knew my 18 month old would never sit there voluntarily, he needed to be strapped down. I also didn’t want one of those weird ones that the little kid is tucked under the older one staring at their butt the whole time, by the time they were 1 they’d hate every second of being in it for sure. The Kolcraft also folds one handed… duh, no brainer. It is a bit heavy to lift in and out of the car, but guess what so are toddlers and flippin infants in carriers! And you can take the seats off and use none, 1, or both. I think we only paid about $180-$200 at Burlington with a 15% off coupon so compared to all the others that were 3x as much it was a pretty easy decision.

So yea, that’s the long & short of our decision on the Kolcraft 🙂

• melissa

February 29, 2012 at 8:53 am

I started feeling movement at 8 weeks with both my pregnancies, so I’m sure that’s what you’re feeling! So fun!!! Cute little kumquats!!

• Kate

February 29, 2012 at 8:47 am

I thought I felt movement at 10 weeks during my second pregnancy. I wasn’t 100% sure about it until I talked with the midwife at my 12 week appointment and she confirmed it was not only possible but common to feel movement that early the second (and subsequent) time.