Bella’s Creepy Lovey.

September 30, 2012

When I was pregnant with Bella, I bought her so many little things that I hoped and dreamed might one day be her lovey. Her little blanket. The stuffed frog that ribbited. Kitties. Soft rattles. Knitted little things.

All precious. All soft. All made for her to delight in, for the rapture to be unending as she found a “best friend” in it’s satiny goodness with pink and bows. They would be together forever. It would be adorable. A treasure.

Then Papi/Yellow Kitty entered the picture.

Originally a Wubbanub pacifier, it became a fixture in our home around 6 weeks after she was born. I realized the only way to get her to sleep and soothe was for her to suck on my finger. Or boob. So throwing all those, “OMG she’ll never breastfeed if you give her one” statements to the wind, I started using pacifiers. We breastfed till she was 15 months despite that.

As she got older, we began the Great Paci Hunt at bedtime. This consisted of Bella bawling in her room about “Papi”, us turning our house upside down looking for it, while I said bad words and swore that as soon as I could, that paci was going in the trash.

2 1/2 years later, I got my wish. Kinda. Bella brought me her paci before nap one day, and told me it was “blah.” Only it wasn’t blah. It was all cracked and broken. We’d bought several over the years, but I didn’t have any extra this time.

So I took a chance, showed her she couldn’t have it anymore, and then had a GENIUS idea.

I’d cut the paci out – and we’d just have the kitty! A cute little stuffed kitty. Problem solved.

Indeed. Problem solved. Creepiness factor up by 300 points.

So that’s the paci that is glued/sewn in. It can’t be taken out without mauling the face, and quite honestly that might be even creepier. Not to mention more traumatic for Bella who now has every feature of Yellow Kitty memorized. From yellow stripes to green evil smile.

Like when it was a paci, it comes with us everywhere. Target. Play therapy. Starbucks. Outside. Playdates. Car rides. Our play therapist said this was completely age appropriate, that was Bella’s safety item, and encouraged us to continue to let her have it as long as she wanted.

Which is fine. She adored it more than the paci part, if that’s possible.

Only at night, as she gets ready for bed, we tend to hear, “Uh oh, UH OH WHERE YELLOW KITTY GO?!” I’m not going to say that there aren’t some bad words said under my breath as we once again turn the house upside down looking for a creepy yellow kitty.

Why must she love something that ugly?

Oh. Um. So – this is my old lovey. D-duck. He’s actually a chicken. I’ve had him for 29 years.

Huh.

Disregard how creepy yellow kitty is. I could have probably picked something cuter too.

Ways that a SAHM can earn income.

• Sneak Peek

December 20, 2013 at 6:17 pm

[…] wait to see the final product. When the catalog comes out, you may see Bella’s precious lovey Yellow Kitty in the spotlight, among other loved animals of hers. And maybe Charlie […]

• Tracy @ The UnCoordinated Mommy

October 1, 2012 at 10:05 pm

That is hysterical!! D-duck definitely wins the creepy contest. We have binky bear. Unfortunately Noah didn’t like wubbanubs so I took this little teddy bear and sewed one of his favorite pacifiers to its hands. Great idea in theory, unfortunately I’m afraid it’s not going to make it through the wash too many more times so he has now been dubbed stinky binky, don’t know what we are going to do when he falls apart….

• Suz

October 1, 2012 at 9:21 am

Ha! D Duck is awesome. I have Big Brown Bear {yep, I wasn’t even as creative as you were!} still 30 years later. Zach has that same yellow kitty, yet we call it Tiger. We bought a back up monkey wubba for him & so far, he’ll take either. Love those wubbas!

• Lacey

October 1, 2012 at 9:12 am

Ha! I love it! We have a couple of those wubbanub and one has been cut off, and yes, it’s creepy. Just creepy.

• Madonna

October 1, 2012 at 6:01 am

This post made me laugh and I must say, I think your lovey creeps me out more than her lovey. I think it’s the blank eyes.

• Tanya

September 30, 2012 at 7:51 pm

You are so funny. 🙂 None of my boys ever had lovies that stuck. Once in awhile they’d become attached to something for a few days, and then it would wear out. I, however, would still have my old teddy if not for a fire we had. 🙁

• Becki

September 30, 2012 at 7:40 pm

LOL! This really did make me laugh out loud. SO funny! We have some of the same experiences. My three year old has two blankets which somehow have the name “Bubble.” She wants it any time she is upset, and then at night, they are usually lost. My younger daughter is one. I got her attached to a little frog with a blanky on it. She loves it, but now I’ve noticed that she learned a new word- “Bubble.” Oh my!

• Amanda

September 30, 2012 at 7:36 pm

This is hysterical ! Thanks for the laugh!

• Gretchen

September 30, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Ha, ha!! My oldest still has her bunny to sleep with (she’s 11!) and my youngest must always have a blankie (she’s 4!). Owell, they enjoy their lovies!

• elizabeth

September 30, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Too funny. With all of the love those lovies have seen they are about ready to come to life!

• Jennifer @ Also Known As the Wife

September 30, 2012 at 10:51 am

Haha! D-Duck is completely creepy…but I’m glad to see I’m not the only who still has their childhood lovey readily available. 🙂

Yellow Kitty isn’t too creepy but I certainly wouldn’t want to wake up next to him/her. Sophia has a pink plush bunny that my former boss gave to us. I’ve already had to buy a new one because I lost the original one. Now that she’s older and actually *needs* the bunny for nap time, I’m considering getting a LoJack installed on Bunny.