Even before we knew we were having twins, I knew it. Kinda. It’s hard to explain – but I knew there was something different about this pregnancy. In fact, about 7 weeks in I almost wrote a post on here admitting to having, “I think it’s twins” thoughts, but then I figured it was just hyperemesis again – only worse.
Still, seeing it on the ultrasound shocked me because it was a shock – and because I already knew. Subconsciously I expected her to show us another baby. I think I would have left feeling amiss if she hadn’t.
Anyway, hindsight always makes things clearer. Everyone always wants to know if I ever suspected it was twins, so here are the signs I felt/saw and then brushed off with a shrug:
- I was bigger earlier. Like – 8 weeks in I broke the zipper off my jeans. Clean off. The zipper and 5 of the teeth went sailing across the room as I tried to do the stretch ‘n buckle.
- I got really sick, really fast. By 4 weeks I was pretty nauseated. By 5 I was in need of Zofran. At 6 I couldn’t move off the couch. With Bella, it hit hard but not as fast. I was sick but it came on gradually.
- I was more tired. Really tired. Like – I take a nap every day or by 8 I’m falling asleep on the couch. Well, I still am at 8 but if I push it I can hold out till 9:30/10. No nap? Goodbye world. The exhaustion is so extreme that I honestly cry when I wake up at night and can’t get back to sleep. I’m that tired all the time.
- The food aversion is a lot stronger. Around 4 weeks I started having the worst aversions – to anything. It’s still going strong. Things I can eat I buy a lot of, only to find I can’t stomach even looking at them a few days later. I’ve had dreams of food I hate right now and wake up sick. Smells, sight – I’ve cleaned out the fridge of leftovers just so I didn’t have to see them anymore.
- My pregnancy test was pretty clear. At 3 weeks 5 days I had a positive pregnancy test that made a lot of people say, “Whoa.” I was surprised I got one that early on. Alena even hinted at me on FB that she thought it was multiples. Please see her for all your future psychic needs.
- I gained weight fast. A lot. By my 8 week appointment I was up 10 pounds and cried in the room waiting for my midwife. I had no idea what was going on, since I was so sick and could barely stomach anything. I kept thinking how at that rate I’d end up a small whale and they’d have to wet me down with a hose and then slide me on a hanging stretcher to weigh me by the end.
- I had a weird first and second heartbeat check. Both times the midwives had trouble finding it because it kept “moving”. One side to the other. Which I found strange seeing as my baby was so small. We never heard two, just one on each side.
- I was more emotional. Poor Sam would come home to a weepy, evil mess huddled on the couch barking at him about something that smelled and how everyone hated me. I think knowing it was twins cleared a lot up for him. lol
Some of these signs people experience that are expecting one, some people expecting multiples have none or only some of the signs – but for me it was the extreme of them all that I didn’t quite have with Bella. And just intuition that this time around wasn’t the same at all.
Now I wish I’d written that post about thinking it was twins. How cool would that have been to look back on?