Our Preschool Homeschooling Routine

September 24, 2012

I think the  hardest part about homeschooling has been deciding on a routine for us. It wasn’t so much making the time as, well, what to do with it? It can be really awkward to suddenly be facing your child who’s been told you’re “doing preschool today!” – only to realize you have no idea how to fill that time.

After 2 weeks of doing this, I’ve come to some conclusions for the time being:

• I like routine
  • Bella has a 45 minute – 1 hour attention span
  • Preschool is 2-3 times a week
  • Things change

I remember teaching preschool and kindergarten, the first thing I established was a routine with the kids. Now, of course things changed but the whole of our day stayed the same the majority of the time. The big things. This was crucial to their comfort level and my sanity. We all knew what was coming next (lunch, art, recess). And in the hour (ish) I do preschool with Bella, I want that to be something she has a routine for.

Here’s our day in a nutshell:

Preschool Homeschooling Routine - ideas, explanations, and thoughts on making the most of the time with your child

We have preschool 2-3 times a week. I chose this because if we sent Bella somewhere, I’d only send her that often right now. Also because I don’t think she needs more structured learning than that, and it would be really hard to do any more without taking away from things that need to get done (errands, playdates, etc).

Preschool happens in the afternoon because it works much better with our busy morning schedule. After snack, Bella and I curl up on the couch with the book I’ve chosen for the week. Yep, week. With only 3 days of preschool, this allows us to really explore and get to know the book we’re reading. It also makes creating a theme for that week a lot easier. Last week we read The Runaway Bunny. Hence the craft time was gluing a bunny together that I’d cut out, and lacing up a cloth carrot we stuffed and added leaves to.

Music can then be learning a song about rabbits/hopping like one, snack can be carrots, etc. The ideas are endless but it really does make it so much easier to only have one theme/book a week. Now – at night or during the day I’ll have other books that we get from the library that are rabbit themed, but the one we stick to for preschool stays the same.

I’m looking for a great preschool Bible or Bible curriculum. The problem I’m finding is it’s either too short/simple as a Bible, or all encompassing as a curriculum. Which we already have with Before Five in a Row. I just want a Bible story that has an explanation for parents and maybe a simple craft.

We end our time outside, this doesn’t have a time because we often stay out for an hour or more playing and talking, using the craft if we can.

These are all suggestions simply meant to give you ideas or a start to your own routine. The lovely part of homeschooling is you can make it work for you. Your strengths, your schedule. You can switch it around, try something different, it’s yours to manage.

I’d love to hear any questions/suggestions that you might have!

—————-

Past Homeschool posts:

• Rachel

September 25, 2012 at 8:27 pm

So glad I came across your blog! I want to homeschool and I think starting with preschool is a great idea. Would you post your curriculum? Excited to follow along! Thx!

• jenn

September 25, 2012 at 12:22 pm

“The lovely part of homeschooling is you can make it work for you. Your strengths, your schedule. You can switch it around, try something different, it’s yours to manage.” YES!

As far as a Bible curriculum, have you looked at We Choose Virtues?
    It’s precious – and Heather is a dear to work with.

September 25, 2012 at 7:51 pm

I googled it and really like their stuff! I’m going to check it out more and see if I can find what I’m looking for – thank you!!

• Chantal

September 24, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Awesome! These posts make me so excited to start homeschooling.

September 25, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Yay! This is what I was hoping from writing these. SO excited for you.

• Callee S.

September 24, 2012 at 11:45 am

i love the Jesus Storybook Bible…I hear it has a curriculum too, but we just have the Bible and the audio Bible…I love it because at the end of every story the author always shows how it points to Jesus which is great! I love it!

September 25, 2012 at 7:53 pm

I’m loving reading about it on Amazon, now I’ll have to see if maybe we should get the audio one?

1. Callee S.

September 25, 2012 at 8:47 pm

The print one that I got actually came with the audio. Best part, I got it on sale and only paid like $8-$10 for it! 😀 Love sales 😀

• Sarah

September 24, 2012 at 10:39 am

http://lbbl.homestead.com/index.html I found this. I don’t know if it’s too short or not what you’re looking for…

• Laura

September 24, 2012 at 9:55 am

At Dade’s baby dedication, our church gave us a copy of the Jesus Storybook Bible. At the time I was kind of like oh…. A watered down kid bible. Yayyyy – not. And then it sat on the shelf for a long time because, really, he was too young to really pay attention to the length of the stories in there…. But… We pulled it out when he was about 18 months old and it has been fabulous. The illustrations are fun and artsy and the length of most stories is perfect for his attention span now, and I love how they make a point to show how each story from the old testament points toward Jesus’s coming. It is excellently age appropriate and I definitely recommend it!

1. Ashley

September 24, 2012 at 11:07 am

I would second the Jesus Storybook Bible. My son is 2 and we’ve been reading it with him for over a year. Very age appropriate, but also truth from scripture that is not watered down!

• Lina

September 24, 2012 at 6:27 am

You are one of the best moms there can ever exist! I’m so proud of you, and so happy for Bella! God bless you always! Xoxox