Surprise! Again…

March 19, 2012

After the u/s today it’s determined that:

1. I am measuring 20+ weeks and my uterus is above my belly button already.

2. The babies are measuring on target at 13 weeks 1 day and 13 weeks 4 days.

3. They are super active and so fun to watch.Β

4. They are in separate sacs.

5. They are sharing a placenta.

6. They are identical.

Yes. We are having identical twins. No idea what threw them off last time but this time there is one placenta and two sacs. While this puts me at a higher risk in different ways, separate sacs are a good thing.

But of course, I didn’t know this and completely freaked out when she said mono-di. I thought it meant something awful, so IΒ cried all the way to my appointment with my OB who then went over it all with me.

And who I love. Her words, “I’m not a midwife but I’m as close as it gets.”

So we’re just taking it all in. Again. I’m now seeing the Dr every 4 weeks with a u/s until 24 weeks, then every 2. I will deliver at the end of August/beginning of September. There are a lot of other factors we discussed but I’m very, very happy with my care and with my new Dr.

And wow. Identical twins. CRAZY.

• Jenny E.

March 21, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Wowzers!! I like how somebody said ‘special assignment’ … what a great thing to happen to a special couple, and way cool that your parents got to be there for this surprise too!

• Mae

March 20, 2012 at 3:12 pm

All of this is awesome, but #4 makes me really happy πŸ™‚

Also I’m on Team Pink, I think. Just a feeling. I know you were wondering.

March 21, 2012 at 9:25 am

I was indeed. πŸ™‚ Also – I have read several times that identical girls are far more common than boys so your hunch may be right. But I’m just excited to see which ones we get this time around.

• Abigail

March 20, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Wow how exciting! Just when you thought you were done with surprises huh? At least this is a happy surprise.

• Maggie S.

March 20, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Congratuations again! My girls are identical. You will love it. It’s a special assignment.

March 21, 2012 at 9:28 am

Maggie – I would love to chat with you at some point. And now I’m really bummed we didn’t meet up at Blissdom!

• Anne-Marie

March 20, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Ohh you have to do this thing I learned about at Cup of Jo–the twin with the shorter name always has shorter hair! So clever. Helps friends and teachers tell them apart.

• Monica

March 20, 2012 at 10:33 am

Wow!! That is so exciting!! My twins are fraternal and so very different from one another. I think having identical twins would be fun, too. I’m so glad that you are getting good care with an OB that you are comfortable with. I will be praying for a perfectly healthy pregnancy!

• MomEinstein

March 20, 2012 at 10:28 am

Congratulations! Are identical twins less likely? I always figured that fraternal and identical were split pretty evenly in the world.

March 20, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Had to look it up! The chances of fraternal are 1/60. The chances of identical are 1/250. πŸ™‚

• Adam @ Hanging with Dad

March 20, 2012 at 10:03 am

Well now you’re going to have your kids before we do. Guess you just HAD to win the race? πŸ™‚

Glad to hear everything’s good.

• Jennifer @ Also Known As the Wife

March 20, 2012 at 6:02 am

Ah identical twins!

I think God took your vow that this was your last pregnancy seriously and gave you more bang for your buck! πŸ™‚ Cannot wait to see these little ones…after their done fully cooking though.

• Dana @SearsFam

March 19, 2012 at 7:32 pm

I am so sorry that telling you about Mo Mo twins made it all scary for you, I had NO idea you would be having twins when I told you about my Mo Mo twins! I am so happy they have their own sacs and that they are going strong. Amazing Lady!

March 19, 2012 at 7:40 pm

No no! It wasn’t anything you said. It was the OB not telling me anything. I had no idea till I was literally walking out the door and she came up and rescheduled me for being “higher risk with mono-di twins” and then didn’t explain much more. I had no idea what on earth had happened during the u/s to make her change her mind on it all. <3 And we still need to chat soon.

• angela

March 19, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Oh, that is so exciting! Thinking of you & congratulations!

• Andy

March 19, 2012 at 5:18 pm

This is awesome! I was so excited reading this, because the world can always use more identical twins!! Of course as an identical twin I may be biased, but I am very happy for you and Sam.

• Jessi J.

March 19, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Oh em gee! How exciting! Can’t wait to hear boys or girls!!! Identical twins amaze me for real!

• Nicole

March 19, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Congrats!! So exciting. My gut says little girls πŸ™‚

• melissa

March 19, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Awe.some.ness! I’m thinking two girls too! Eeek! Mmkay, you gotta get a gender determining ultrasound at like… 17 weeks. Inquiring minds NEED TO KNOW!!! πŸ˜‰

March 20, 2012 at 8:19 am

That’s when I’ll have it!! I can’t wait. πŸ™‚

• Diana

March 19, 2012 at 3:55 pm

OMG!!! My mouth dropped πŸ™‚ Big congratulations again… How are you feeling lately?

