Twin Pregnancy Signs

March 13, 2012

Even before we knew we were having twins, I knew it. Kinda. It’s hard to explain – but I knew there was something different about this pregnancy. In fact, about 7 weeks in I almost wrote a post on here admitting to having, “I think it’s twins” thoughts, but then I figured it was just hyperemesis again – only worse.

Still, seeing it on the ultrasound shocked me because it was a shock – and because I already knew. Subconsciously I expected her to show us another baby. I think I would have left feeling amiss if she hadn’t.

Anyway, hindsight always makes things clearer. Everyone always wants to know if I ever suspected it was twins, so here are the signs I felt/saw and then brushed off with a shrug:

1. I was bigger earlier. Like – 8 weeks in I broke the zipper off my jeans. Clean off. The zipper and 5 of the teeth went sailing across the room as I tried to do the stretch ‘n buckle.
  2. I got really sick, really fast. By 4 weeks I was pretty nauseated. By 5 I was in need of Zofran. At 6 I couldn’t move off the couch. With Bella, it hit hard but not as fast. I was sick but it came on gradually.
  3. I was more tired. Really tired. Like – I take a nap every day or by 8 I’m falling asleep on the couch. Well, I still am at 8 but if I push it I can hold out till 9:30/10. No nap? Goodbye world. The exhaustion is so extreme that I honestly cry when I wake up at night and can’t get back to sleep. I’m that tired all the time.
  4. The food aversion is a lot stronger. Around 4 weeks I started having the worst aversions – to anything. It’s still going strong. Things I can eat I buy a lot of, only to find I can’t stomach even looking at them a few days later. I’ve had dreams of food I hate right now and wake up sick. Smells, sight – I’ve cleaned out the fridge of leftovers just so I didn’t have to see them anymore.
  5. My pregnancy test was pretty clear. At 3 weeks 5 days I had a positive pregnancy test that made a lot of people say, “Whoa.” I was surprised I got one that early on. Alena even hinted at me on FB that she thought it was multiples. Please see her for all your future psychic needs.
  6. I gained weight fast. A lot. By my 8 week appointment I was up 10 pounds and cried in the room waiting for my midwife. I had no idea what was going on, since I was so sick and could barely stomach anything. I kept thinking how at that rate I’d end up a small whale and they’d have to wet me down with a hose and then slide me on a hanging stretcher to weigh me by the end.
  7. I had a weird first and second heartbeat check. Both times the midwives had trouble finding it because it kept “moving”. One side to the other. Which I found strange seeing as my baby was so small. We never heard two, just one on each side.
  8. I was more emotional. Poor Sam would come home to a weepy, evil mess huddled on the couch barking at him about something that smelled and how everyone hated me. I think knowing it was twins cleared a lot up for him. lol

Some of these signs people experience that are expecting one, some people expecting multiples have none or only some of the signs – but for me it was the extreme of them all that I didn’t quite have with Bella. And just intuition that this time around wasn’t the same at all.

Now I wish I’d written that post about thinking it was twins. How cool would that have been to look back on?

• Kim

March 15, 2012 at 8:51 am

That mother’s intuition is pretty crazy, isn’t it?

• Ester

March 15, 2012 at 2:39 am

i’m really interested on this subject, gonna see your other posts, hope they are so good like this one.

• MomEinstein

March 14, 2012 at 2:27 pm

That’s so cool that you knew. Unlike my husband, who thought I was having twins because I looked bigger than last time. Thanks, sweetie.

• Jenny

March 13, 2012 at 1:51 pm

With my triplets, my only Very Strong Symptoms were extreme hunger & fatigue. The morning sickness was more like motion sickness, and it lasted 2 short weeks and would dissipate by mid morning. Of course I gained weight quickly and showed early, but all the extra food & baby baggage had to go somewhere!

My positive pregnancy test happened early, but it wasn’t any darker than the control – I’ve heard it all depends on the stick’s dye concentration.

I never in a million, zillion years expected triplets.

But, hey! Every pregnancy is different for everybody!

• Suz

March 13, 2012 at 1:22 pm

My holy sore boobs one week after the IUI, VERY positive POAS test at exactly 2 weeks after IUI, high beta numbers & crazy round liagment pain soon after were my strong indications it was multiples. But still we were kinda shocked to see three heart beats at the first six week ultrasound!

Gotta love “mother’s intuition”!

• Maggie S.

March 13, 2012 at 1:00 pm

I told my friend she was having twins and she assured me she wasn’t, while filling out her husband’s Champion sweatshirt at 12 weeks. She called me first when she got out of the doctor’s office.

• Momma Maven

March 13, 2012 at 10:50 am

I had the same type of thing during pregnancy #2, in fact everyone around me kept saying it must be twins. Sickness came on INSTANTLY this time (never kicked in until about 7 weeks with the first), and lasted soooo much longer. I was absolutely exhausted, same thing with the pregnancy tests at 3 weeks 1 day it was super obvious. The movement came on very fast, and by the time I could actually eat food and enjoy it the cravings were completely opposite of pregnancy #1. So much to my surprise it was only one wee babe in there and so of course I thought well this one MUST be a girl since everything is so different…. aaaannnnnd surprise #2, another boy. I give up trying to predict anything for our future babes ha!

• Caitlin MidAtlantic

March 13, 2012 at 8:17 am

I had a lot of the “symptoms” you list with this pregnancy, but not to the extreme. It was just enough different that I KNEW this one was a boy. I just knew it. I felt so much worse, was so extra emotional, had so many random preggo side effects. It just had to be a boy, right?

• Melissa at Tall Blonde

March 13, 2012 at 7:28 am

New follower 🙂

So interesting! We have twins on both sides of our families. My sister is done, but my youngest sister (and I – I think) are not. We keep thinking it’s inevitable that one of us will end up with a set of twins.

You just never know.

So very exciting!

• Amanda @ The Eco-Friendly Family

March 13, 2012 at 7:18 am

It’s amazing how sometimes we just know these things. Congratulations again!

March 13, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Thanks lady! And it was lovely to finally meet up with you at Blissdom.