We Hired a Doula, Hypnobirthing, and Other Things You Should Know

So yesterday, I met with one of the women who lives here and works as a doula. Crazy story – we actually met through Rebecca of Better Life Bags at Blissdom. She was there to help with her set up for selling, and a group of us all went to lunch. In introductions, I found out she lived in El Paso, but we never got back in touch after. The other night on Instagram she mentioned she would love to offer her services. I had forgotten her name, and was convinced it was someone in Dallas or Houston that happened to see the “Texas” location for me.

Nope! She was still here!

I’d given up on finding anyone about a month ago. There are a few here but with my preterm labor and all the other stuff it seemed almost impossible to work with anyone. I think one of my biggest fears about the hospital was going into labor before my mom got here, and having Sam as the only one. If he had to leave, what would happen? When no one was with me was when all the crazy stuff happened before.

Having her there solves that completely.

Anyway, we met up and talked for an hour and a half about everything under the sun for labor and delivery. I feel so comfortable with her, so excited that God placed her in my life for this moment. My anxiety about this birth went down a lot just knowing I’d have an advocate for my wishes there, but also who could say, “This is something you need to let them do” to us – and I’m fine with that.

I’m going to be using hypnobirthing techniques with my labor. No, I had no idea Kate was doing the same. *sigh* One thing I really love about this concept is it’s pretty adaptable to any birth situation. So I can do it if I go natural, have an epi, am induced, or even have a c-section. Anne Marie of Do Not Faint has been incredibly helpful with this the past couple of months. She did this with her son in the hospital with a doula, so her knowledge has provided me with a wealth of info. Sam was a little freaked out at first (he thought I was going to hypnotize myself in labor), but once I explained it more he was on board.

Other randoms: I bought a birthing ball and it’s HEAVEN for my hips. Which still hurt so bad that at night I can’t flip over or get out of bed without Sam helping to push me.

So very classy.

I’m organizing all the little clothes and diapers. I have like 4 shipments from Amazon of “last minutes” (breastfeeding stuff, diaper covers, a tiny Ergo for Bella) coming in Tuesday so pretty much Tuesday will be the best day ever.

I’m on moderate bedrest so all of our leftover stash from Kiwi Crate is being used up at a rapid rate. (referral link)  Also Playdoh, paint, and lots of free play. It’s been around 100* every day here. Still.

This is a great book on hypnobirthing, and it’s on Kindle too. (not a referral link)

I’m in need of a great pump (our insurance won’t cover, see post below), so if you all have any recommendations please tell me. Something that would work for travel when we move as well (maybe can be plugged into a car adapter?). I think Sam is hesitating at the prices of them all, and I don’t blame him.

And these are other things I’ve written about this week!

xoxo

Comments

1. Becca Steinmetz-Eggleston says:

Modela was the best pump I've used. and I tried a few. its pricey but it traveled well AMD came with everything

2. Becca Steinmetz-Eggleston says:

My phones keyboard stinks sorry:( the pump came with everything you need so there are no extra purchases. it was amazing.

3. Congrats on hiring a doula! Great choice and so glad you found someone you feel so comfortable with!

4. I second the Medela. I have a Pump in Style. It’s doing very after being used multiple times a day for 7+ months during my first go around with breastfeeding. I don’t foresee any reason why it wouldn’t last me another year of breastfeeding. It does have a car adapter but you have to purchase it separately. I did use the battery pack a handful of times during emergencies and it worked but I would never rely on it for daily use.

5. I used the handheld Medela pump the hospital gave me. It worked great since I only work one day a week. My boss used the same pump when she returned to work full time at 5 weeks PP- and pumped for a year! A handheld can be nice because you can find the “sweet spot” (especially when you’re full!) and there’s no need to even continually pump. Just some slight pressure and you’re bottle will fill up. Definitely a life saver on overworked nipples. ;)

• Oh the overworked nipples. :) I keenly remember those. I never used a handheld but I have one – and part of me wonders if that’s all I might need. I’m glad to hear feedback on it too – I wasn’t really sure how they might work!

