Sooooo We’re Having a Baby…

June 27, 2013

Not today!

Everyone take a deep breath. NOT TODAY.

😉

But soon, sooner than I even thought, we’re going to be having a baby and MY HEAD CAN’T WRAP AROUND THIS YET.

It full force hit me at my OB appt this week when we talked hospital/birth plans (mainly will she be there, what would constitute a csection, etc) and I told her our very minimal desires with the safety of the baby taking priority over any of my wishes. Then I said, “And if it happens earlier than 37 weeks, should I call you first or head to the hospital?” I never know people. And you all know how I am about knowing all the things.

She then asked me something that floored me. “Has the perinatologist scheduled your induction date yet?”

O_o

Sorry? Induction date?

She went on to say that because of how high risk I am, how Bella was born early, and her aged placenta at 37 weeks, there was no way the perinatologist was going to let me go past 38 weeks, but more than likely induce at 37.

Here’s the thing – if you’re reading this and your head is about to explode? I get it. I truly do. I know that induction isn’t ideal, that 37 weeks isn’t ideal, but people? This pregnancy isn’t ideal. I’m on blood thinners and all kinds of shots and pills (that have worked!). I have to move past “ideal” and work on “realistic.”

Realistically, induction is the ideal plan for me. It allows me (barring going into preterm labor) to safely stop the blood thinners and to taper down other medications before giving birth. It allows my mom to be here. For us to have a care plan for Bella. A little more time with being a family of 4 before we move across the country. I know there are other options, I plan on asking about Heparin or whatever the other blood thinner is that you can be on and reverse at labor.

Did I consider inducing before this? No. It never crossed my mind as an option. I figured that I’d just go into labor and we’d toss our cards in the air and hope it all worked out when it happened. Now I kinda get to plan for it.

I see the perinatologist on Tuesday and will know more then. She could very well say that she’ll just let me be with monitoring – I am ready for whatever. What I do know is this – with these two women, their help has changed a third pregnancy. As far as I know, my trust in them has allowed me to carry him this long with no real complications. Could I have done this with none of it? Maybe, we’ll never know. The chances were too high for me to risk it again though.

I’m 32 weeks Saturday. In 4 weeks my cerclage comes out and I stop the P17 shots. So after that? Well, I’ll know Tuesday. Believe me, this is a huge trust in God and His hands on this baby for me to not fight this or worry about all the things that could happen – but I just can’t right now. He’s kept us safe to this point, I have to trust He knows what’s best for us.

I have to focus on the outcome – in a few weeks, no matter what method, I’ll be holding this little boy that so many of us have prayed so hard for.

• Hormonal Imbalances™ These Next Weeks in the Known Unknown » Hormonal Imbalances™

July 2, 2013 at 9:19 pm

[…] 37 weeks or after the cerclage is out (at 37) I’ll be induced at 38. I’ve already talked about the reasons why so I won’t rehash, but risk wise they work for me and they’re the best for the […]

• Faith

June 27, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Wow. I would be both terrified and excited at the same time! My discussion of birth plans at my last appointment was more of, “whatever happens happens” and the midwife thought that was the best plan to have. I will say I’m slightly jealous that you won’t be miserable though most of August with me. 🙂 I’m so glad things have gone as well as they have for you so far and hope they continue to do so.

• Sarah Jane

June 27, 2013 at 6:05 pm

You have a FANTASTIC way of looking at it. Unfortunately, there are probably some naysayers, but it’s nobody’s business but yours and your doctors. I’ll be praying for your delivery.

• Anne-Marie

June 27, 2013 at 3:12 pm

I don’t know if I mentioned this in any of my book-length emails, but one thing I learned from my midwives is that they have to stay AHEAD of any potential blood loss issues. I asked them if I could refuse the routine shot of pitocin they give patients after the birth–was it just to speed up the delivery of the placenta? NO. Evidence-based medicine says that whether you are giving birth in a tiny village in Tanzania or a world-class Children’s hospital in Connecticut, the shot saves lives. I asked if we could wait to see. They said that waiting to see, where blood loss is concerned is VERY frightening. They have a really hard time “catching up.” That was all I needed to hear! And I was *not* at any higher risk than normal for too much blood loss. Do people go without that shot when giving birth? All the time. Did I want to? Nope. And I didn’t even feel anything except the shot itself. Anyone who says that shot makes my birth “medicalized” or “unnatural” can go throw a fit by themselves, because I trust those midwives more than anyone else on the planet when it comes to my reproductive health. That trust most definitely made for an easier, safer and by the way, AWESOME, birth.

