8 weeks pregnant

February 14, 2012

I figure, as long as this is my last pregnancy, and something I’ve wanted to document on my blog since starting it, well then heck

I better start living it up!

I’ll be sick no matter what so I’ll just try to focus on the rest as often as possible.

I finally get to put these stat things on here I’ve read everywhere for 2 years. You don’t know how happy this makes me. I’ve been trying to find them for the past few weeks but remembered Suz posts them and so I stole it from her. Then added a couple of my own. I’m going to change up the questions a bit each week as things become less relevant or there are new updates.

Baby is the size of a…? A kidney bean! An angry kidney bean by the looks of it.

Photo Credit: BabyCenter.com

How far along? 8 weeks 2 days according to me. 10 weeks according to “the chart”. But next Monday is my dating ultrasound and we’ll all be on the same page.

Maternity clothes? Omg. I tweeted about this last night. I really want to bust mine out. Badly. But I just can’t do it yet. The most tweeted back # was 10 weeks – I am just so uncomfortable.

I’m really terrified to start wearing them and have someone ask how far along I am and answer with 8 weeks. ::dead:: with mortification. So instead, I just look like Britney muffin’ toppin’ it at the MTV awards a few years back. Sans killer tan and hair extensions.

Weight Gain? I was already up 5lbs at my first appointment. However, that was only a week into the hyperemesis. So now that it’s fully kicked in, I expect it to slow tremendously. I’m trying to be careful but as sick as I am I’ll eat anything my stomach will let me. My midwife wants me to snack all day to help with the nausea.

Stretch Marks? Just the barely visible few leftovers.

Sleep? Meh. The Zofran helps with this. I don’t wake up at 2 and 4 wondering if I’m going to hurl on Sam’s back. I do wake up at 6 pretty sick, but it helps me have a much sounder sleep until then.

Movement? I forgot to tell you I was asked this at the last appointment. I’m pretty sure it was standard but I was like, “Well, I’m 6 weeks so no…” Unless I’m growing some kind of freakishly strong child. (I was also asked if I was sexually active by the nurse in the interview. Sexually.active. There because I’m pregnant. Really?)

Genders? ZOMG I CAN’T WAIT. End of April/Beginning of May.

What I Miss? Not feeling sick 24-7. Having an appetite instead of that sick feeling that reminds me I need to eat.

Food cravings? I crave things and then immediately don’t want them. Kinda sucks. But I adore milk, Shredded Wheat (the no sugar, spoonful ones), fruit, and anything cold.

Food aversions? Everything but the 4 things listed above. It all makes me sick to think about it or see it. 🙁

Labor signs? No. Hoping it stays that way for a long time.

Belly button in or out? In. Never popped with Bella. It just became a large cave.

What I’m looking forward to? Midwife appt on Thursday! Ultrasound on Monday! And hitting second tri in a month. Also Blissdom next week. Totally unrelated to pregnancy but always on my mind.

Milestones? I’m alive? Um… :p We heard the heartbeat two weeks ago. I can feel my uterus when I’m laying on my stomach. That’s pretty cool.

So now tell me, what do you all think about bras at this point? Right into nursing ones? Just buy bigger regular ones? I’m in need of new ones but I don’t really remember what I did last time for this.

& Happy Valentine’s Day!! xxoo

• Meghan

February 19, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I wish I had some wonderful words of advice for you, but alas, I do not:) I do enjoy your blog, though and look forward to reading more.

• MomEinstein

February 16, 2012 at 8:06 pm

I was in maternity pants around 5-6 weeks this time around. No shame here. And if someone asks, just say you’re 2 months pregnant and walk away before they do the math.

As for bras, I like wearing regular bras SO MUCH more than nursing bras, so I plan to wear them until delivery.

• Janelle

February 15, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Maternity wear definitely came much, MUCH earlier with baby #2. I didn’t have to bust out the stretchy waist jeans till 20+ weeks with #1, but was in the at half that with #2. Darn those loose abdominal muscles!

• Laura

February 15, 2012 at 6:07 am

Put on those maternity clothes, Mama! Seriously, I am sure I was busting out the mat clothes by six weeks this time around (I’m on pregnancy number 2). I had to tell work around 8 weeks because people were already asking.

