How We Chose the Boys Names

August 20, 2012

I adore the boys names. Love them. And someone a while back asked on Twitter how we chose them. I’ve been meaning to write this but never got the chance, so here it is:

Julian Toby Stone

Baby A – “GO”

One night Sam and I were discussing names – after we knew we were having two. I kinda picked Bella’s out – even though he loved it – so I told him he should have full say in one of the (4) of the boys. He said he’d always loved the name Julian.

Later I found out Julian is also someone on Star Trek. lol

Anyway, Trekkie aside – I liked the name too. We knew immediately it would be Baby A’s – he was the one closest to the, um, exit hole? 🙂 (Sorry, I just couldn’t write the actual word on here.)

His middle name is very special. When I was a nanny in Southern California, I watched a 4 year old boy who became my little buddy. At 50+ hours a week with him and his siblings he became a part of my heart forever. It was so hard to leave him and move to Colorado over a year later. His name was Toby.

Preston William Stone

Baby B – “BO”

Bella was going to be named Preston if she had been a boy. I have no idea where we came up with the name, but Sam and I both really liked it from the beginning. We saved it for if/when we had a boy next.

William is my dad’s and both my grandfather’s name. We thought about using “Sam” but Sam wasn’t too keen on that. We loved how both names sounded together and that it honored 3 people we care about.

And that’s how Preston and Julian came about.

No, we don’t have any names in mind for our new little one from Korea yet! Soon.
———-

I was interviewed for Mommy Page today – check out what they wanted to know about me!

• Kim

August 24, 2012 at 6:27 pm

I love the names you two chose. Beautiful.

• Katie McAleece

August 21, 2012 at 5:02 am

Beautiful names! (:

• Calley @TheEcoChic

August 20, 2012 at 8:18 pm

My sons middle name is William and was named after my dad, my husbands grandpa, and grandma (Willie). It was a no brainer for us. I love your stories of the boys!

• Alexia @ Babies & Bacon

August 20, 2012 at 8:08 pm

So sweet! I love to hear about where baby names come from too. Thanks for sharing!

• Joy@BundlesOfJoy

August 20, 2012 at 7:55 pm

I love hearing about how people got their names!

I remember growing up and asking why I was named “Joy”, and was always happy to hear the answer. I was adopted, and “Joy” was what my parents felt when I finally came into their lives.

For that reason, I wanted names with meaning for my children, as well. I look forward to introducing my girls to the wonderful women they were named after. And I enjoy the happiness from other family members, that dearly miss my daughters’ namesakes, when they get to use those names today.

• Katie

August 20, 2012 at 6:18 pm

I love names with a story. Both of my boys’ names were chosen for people we love too.

• Kendra

August 20, 2012 at 3:40 pm

I also immediately thought of PB&J like someone else commented! Love the names and how they came to be. 🙂

• Elise

August 20, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I especially love the name Julian. Unfortunately it’s a name that has personal associations for my dh and me, so it never got beyond the casual brainstorming phase in the naming process.

With our girls, my goal was to find names that were unique but meaningful. Tried to make it so that they might only meet someone with the same name as them a handful of times in their whole lives. My firstborn’s name was a boy’s name, but it didn’t sound especially masculine to me or have a very masculine meaning. I found a pretty, feminine spelling I liked and fell in love with it. I had NEVER heard of another girl with her name. It subsequently became pretty much THE trendiest androgynous girls’ name since “Ashley.” :-/

With our son, we couldn’t think of a unique boys’ name that felt right to us. His name’s among the top 15 names for that year, I think.

Ah, well. 🙂

• Ashley

August 20, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Their names are so perfect and wonderful.

• Jennifer @ Also Known As the Wife

August 20, 2012 at 10:56 am

I love their names and the meaning behind them. I doubt you planned it this way but when you shared their names for the first time I immediately thought PB&J (Preston, Bella, & Julian) and that’s how I always think of them now.

• Jessi J.

August 20, 2012 at 10:50 am

Preston was a name on Grey’s Anatomy that I loved and Julian was a name on One Tree Hill that I loved (can you tell I’m a tv junkie yet? lol). So I really love both of their names!

• Noelle

August 20, 2012 at 10:47 am

Beautiful. I love that both of their names meant so much.

• Jac Ernst

August 20, 2012 at 10:30 am

Love the names! I love using family names for boys especially – such a great heritage for your boys. And I LOVE that you attached a special memory to your little one.

blessings hun!