Sooooo We’re Having a Baby…
Everyone take a deep breath. NOT TODAY.
But soon, sooner than I even thought, we’re going to be having a baby and MY HEAD CAN’T WRAP AROUND THIS YET.
It full force hit me at my OB appt this week when we talked hospital/birth plans (mainly will she be there, what would constitute a csection, etc) and I told her our very minimal desires with the safety of the baby taking priority over any of my wishes. Then I said, “And if it happens earlier than 37 weeks, should I call you first or head to the hospital?” I never know people. And you all know how I am about knowing all the things.
She then asked me something that floored me. “Has the perinatologist scheduled your induction date yet?”
Sorry? Induction date?
She went on to say that because of how high risk I am, how Bella was born early, and her aged placenta at 37 weeks, there was no way the perinatologist was going to let me go past 38 weeks, but more than likely induce at 37.
Here’s the thing – if you’re reading this and your head is about to explode? I get it. I truly do. I know that induction isn’t ideal, that 37 weeks isn’t ideal, but people? This pregnancy isn’t ideal. I’m on blood thinners and all kinds of shots and pills (that have worked!). I have to move past “ideal” and work on “realistic.”
Realistically, induction is the ideal plan for me. It allows me (barring going into preterm labor) to safely stop the blood thinners and to taper down other medications before giving birth. It allows my mom to be here. For us to have a care plan for Bella. A little more time with being a family of 4 before we move across the country. I know there are other options, I plan on asking about Heparin or whatever the other blood thinner is that you can be on and reverse at labor.
Did I consider inducing before this? No. It never crossed my mind as an option. I figured that I’d just go into labor and we’d toss our cards in the air and hope it all worked out when it happened. Now I kinda get to plan for it.
I see the perinatologist on Tuesday and will know more then. She could very well say that she’ll just let me be with monitoring – I am ready for whatever. What I do know is this – with these two women, their help has changed a third pregnancy. As far as I know, my trust in them has allowed me to carry him this long with no real complications. Could I have done this with none of it? Maybe, we’ll never know. The chances were too high for me to risk it again though.
I’m 32 weeks Saturday. In 4 weeks my cerclage comes out and I stop the P17 shots. So after that? Well, I’ll know Tuesday. Believe me, this is a huge trust in God and His hands on this baby for me to not fight this or worry about all the things that could happen – but I just can’t right now. He’s kept us safe to this point, I have to trust He knows what’s best for us.
I have to focus on the outcome – in a few weeks, no matter what method, I’ll be holding this little boy that so many of us have prayed so hard for.