Ask Me {Almost} Anything

October 9, 2012

I’ve been meaning to do this post for a while. When blogging, you get a lot of my life but of course, not all of it. And now with writing several different places, it’s sometimes spread thin around here.

So I’m going to open up to anything you all want clarified, or for me to tell you about that I might have mentioned but never elaborated, or that you just are curious about. I realize my life isn’t SO fascinating that it needs this post, but I also know that no matter who I read, I always have a question I want to ask and never feel like it’s the right timing.

So other than things like sex (and anything mean), you all are free to ask away. I’ll answer later this week – maybe do a vlog. Maybe Bella and I will do a vlog.

SHUT UP WITH THE CUTE. I may do that.

And please do ask. Please don’t make me feel like the dork in middle school with highwater pants and chunky glasses that no one wants to talk to.

Oh wait. That was me. :p

Well, don’t make me relive that anyway.

———————

8 Things Every Military Spouse Should Know

• Christie

October 28, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I didn’t read through all the other comments, so hopefully this one isn’t a repeat. I would like to know about your writing process for posts on this blog and babble. I’m sure you don’t have a lot of time, so I wonder – do you find 30 mins and bang out a post and throw it up, or do you spend time writing, rewrite, review, edit and then post?

Have you ever re-read posts and thought, “ohhhh, I should have written that differently…” or “Duh, I totally forgot to add such and such?”

More questions – How do your family (mother, siblings, distant cousins) feel about your blog and the things you share? Have you ever written anything that included them and were they upset? Do they ever approach you to say that they think that you’re sharing things that are too personal?

• Lauren

October 11, 2012 at 3:20 pm

This is going to sound random but I was actually wondering if it is still possible to get the password for your protected posts? I am newly pregnant for a second time (the first ended in miscarriage and related cancer). I just found your blog though and am going through all of your archives. If not, I totally understand.

• AlliD

October 11, 2012 at 9:30 am

Hey there! This is a question I have been wondering for a while now. I know that you tend to steer towards a more natural way of parenting and I do the same. What is your stance on vaccines?? Is this too personal? I know that is a highly controversial topic so I will respect you if you don’t want to give out your views on here. We made the decision 4 years ago (after doing a LOT of research) to not vaccinate our son. We have never regretted our decision and he is a very healthy, happy little boy. Just curious as to your view!

• Brenda WHite

October 11, 2012 at 7:15 am

Hi there! What a great idea. I recently came upon your blog (have no idea how! probably from a blog roll on another blog:)) and was just captivated and spent hours reading your story of your boys, your life that you have shared etc. I find such encouragement in your honesty of your struggles and in your desire to not give up and follow the Lord no matter what! I hope this question doesn’t seem insensitive, but coming from one who understands all about AA, Alanon, the cycle, the struggle etc; can you share some more about this part of your story. Is this something you still struggle with with your husband? In terms of anger or regret about the lost years or not being able to trust? Are you afraid of him relapsing? Have you come to terms with not drinking? Do you guys pray together and talk openly about this? Again, if this is too personal, please ignore- bc I know it is a deep and very wounded area of life that all this can produce. I pray for you both! I guess mostly, do you live in fear or have fear of him relapsing? Does it consume any of your thoughts or are you at peace trusting the Lord and knowing there is nothing ultimately that you can do except lay it at His feet and go one day at a time?

• Michele Albert

October 11, 2012 at 5:47 am

I don’t have anything that I want you to write about, I just wanted to thank you for sharing your story of adoption. My husband and I tried for seven years to have a child and were unsuccessful, we were given the opportunity to adopt but the day of the birth the mother decided to keep the child. It was heartbreaking for me and I have never had the courage to try again. The good news – the mother who kept her little boy is an AWESOME mom, it was totally the right decision for her.

• sarah

October 10, 2012 at 8:39 pm

First and foremost, this post is yet another reason that I appreciate you: your openness, humility, honesty. I derive a lot of inspiration from you and what you share – so thank you!

1. What advice would you give to someone whose marriage/relationship just cannot work, due largely to alcoholism? I am in awe and admiration that you and Sam could make things work and no longer use alcohol, but for some people, it just can’t work. This can be a heartbreaking realisation, and I wonder if you can offer any advice, comfort, guidance?

2. What do you do for fun, by yourself? I know your family brings you lots of joy but I’m interested to hear what makes you, you – on your own!

3. What types of books, music, food, etc, do you like?

4. As part of personal healing I have begun reading Scripture daily and I am feeling like it’s really working in me. . . . What experiences have you had with that, or what role does this form of prayer hold in your life?

These are such scattery questions that even if you don’t answer, I will still be happy to see what you do share!
    Best to you – s

• Katie

October 10, 2012 at 6:19 pm

I want to know when I will get to hug you all awkward-like. <–Sluiter is a creeper.

• Kiki

October 10, 2012 at 5:57 pm

I would like to know more about your faith. Do you belong to a church? What denomination is it? Do you attend regularly? Do you put Bella in a children’s program/Sunday school? Do you belong to a women’s group? Does Sam belong to a men’s group? You have a deep rooted faith and I admire it. You really shine God’s light in your writing. Thank you for sharing with us!

• Amy

October 10, 2012 at 5:30 pm

My question goes along with someone else’s about you getting pregnant again. So here it is: If you could have 100% assurance that the next time you got pregnant it would be twins, would you want to get pregnant? If yes, would you want twin boys again?