• Noelle

March 19, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Identical twins! Wow! How exciting!

• Katie

March 19, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Oh my goodness!! This just keeps getting more and more exciting. I’m so glad they’re healthy πŸ™‚

March 19, 2012 at 3:37 pm

How exciting, soooo much to look forward too! Can’t wait until you find out what sex they are!

• Kendra

March 19, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Wow! Congratulations! The surprises just keep coming. You must be over the moon. πŸ™‚

• Rachel @ The House of Burks

March 19, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Identical twins, how exciting! Can’t wait to find out if they are girls or boys.

• Yuliana

March 19, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Yay! That’s exactly what my sister had, mono-di twins. They were born at 36 weeks, 6 lbs each!

March 20, 2012 at 8:12 am

Love this comment and happy story! Thank you so much for sharing.

• Tonya

March 19, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Dumb question πŸ™‚ why are identical twins higher risk?

March 19, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Mine share a placenta (I’m still figuring this all out) so there is a chance of twin to twin transfusion that doesn’t exist with fraternal who have their own placentas. But because they are in their own sacs – its good. So much for me to learn now!

• Jess

March 19, 2012 at 3:12 pm

AHHH!! Identical twins?! How exciting! I can’t wait to find out what you are having!

• Jenny

March 19, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Very cool!

Consider this a gentle, loving suggestion to strongly consider seeing a perinatologist (maternal-fetal medicine doctor). They’re specialists in high-risk pregnancies, something that’s invaluable in my book. Considering IDs are high risk … you know. I saw both an OB and MFM group. My OB group covered my personal health as the pregnant person, and the MFM group covered my triplets’ health in utero. One group for me, one group for the babies – that’s the best way I know to describe it.

No judgment if you choose not to, just wanted to put it out there. <3

1. Momma Maven

March 19, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Totally agree! I also saw an MFM along with my OB for both pregnancies, it was just a double reassurance at every appointment, making sure all of the bases were covered and OVER covered! If you can do it I’d highly recommend it πŸ˜‰

March 20, 2012 at 10:26 am

I’d love to see one and have her deliver them, but in El Paso it isn’t possible. They have an extreme shortage of Dr’s here and I’m lucky to get the MFM at my clinic at each ultrasound. I talked to her this last appt (she’s the OB who sprang the “SURPRISE! Identicals!” on me) and she flat out told me I could be moved to her but I would never see her and she wouldn’t be there to deliver either. And under her, I’d be switched to multiple residents and just get whoever. This way, I get the same Dr. for each appt and she’ll be there to deliver, and I see the MFM at each ultrasound and if I become more high risk she’ll see me in some appts as well. Kinda sucks, but at least she’s there part of the time!!
      And thanks lady, I always appreciate your advice on here. Always.

1. Jenny

March 20, 2012 at 10:33 am

That’s good news! As long as you have one on board/in your back pocket – it’s just best to be as covered as you can.

For what it’s worth, my MFM group had nothing to do with my delivery and stated that from the beginning. They were just in charge of keeping up with the babies’ health in utero. They saw me during my first round of preterm labor and ordered the labor-stopping meds and the steroids for the babies’ lung growth. The morning I delivered, they were only called for a quick meeting of the minds, during which they said there was nothing more they could do to stop labor, giving the nod to my OBs to perform the c-section.

So, yeah. Don’t worry about needing them to be your No. 1 doctor. That isn’t important. What’s important is having all hands available if and when you need them. You’re doing a great job with this pregnancy! It isn’t an easy feat to take on, but you’re doing fantastic with it.

• Lisa

March 19, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Yea! I am due toward the end of August myself!! So glad to hear things are going along nicely for you (and BO and GO of course!).

• Teresa

March 19, 2012 at 3:10 pm

So incredible!!!!

• Beth Anne

March 19, 2012 at 3:08 pm

HOLY CATS.

Now I’m thinking two girls, although I had really strong “boy” feelings when I was with you last month.

You know, for what that’s worth.

• Lucy

March 19, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I cannot believe you’re having identical twins. It is surreal!! Are you freaking ecstatic or freaking out?! You are very, very blessed, Diana.

March 19, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I’m just – fried emotionally. I am just so thankful they’re both ok but totally overwhelmed again. It was so unexpected that I’m still processing it all. πŸ™‚

• Alyssa