Fork in the Road

March 12, 2012

Maybe it’s just hormones. But lately I’ve been thinking about, yet again, starting over on here. With twins on the way and all the life changes it will bring, it almost feels natural to move away from here. A new blog, new name, new goals.

I had someone ask about all the work I’ve put in here, but sometimes that stifles me. It feels like I’ve dug in so deep that at times I can’t get out of the place I’ve found myself.

This isn’t a quit blogging post – because I promised I wouldn’t do anymore of those. And I don’t want to. But in the next year or two, I can focus on a new blog and there won’t be much to worry about besides just writing. I’ll be so busy with my 3 little ones that it would be nice to write in a place where there are no expectations or deadlines.

Every time I go to a conference and someone mentions starting a new blog, starting fresh, I feel this longing to do just that. I feel strongly like God has laid this on my heart in the past year for a reason, but I don’t know if it means to make this blog new or go somewhere else.

But can I? Can I leave a blog I’ve poured my heart and time into for so long behind in a few months? I would miss this little space tremendously, as odd as that sounds.

Would it be the worst mistake I’ve made on here or the best chance I ever took? And the problem is, I won’t know till I make it. I think once the twins get here, I have to take a leap and keep going either way – something tells me that after that I’ll have to wait a good long while to try again. I don’t know if I can try and then come back with all the effort and emotional investment starting another would take.

Have any of you done this? Have you regretted it down the road or was it a good choice?

• Rebecca

March 12, 2012 at 9:43 pm

I love you and all the things you write about (especially the things that really mean alot to you – despite all the controversy!).

Like everyone else, I would follow you wherever you went.

My advice is to keep sharing and start challenging yourself to share the things that are really on your heart. Holding them back will keep you from growing in your writing and it will withhold the challenge that your words could be to some of your readers.

I think we all need to be challenged. I don’t get negative comments because my blog is so small, so I don’t understand exactly how personal it can be or how much it can sting (although I can imagine it’s rough) so you may want to take my advice with a grain of salt.

I say keep writing. Pour out your heart regardless of controversy.

And, controversy breeds traffic so you could blow the lid off your stats!

Whatever you decide, I’m so happy to have met you and I look forward to following your journey wherever you choose to chronicle it 🙂

• Amber

March 12, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I don’t think you need to make any decisions right now. Just make it through to the end of your pregnancy and enjoy (as best you can with sleep deprivation) those sweet babies of yours! I’ve spent too long worrying about things in the future. Enjoy today. You will know what is best. Looks like you’ve got loyal followers who support you no matter where you are! And now I get to as well 🙂 And when I first found your blog and I saw that you are pregnant with twins your blog name made so much sense.

• Veronica

March 12, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Well as you know I did recently start over at a new domain. I archived my old stuff. It hasnt been long but if keeping your traffic is super duper important to you maybe rethink it. Mine has plummeted but I dont care. I only blog for me. If I get anything that interests me out of it AWESOME but if not that is more than OK. I am loving it though. Love having a new space that reflects the me I am today vs. the one I was two years ago.
    Good luck either way.

• Kendra

March 12, 2012 at 9:59 am

Isn’t it just my luck that you decide to do something different just as I started following your blog! But as the first person who commented mentioned, based on what I’ve already seen, I’d follow you where ever you decided to go too. I recently read “This should be a private post,” along with some that followed it and I have to say it really shed some light on things that I have been going through in my own life. I have admired your honesty and vulnerability within your posts and it definitely has empowered me. So… thank you!!!!! No matter what you decide to do I know it will be the right decision and as long as you are being fulfilled the rest will always fall into place. Follow your heart. 🙂

• Kelli

March 12, 2012 at 9:56 am

I agree with Vanessa. “Hormonal Imbalances” will apply after the twins are born more than you know! And I think you’ll find that writing after they’re born will be a good outlet for you.

Having 3 kids under 3 is like nothing you’ve ever experienced. I started my blog as an outlet for myself when we moved. And it’s still just that. An outlet for me. My friends and a few family members tell me they read it and I have 6 followers. There’s no pressure to keep up. No sponsors to please. While it would be nice to know if someone enjoys reading it, I write mainly for myself. I want to be able to remember these crazy days.

Do what’s best for you my friend. And know that most of us who read you here will follow you and support you and look forward to your posts whether they’re once a day or once a month!

• Beth Anne

March 12, 2012 at 9:42 am

You know I’d follow you anywhere!

& that I’ve had those same thoughts. I just can’t quite pull the trigger on it without worrying that I will lose everything I’ve worked for.

• Vanessa

March 12, 2012 at 9:11 am

I have no experience with “blogging” although I long to start one…maybe your post will encourage me too. However, I think with twins on the way Hormonal Imbalances is the perfect name and place to continue your journey but that’s just my opinion 😉

March 12, 2012 at 9:27 am

That matters to me – my name on here is often the reason I want to start another 🙂 so hearing that it fits the life I have makes me rethink leaving.

• molly

March 12, 2012 at 9:11 am

I say do what your heart and God are leading you to do. I know I will follow where ever you go 😉

Sometimes I want to start a blog that focuses on something different. But then I laugh hysterically at myself because I barely have time for the blog I have now.

March 12, 2012 at 9:26 am

I know it. I had that idea about a second blog after BlogHer, and got part of the way in and realized how much work it was. There is just no way I could keep up two, which means that I’d have to let this one go completely. And that’s what holds me back so often.

sigh.