I added your link to my blog. 🙂

• Allison

October 10, 2012 at 5:13 pm

…c

1. Allison

October 10, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Argh! …concerns. (Not sure why it’s submitting before I click “submit”)

• Allison

October 10, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Is there a chance that Sam will be deployed in the neat future? How will you deal with that, particularly if you are in the middle of adopting? What about your work fr

1. Allison

October 10, 2012 at 5:13 pm

(Sorry about that) what about your work from home – does Sam help with Bella while you work? Do you depend on that? If he is deployed, would you get some notice and be able to adjust your schedule/get additional child care help or would you have to plan on the fly? Random questions, I know, but I’m curious because I deal with somewhat similar c

• NJ @ A Cookie Before Dinner

October 10, 2012 at 4:31 pm

What other blogs do you read? Are you friends with a lot of other bloggers outside of the space of the internet? How do you befriend them with out feeling like a creep? I ask because I feel like you and I could totally be friends…

• Ashley

October 10, 2012 at 11:18 am

I can see so much of myself and the relationship between my husband and I in you and Sam. My husband is also an alcoholic who refuses to admit he has a problem. We’ve separated 5 times over it. I can also relate to you on the level of losing a child. I lost my 5 year old son tragically in November of 2009.

So, my question(s) – do you have any advice for me as far as my marriage goes. What helped you and Sam the most when you were going through his addiction? And as far as the loss of your sweet boys, is there anything you wish you can change as far as after they passed away? I regret not holding Erik one last time and I also regret not being the one to give him his last bath.

• Julie B

October 10, 2012 at 6:22 am

Do you to like to cook for bake? I love to bake, but am not the greatest cook. What is your favorite thing to eat? Just wondering:)

1. Julie B

October 10, 2012 at 6:23 am

sorry, cook or bake?

• sue diamond-phillips

October 10, 2012 at 5:45 am

My question is super important. It is. You are very high on the list of reasons i got bangs. Yes. So now i need to know what product you use. 😀 But i really did get bangs. Do your bangs ALWAYS LOOK GOOD? I have a bit of the Dentist Elf look going on today….and it’s rainy, so basically i’m screwed.

• MommaBird

October 9, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Hi Diana,

I’m interested to know how you keep sane day in and day out with a little one. I’m talking about the day to day stuff like cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc all the things that we all must do each day. Other than blogging and other social media, which is a great outlet, but I’m thinking more along the lines of adult conversation with other people and have those relationships. Do you ever miss teaching or being a work outside of the home mom?

P.S. I love that you are doing a montessori style preschool with Bella, as I am a montessori mom as well. Though he goes to a montessori school but we try to incorporate some of those things at home as well.

• SarahB

October 9, 2012 at 7:00 pm

This is an important part of judging someones character… What is THE BEST Ben&Jerry’s ice cream flavor?

1. Rebecca

October 10, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Hee hee, love this question.

I wouldn’t be able to answer it because I’m too cheap to buy those small cartons at such a high price. Oh, and the lactose intolerance issue. (A blessing in disguise, actually, since the condition may have helped with my getting in better shape this year!)

• Nikki

October 9, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Hi Diana!

I hope these aren’t too personal, but please don’t feel obligated to answer if they are. I mean NO harm – I read you all the time & love your writing & courage & beauty & honesty! <3

I think – and correct me if I'm wrong – you quit drinking for and with Sam, not necessarily because you had any issues with it. Do you ever miss it, outside of the (understandable) times you were entrenched with grief?

How has your relationship with Bella changed since losing the boys, if it has changed at all?

Have you ever considered food photography/styling? Random, I know, but I *love* your recipes and pictures! They are all saved on. Y iPad!

I'll stop now… 🙂

1. Nikki

October 9, 2012 at 4:51 pm

*on my iPad. You know, the one that messes up my typing. Oy!

• Amber

October 9, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Due to my writerly inclinations – what made you decide to blog? I read an awful lot of blogs that belong to writers who are building a platform for their future works, and you don’t seem to be that, but you also don’t seem to be a strictly “mommy blogger”. (Neither of those are bad, and obviously, I love what you do)

Just curious what your impetus was.

• Laura

October 9, 2012 at 4:39 pm

1-Ever thought about writing a book about your life and travels to India?
    2-Ever want to go back to teaching?

• Stef

October 9, 2012 at 3:19 pm

If you could plan one vacation (taking out any concern of cost and logistics – especially with toddlers) where woudl you go? I always love to hear what other people say. : )

• Melissa

October 9, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Just because I love to hear the differences in what other families do, what are your holiday traditions (Thanksgiving, Christmas, even Easter)? And even more so, what are your favorite foods and recipes for the holidays?

• Alyssa

October 9, 2012 at 1:25 pm

I feel weird asking this because I’m usually not someone who would advocate for this (and please don’t think that I am), but I had been wondering if you and Sam have or are considering legal action against the hospital for how you were treated when you went into labor. And on a totally different topic, I would also like to know what Bella’s favorite food is 🙂

• molly

October 9, 2012 at 12:51 pm

I don’t want this to be hurtful. It’s an honest to goodness question I wonder about after all that has happened. Will you ever try to have a biological child again? Or are you still undecided?

October 9, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Not hurtful at all! I’ve had a lot of people ask me this over the past few months, so I’ll do my best to explain it. <3 Thanks for even thinking about that.

• Patricia L

October 9, 2012 at 12:37 pm

If you could write a letter to the 18 year old you what are a few things you would tell yourself 🙂 oh and how is
    Charlie’s puppy training going 😉

• Breanne

October 9, 2012 at 12:05 pm

I’d like to know about your relationship with Bella, actually. Like, what do you two do together and if you have any unique activities you do in your momma-daughter times. Maybe that’s a lame question, and maybe you’ve elaborated on such in the past, but, heck, I’m curious, and kids grow and change, so I suppose I’ll pass on being embarrassed that I don’t have some deep, insightful question to ask. 🙂

October 9, 2012 at 12:42 pm

This is a good one! It really made me think. I’m looking forward to answering it. 🙂