Home Again, Home Again

March 11, 2013

::jiggety jig::

Sam is home and what a wonderful thing it is! This weekend I was able to put my feet up and relax while he cooked, cleaned, and took care of Bella alongside me – and I felt like a million dollars by Sunday. Instead of feeling like I was hit by a bus.

It’s nice to have the adult conversation and someone there to snuggle up to at night. I won’t tell you it’s all perfect, there are the times of both of us adjusting right now. He’s lived alone for 7 weeks and I’ve been in complete control for 7 weeks so having him home and wanting to take over some is rather – testing on us both.

But we’ll fall back into a routine soon enough.

Friday after he was home I ended up in L&D with such horrible lower pelvic pain. I knew it could be the cerclage but since I’ve had similar pain with both Bella and the twins, and it wasn’t a great outcome either time, my Dr admitted me right away. I chose the same hospital as my cerclage since they were so kind to me the first time, and once again they went above and beyond for me.

Everything turned out great and I got another look at our baby – face, toes, fingers, the tech let me see it all. She even paused and printed out a few really cute pics for me.

Including a “parts” shot. πŸ™‚ We’d already known 2 weeks ago but this new tech confirmed it again.

Right now we’re working on names for this little one. I have a couple I love and Sam isn’t so sure (sigh) so we’re still thinking. Plenty of time though.

Today is my day to write – so I’m at our local Corner Bakery with tea and a bagel working here and on Babble to get some things done. If I can finish, next up are the emails in my inbox that seem to be piling up and giving me the evil eye for lack of response.

Tomorrow I believe I start progesterone shots.

O_o

Wish me and my lower end luck. I’ve heard they are awful but googling them (oh, I google it all) and seeing the success rate after preterm labor really helped me to wrap my mind around having another shot every week.

If you want weekly pics and updates on this little one and life in general, you can find me over at Babble.Β Also I’m writing at She Reads Truth for anyone who would love to join this online Bible study for women – never too late!

P.S. Any guesses on gender?!

• sarah

March 13, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Yeah, no worries on the progesterone shots. After 2 preemies I had them my next pregnancy from 18wks and went full term. I had them again with the following pregnancy, but unfortunately had other issues there. Thankfully baby is fine. So after all you’ve been through, I doubt it will bother you much.

• Melanie Young

March 13, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Just stumbled on your blog through seeing your story about the twins posted around. I wanted to tell you I had a similar story years ago and have since had six (yep, six) full-term pregnancies thanks to God, cerclages, meds and progesterone shots. πŸ™‚

The shots really aren’t all that bad and are loads better than living on terbutaline to stop pre-term labor!

May the Lord give you peace and joy even in this stressful pregnancy. It’s all worth it in the end!

• Heather L

March 12, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Just an FYI, the PIO is better injected when warm, so that it doesn’t clump up…so don’t ice the area, warm it before and after injection and then rub, rub, rub so the oil spreads. I did these shots every day for 10 weeks and had minimal side effects using this method.

• Rachelle

March 12, 2013 at 10:31 am

I had my first daughter at 34 weeks and was put on progesterone for my 2nd pregnancy and went to 37w4d! So hopefully it works for you too!

• Becca

March 11, 2013 at 10:44 pm

I think it’s 17p shots that you’ll be getting? If so, I am not gonna lie, I am a giant wuss I guess because they sucked. Mine were in castor oil so it is very thick and the injection took two minutes to get it all in (that’s 2 min with a needle in your butt) and stung like a B the whole time. That said, OF COURSE they’re nothing in the long run and 200% worth it. So excited for you & can’t wait to find out what you’re having! Prayers for you & the babe!

• Stacey

March 11, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Sit on a heating pad for 20-30 minutes before the shot and then again for another 20-30 minutes after it’s rubbed in. Trust me… so much less bruising and pooling! Good luck!

• Anne-Marie

March 11, 2013 at 7:24 pm

You could look at it as them giving you something to actually *do* to help. That always helps me feel less anxious about things.

