I adore this hearty, southwestern, slow cooked soup. Quick, easy on the budget, and so simple to make. Toss it all into the crockpot at nap time and it’ll be ready that evening. One of our family favorites, and we freeze half for another night.
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 3 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 cloves of garlic, pressed or minced
- 3/4 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 can corn kernels, drained
- 2 cans black beans, drained
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup salsa
- Corn tortilla chips (optional)
- Colby or Monterey Jack Cheese (optional)
Place chicken breasts on bottom of crockpot. Add chicken broth, garlic, chili powder, cumin, lemon juice, corn, beans, onion, and salsa.
Cook on medium for 4-6 hours. When done, shred chicken breasts and return to slowcooker to heat. Salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with cheese and chips if desired.