Today is a Mess.

August 29, 2012

Today I am overwhelmed.

I have so much to do, so very much, and I just can’t seem to find the right amount of time to get any of it done. Even poorly. These days don’t happen often since I’ve gotten into a pretty good routine working from home, but when they do? OH MY.

Bella has been a mess all day. Starting this morning, first thing. I was up with both Charlie (potty time) and her (where is that darn water bottle) last night, Sam woke me up at 5:30 to say bye, Bella was up by 7, then the dog crapped on the floor because it took too long to put my contacts in.

Then I realized we have no milk, so breakfast was makeshift. Shower, Skype with Rebecca because I haven’t seen her since BlogHer and miss her face. Bella decided to freak out the entire time about Charlie jumping and nipping (did you know tiny dog nips can cause entire limbs to be ripped off? No? NEITHER DID I.)

I finally put her to bed where she screamed at the top of her lungs till she fell asleep. Then I realized we had a vet appt at 11, but I was supposed to do a call with ABC News right then (more on that later) so I canceled the vet when I realized Bella wasn’t going to wake up anytime soon.

She woke up, having peed the bed and still cranky with a slight fever, making me feel terrible for being impatient with her since she is obviously coming down with something. Then the conference call came, and to make everyone quiet I put on Curious George while the woman asked how I was doing. I looked at my mess of a house, the dog jumping on a sobbing Bella, my dirty dishes and said,

“I’m really good – how are you?” And inside I laughed at the absurdity of it all.

I got off the phone and sat down to try to write and realized it was time for lunch. With no food. And the dog peed on the floor.

So I assessed the situation. I also remembered to take my Zoloft but I mainly just assessed. 😉

And instead of being a cranky, overwhelmed mom that ends up doing not much at all, I changed my perspective on importance for today. I ordered pizza for lunch, texted our sitter to see if she could come in from 2-4 so I could grocery shop and write, and the snuggled up on the couch with Bella while eating and watching Jon and Kate Plus 8.

Then Bella did rice scooping (she just scoops it from one bowl to the next – like 45 minutes of fun) and, after she threw it on the floor, I put her down for what is hopefully another nap – short as it may be.

So I sit here now with heartburn from the pizza, a dog on my lap that needs to go outside, a child who I can hear is clearly not sleeping in her room, and a sitter who will be here in 20 minutes while my shopping list sits sadly on the coffee table with 5 items. We have a puppy training class tonight and dinner has to be made sometime in there.

But just writing it out on here makes me feel better. Today was a mess. That’s ok. Tomorrow might be better.

And if it’s not, that’s ok too. Eventually it will be. 🙂

Right?

• Arnebya

August 30, 2012 at 9:33 am

Right. Eventually it will be. Just keep taking it day by day (I AM A GENIUS!). I do hope it gets better soon, though, and stays that way long enough for you to actually notice it.

• Michele Albert

August 30, 2012 at 8:46 am

So sorry it was a tough morning for you! Sounds like you handled it well. I hope today goes much more smoothly.

• Jess B

August 29, 2012 at 8:50 pm

I totally get you – I’m a SAHM with 3 under 5 (well under!) and some days (today!) are a complete write off. Today I’ve yelled at my kids and served them jelly instead of fruit with their sandwiches for lunch. Awesome. A 40 minute power nap with my oldest boy helped, but I’m still gonna ask my husband to come home from work early! I’m so thankful that every day is a new day, with new Grace for my sometimes weary soul.

• christine

August 29, 2012 at 8:04 pm

today I ran away from home….. it was so needed. I know you cant do that with a little one. I feel your pain.

• Kelli G

August 29, 2012 at 6:36 pm

My Paxil keeps me from completely losing it on days like that … well, it usually does 😉 Great job for making it through mama ::fistbump::

• Kami

August 29, 2012 at 5:46 pm

It was a messy day here too! Lincoln ended up in time out twice….at Target. Oh no, I’m not kidding, at Target. You should have seen the looks people were giving me, but whatever.

I hope tomorrow is a better day! And I hope you have fun at puppy training class! We did that last year with our pup, and it was fun 🙂

August 29, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Oh Diana, I wish we were closer you make me laugh so hard, I could have written this post (though it wouldn’t have sounded neer as good) every day. I don’t have even close to as much going on as you but my life always seems to be a mess, a lovely mess that ( most of the time) I wouldn’t trade. Anyway story short…. I feel your pain and I <3 you!

• Diane

August 29, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Sometimes it’s just a perfect storm of crazy, cranky, and crappy! Hope every day starts better than this one!

• Laura

August 29, 2012 at 3:57 pm

With two under two, I have those sort of days all. the. time. And I wish I was as good at refocusing as you are! Great inspiration. I usually end up being that mom that ends up not doing much at all on a day like that. Whew. Today was one of those days where it had the potential to go that way in a hurry (during that meeting I was talking about when we left the park yesterday) but then Dade was a perfect little gentleman for the entire hour and 45 min meeting that spilled over into nap time and Elloree slept in my arms (which she hasn’t done in months!) and I was able to get home and get them to bed and just sigh and be like “wow, that just happened! I am so proud!” I wish I could better remember the pride I have in my kids on a day like today when I am having one of those crazy days. Cause being that cranky mom always makes me feel so awful later. And I totally second the amazon review reading. Always a good laugh! It’s a quick de-stress tool. 🙂

• Christine

August 29, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Oh, I’ve had plenty of days like that. The good news is that these moments pass and we can just shake our heads at them later.

• Lauren

August 29, 2012 at 2:40 pm

We read reviews on Amazon.com here at work for a laugh. Here are the reviews that customers wrote for a Bic Pen. They’re hilariously creative and prove that people have too much time on their hands.

• Caitlin MidAtlantic

August 29, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Great perspective. Tomorrow will be better! But for all the craziness, today wasn’t really so bad? Hard, but not the worst? The puppy will get trained, Bella will get used to the puppy, everyone will be fed… all in all, you’re doing alright!

• Skye

August 29, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Yes, it will be better! Great perspective. I’m totally guilty of “my day is going badly so I’m going to be grumpy and whiny and not get anything done.” And I’m not very productive to begin with, so it’s never good.

• Tracy @ The UnCoordinated Mommy

August 29, 2012 at 2:11 pm

I’m telling you, those days will jump up and bite you. I am listening to Noah scream through the monitor as I write this. Guess I should probably go get him…..

• Tonya

August 29, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Ha – I love it. My days are often messes. I’m going to remember your “stop and assess” move. Sometimes that’s really what I should do because powering through on those Mess days… isn’t productive at all 🙂

• Katie

August 29, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Oh my heck thank you for writing your email. Today has been one I’d the worst days of my life. So grateful to know I am not alone! Thank you for being so honest…

• Jenny

August 29, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Oh how I so know those days. We’ve all been there. Working moms, WAHMs, SAHMs, all of us deal with something like that at one point or another, some more often than others. And the key is to be ok with it, sounds like you’ve got that down 😉

• Tanya

August 29, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Woo hoo….good for you! You are learning what’s truly important, plus I think God has you in training for how it will be with a houseful of kids. Hopefully Charlie will be potty trained and not nipping by then! 😀