• Kristin

March 11, 2013 at 6:27 pm

The shots are no big deal at all! The first will be scary, because duh, but you’ll see- it’s- really ok. Try icing the site for a minute beforehand, it definitely helps. And the best part is that they worked for me… My 2nd daughter was born at 39w1d. πŸ™‚

• Katy P

March 11, 2013 at 2:14 pm

I went into preterm labor with my first son at 23 weeks and was on strict bedrest until he was delivered at 39 weeks. With my second, we started progesterone shots at 17 weeks and I went full-term with no complications (no cervical shortening or funneling or contractions) which was amazing after the first pregnancy we had.

I totally freaked out about having to get the shots but after the first one – it was no big deal. The needle is teeny-tiny, they put it in your hiney (we could make a poem about this if you want) and it doesn’t hurt at all. The progesterone is in sesame oil at my doctor’s office and I never had a reaction to it, although some people do. If you do, they can order shots for you in a different oil. We rotated butt-cheeks every week and the only problem I had was not being able to sleep on the side I got the shot in for a night. I never had any bruising and when I start progesterone shots for THIS baby (in two weeks), I have no fear at all. πŸ™‚ Don’t sweat it, sister. Seriously, this is coming from somebody who has a super irrational fear of needles – it was no big deal.

If you have any questions, please, don’t hesitate to email! shopdressedtothrill at gmail dot com

• Caitlin MidAtlantic

March 11, 2013 at 2:13 pm

I’ve had a few friends go through the progesterone shots – and all of them have had healthy, full term babies!

• Sarah

March 11, 2013 at 1:58 pm

The PIO aren’t that bad. Don’t get too scared. I had 12-13 weeks/90ish of them. I alternated between my thighs and rear and used lidocaine cream. Nothing to be worried about! I was forced to do 90% of them myself (deployment) and in the end I think being in control of it made them hurt less. Good luck! I’m glad you’re catching up on everything!

• ChristyB

March 11, 2013 at 1:38 pm

I 2nd the no worries about progesterone post. I did them for 12 weeks after 3 IVF’s and while not exactly great, they aren’t bad. I used to laugh at all the places I have done them. In cars, in public restrooms, in golf course parking lots (every Tuesday since I couldn’t do them myself). I even had to train my best friend and a neighbor to do them when my husband couldn’t. The needle is a bit scary at first, but they don’t hurt. Just go slowly and apply pressure afterwards to help against forming lumps. You got this!

Hang in there and I’m glad Sam is home!

• Claudia

March 11, 2013 at 1:34 pm

I did the shots second pregnancy, but I went in to the doctor’s office weekly to do them. They really do not hurt that bad. As the previous commenter stated, just make sure to rub it.

• Kimberly

March 11, 2013 at 1:21 pm

I am guessing BOY. I am PG with my 5th. I have 4 boys and really would like another boy .. However, that said, I think I am pg with a girl. Totally different pregnancy than with the first 4!
    Hugs and Good Luck with the shots ..

• Abigail

March 11, 2013 at 1:11 pm

So glad he’s home! I can only imagine what a relief that is. I think the longest Joel has been away was like 2 weeks AND I didn’t have a little one to take care of (other than the puppy but she’s low maintenance.) In that short of time I was crawling out of my skin missing him. I cannot even fathom 7 weeks. Hope you guys find your routine again quickly.

• anonymous

March 11, 2013 at 1:04 pm

I have to tell you, PIO shots are NOTHING. Seriously, do not even freak out about them. I was on them for 8 weeks after my IVF, and after a week or so I never even felt them. Just make sure you rub the site after you inject and that you don’t inject too quickly or you’ll get some lumps on your behind that don’t feel so good! πŸ™‚ Good luck!

March 11, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Whew! Thank you! I’ve heard different things but I figure – maybe they aren’t as bad as the steroid ones? We can hope πŸ™‚