What’s Going on With Our Adoption

September 18, 2012

I haven’t blogged much on our adoption here because frankly – if I did I’d have nothing left to put at Babble. That money is helping to pay for it, so it’s pretty crucial I have things to write on. Plus I love it. During an adoption, there tends to be long periods of nothing, so news I get is saved for a post to write there.

But tonight, I wanted to let my thoughts out on here instead. For those of you who don’t read my Babble posts (sobs), we have a waiting child that we expressed interest in. A little boy, 9 months old. He has medical conditions that put him in the waiting child category. I wrote earlier today about how I spoke with the international adoption pediatrics doctor in Houston this morning. She’d been going over our waiting child’s photos and medical information for the past few days and talked to me for about an hour on it all.

When Sam came home this evening, I relayed as much as I could through my notes and memory. Our agency had written us quickly back with some new information, but nothing that drastically changed what we know.

I wish I could tell you all more. Share his pictures, name, about him. But for now, just know that we are really trying to make the best decision for his future. Will he be better off with us for the rest of his life and why?

I struggle with all the questions I’m sure most of us go through when adopting. All the emotions that hit me as I try to be logical and realize this is forever.

I look at his little face and my heart aches. We pray every single night for him. Sam and I kneel beside Bella’s bed and we pray for his health, his foster family, that we would make a wise decision, and for him to be kept safe.

I struggle with how much this will change our family. I feel like I did when it really sank in we were having twins, only this time it’s a bit different because it’s a choice. It’s not so much his medical needs that concern me, but the unknown and the what if’s and the HUGE decision we have to make for ourselves and him.

I am praying hard. So hard. I prayed tonight that if God thinks we aren’t the right family for him, He will shut doors hard and fast on us. Sam said today as we talked, “Everything has opened up so far, let’s keep going.”

So that’s what we’ll do. We’ll keep moving forward until God stops us.

What a ride this all is.

—————

Here’s what’s been on Babble this past week:

And today on Military Family:

• Carrie

September 18, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Oh boy, I can’t even *imagine* the roller coaster you must be on right now. Thanks for sharing and keeping us posted, I’ll be thinking about you guys and keep this special little boy in our thoughts!

• Brooke

September 18, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Sending loads of love to your sweet boy. Whether he comes to be a part of your home forever or not, he will always be a part if your hearts and for that you are all so blessed. But I really really pray you will be holding in your arms soon!!

• Tracy

September 18, 2012 at 9:34 am

I can not say that I understand first hand but I wanted to let you know that my Husbands Brother and his Wife adopted a beautiful little girl Analise from Ethiopia just over 2 years ago. The pictures they sent them prior to were so sad to see her lying in a crib, no one to hold her or to love her. Now you should see her, vibrant and so very smart. Her life is the complete opposite of what it would have been otherwise.

They do have 2 older children of their own but felt they wanted to adopt again and this time from China. Both processes took a long time and they also had a hard time with the waiting periods. My new niece is Grace-Anna and she is about to come home, they are in China now and they leave tomorrow to bring her home. It is an amazing thing they are doing, and what you are doing. Grace-Anna was born completely blind and has been in an orphanage since birth. She is now 2 years old and while they know she will probably never see anything we all know that her life is about to become something she could have never dreamed of.

Keep going with the process for as long as you can and fingers crossed that you have your new little boy in your arms soon. I admire you for deciding to adopt and I know that regardless of his medical conditions he will be so very blessed to have a loving family that wants him so very much and will give him the best life possible!

• Amber

September 18, 2012 at 9:23 am

Love your heart. Thanks for sharing it. And you’re right… all you can do is keep on moving forward, He’ll take care of the rest.

• Jenna

September 18, 2012 at 9:14 am

Thinking of you and yours.

September 18, 2012 at 8:53 am

Good things are on the way, I can feel it. My fingers and toes are crossed for you and your future adoption!!

Jen 🙂

• Sue Diamond-Phillips

September 18, 2012 at 7:08 am

Aww! My heart hurts for you – praying things to move quickly for you.