As for bras, I definitely needs to go bigger as soon as I got pregnant again. My nursing bras from last time were too big but a maternity bra I got last time works quite well. It is ugly as sin and probably needs to be replaced, but I am all about reusing! I would wait a bit before getting fitted for a nursing bra. At least for me, my boobs got even bigger nursing then they were while pregnant.

• Tonya

February 14, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I am wearing yoga pants to work. LOL. I’m 7 wks and 2 days and my regular pants are just a tinge tight and uncomfortable. Plus – I own the company so I will do what I want. LOL. 🙂

• Suz

February 14, 2012 at 11:45 am

i say wear what’s comfortable! You don’t want anything tight when you already don’t feel well. Bust out those maternity clothese without shame!

As for bras, I had a couple non-wired ones that have actually continued to fit. Abeit now the girls are spilling out the top, but I haven’t wanted to buy nursing ones til I know just how big they’re going to get!

• Jennifer @ Also Known As the Wife

February 14, 2012 at 10:40 am

I LOL’d at the “angry kidney bean” description. Baby looks like he is saying “victory will be mine!”

I don’t think it matters right now which bra you get just get yourself a comfortable one pronto. Bras were my biggest issue through my pregnancy…mostly because I didn’t realize I was wearing the wrong size. And stay away from those awful Motherhood Maternity ones…in fact stay away from that store entirely. It’s overpriced and questionable quality at most.

I’m wearing the Gilligan & O’Malley nursing bras from Target. They’re lacy too so I don’t look like a lactating grandmother when I take my top off. $16.99 a pop…can’t beat it.

1. Kate

February 14, 2012 at 11:19 am

Motherhood Maternity is definitely overpriced but I was in there last weekend (looking for a sleep/nursing bra) and all of their clearance stuff was buy one get one free.

• Kim

February 14, 2012 at 10:34 am

I say jump into the maternity clothes 🙂 But I loved mine like they were chocolate, so I’m probably not the one to go with. I bought bigger bras b/c I couldn’t find a nursing bra that wasn’t ugly. But I hear they have pretty ones now, so do whatever makes you feel good. You feeling good is the important thing here. 🙂 I also loved this post!

• Good Girl Gone Green

February 14, 2012 at 9:04 am

For bras, I got bra extensions and wore my sports bras for my pregnancy and only wore nursing ones after she was born. I didn’t want to spend more money on a bra that was only good for a short time. I am still nursing, so I haven’t invested in a new bra yet! I hope you get some relief from the nausea and vomiting!!

February 14, 2012 at 8:06 am

I did this with Ashland too. Love reading them! I just went with a bigger more comfortable bra until I was 32-36 weeksish. With Brighton I was in maternity pants at 11 weeks, with Ashland it was 13 (I started out 10 lbs lighter with her)

• Alexia @ Babies & Bacon

February 14, 2012 at 8:04 am

Sad to say but I busted out the maternity jeans at about 8 or 9 weeks this time. I just couldn’t sit or be comfy in my regular pants anymore (and refuse to wear yoga pants out of the house). Just wear a longer top and if anyone asks they have no shame. You can shock the hell out of ’em and say you’re 8 months!

As for bras…are you still nursing Bella? I forgot if you are. Either way, I would go with bigger regular bras. Cause they’re more supportive. And you’ll have plenty of time for nursing bras after the baby comes.

I know you’re really going through a rough time physically right now, but so glad to hear the happy details too!! Pregnancy is just so hard sometimes. But just think, when this is over you will have grown a human being! How cool is that?

• Desi

February 14, 2012 at 7:53 am

I hope for your sake you find some relief after the first trimester. Maybe? Possibly? I can’t imagine being sick 24/7 with a toddler…You deserve a medal. Seriously. I also think that I bought some bigger bras to get me through.

• Caitlin MidAtlantic

February 14, 2012 at 7:36 am

I got myself a bigger bra to “get me through” pregnancy till I could jump into some nursing bras. But… my chest seems to be growing at a faster rate than my uterus, so. I think I need to invest in another bigger bra to “get me through.” SIGH.