• Laura Wilder

June 27, 2013 at 2:19 pm

You have to do what’s best for your baby & you and if that’s an induction then so be it! You’re a sweet mama & no doubt you are making informed decisions FOR your baby’s health. Prayers for healthy baby & mommy 🙂

• Tricia Aquilante-D’Antonio

June 27, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Praying for a healthy and safe delivery for u and the baby! Delivered my first child at 37 weeks and she was fine, my second at 35 weeks, he did good too, my third child was born at 32 weeks and he spent 3 weeks in NICU. He is 2.5 and doing well!

• Tricia Miller

June 27, 2013 at 7:01 pm

I know this wasn't the plan, but you have the absolute best outlook on it. If they have to put you in a bubble, feed you spaghetti for three days and have someone playing the drums constantly? Whatever, man, as long as it gets him here safely! Always praying for you, dear friend.

• Kate

June 27, 2013 at 12:59 pm

It’s true that induction isn’t ideal and sometimes sucks the big one. On the other hand my older sister was induced a week early both times (first times because of borderline GD and the second for high blood pressure) and both her labors were less than 3 hours!

Mostly it sounds like your doctors are using evidenced based care to determine the best course of action for your individual circumstances so that’s wonderful.

• Haley

June 27, 2013 at 12:53 pm

eak! my head is only exploding because omgosh! so soon! so excited for y
    ou!

• Erin Wallman

June 27, 2013 at 6:00 pm

So happy for you! Both my babies were 36 weekers naturally, it's scary whenever you're baby has to come even a little bit early but you will all be fine, at least like you said you can plan now. Just keep on having faith. <3

• Courtney

June 27, 2013 at 11:51 am

Wishing you all the best! And don’t listen to all the scary induction stories. I was induced with my 2nd and I didn’t feel a thing until 8cm. My midwife looked at the strong contractions on the monitor and asked at one point, “if this were happening at home would you have called me?” And my answer was no. It went much better than my first, which was spontaneous labor!

• Krisdee Davey

June 27, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Will pray for you, baby boy and your family. <3

• Sarah B Arsee

June 27, 2013 at 5:26 pm

So excited for you! Five weeks is going to FLY by! EEEEK!

• Jennifer @ Also Known As…the Wife

June 27, 2013 at 11:24 am

I look at it this way…God helped you find these doctors. I say follow your instincts and their advice to help you deliver a healthy baby the safest way possible.

• Kate Pantier @ Project Hermosa

June 27, 2013 at 11:20 am

Good luck! Having him here is going to be worth anything!

• Suz

June 27, 2013 at 11:19 am

Prayers! Sounds like exciting if unexpected news to me!

• Peter Ward

June 27, 2013 at 5:18 pm

She is perfect

• Alyson Ryser Ward

June 27, 2013 at 5:08 pm

After my stillbirth we had a csection at 37 weeks and our Elleigh is perfect!

• Melissa Hodges

June 27, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Whatever gets a healthy baby in your arms is FANTASTIC!!! I'm excited that they are taking such amazing care of both of you! ♥

• MMS

June 27, 2013 at 11:02 am

Praying for you. I was induced at 37 weeks with my son because of preeclampsia. He weighed 8 pounds 1 ounce even that early, and everything went very smoothly. It will be ok. It will.

• Krystle Marie

June 27, 2013 at 4:59 pm

I was induced at 37 weeks on blood thinners! Hope all turns out well for u

• molly

June 27, 2013 at 10:55 am

Praying for you. I know your doctors will lead you in the right direction.