6. I used an Avent manual/electric pump. I preferred using it manually, but if I’d been using it long-term, I bet I would have been glad for the ability to plug it in. Hoping it’s all good in its box in the basement – I meant to sell it and my Playtex drop-in bottles, but that never happened, so it’s all ready to be washed and used for babe #3 next year!

7. How exciting that the time is getting close and what a blessing to have a sweet doula! I just used a manual pump (they’re only $35 at Target) & it was just fine. I was able to get about 6 oz’s in 10 minutes. I’m not sure what your specific needs/wants are but it was AWESOME when we travelled to Parris Island last summer because I just pumped it straight into a Dr. Brown’s bottle, screwed the nipple on & fed it to him in the car. Just a thought..

8. Ryanna Knutson says:

If you do have a preterm baby, you’ll want a good quality pump if at all possible cause you may have to use it alot! The Medela Pump in style was great! I got mine second hand–you might check Craigslist? And you can get any replacement parts on Amazon or from Babies R Us.

9. I got the Medela Freestyle this time. Soooo portable and wonderful for travel, but I’ll be going back to work, so I will need the electric. The Medela hand pump is good for just occasional use.

10. I did a lot of research when I was looking for a pump. I strongly considered the Medela but ended up getting the Ameda one. THe particual one I got is no longer made but it looks exactly the same as this one they sell now. http://www.amazon.com/Ameda-Purely-Yours-Breast-Pump/dp/B000ME3146

I highly recommend it. I work full time and pumped 3X per day for 12 months with both babies with mine and it was still going strong. Mine had the ability to operate by cord or battery and I think there was also a car charger option, but I rarely needed it so I just used batteries when I did. I like that it was a closed system and I never had any issues with it. It also had an adjustable speed. I did end up buying the larger horns in the very beginning. Read the reviews on it and it will give you some extra things to consider. I also like that there were less parts to put together and to clean. I bought extra valves and replaced those every few months and replaced all of the replaceable parts with my second child. It didn’t come with a carrying bag, but I went to their website and bought one for pretty cheap. And just for what it’s worth, I REALLY liked the Lansinoh products for their milk bags as well as their breast pads and nipple ointment.

11. I LOVE my Medela Pump In Style. Well as much as anyone can LOVE a breast pump. Lol

It served me well with regular use for Grace and Avery and it’s still going strong. I also love that it comes in a “stylish” black shoulder bag. I recommend getting the car lighter adapter so that you can leave the house from time to time.

Also, I’m SO EXCITED for the birth of your sweet boy! I cannot believe it’s SO CLOSE.

I think you have a great set-up with the hospital, the doula and the hypnobirthing. You’re gonna rock this :)

12. I know everyone goes on and on about Medela pumps, but I cannot say enough how much I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Hygeia Enjoye. I’m hooked up to it about 2-3 times a day and it is just as powerful as the day I took it out of the box (though I will say I will celebrate the day I stop using it, because PUMPING IS THE DEVIL!)

I love that it’s a completely closed system, unlike the Medela. It’s also QUIET! There’s a gal in my office who is also pumping but has a Medela, and her entire corner knows what she’s doing when her door is shut, but my Hygeia is so quiet even those that know what I’m doing can’t hear it. Plus it’s super light weight and you can get a car adapter as well. I’m actually going to be using it in the car this weekend, so I can report back on the effectiveness :)

• I’ve heard great things about the Enjoye. Part of me wonders if it’s “too much” for my needs though. Like any double pump might be? I don’t know. I go back and forth on it because of the costs and how little I pumped with Bella. Mostly because it hurt and I had no idea what I was doing. I love that Hygeia has a recycling program too.

13. Kristen Chambers says:

I loved my Ameda Purely Yours pump. It's much cheaper than Medela but works great and they have amazing customer service! I'm not sure about a car adapter.

14. Tori Sapach Best says:

Having tried both the Medela and ameda I like the ameda better. But I have a Friend who tried the same two and liked the Medela better

15. Hygeia Enjoy! I have the one with the rechargeable battery, which lasts forever between charges. I really like my Lansinoh manual too! You can resell Hygeia (the only ones aside from hospital grade) because they have an external filter.:)

16. Rebecca Berger says:

You may want to find out what brand the hospital uses (probably Ameda or Medela), since they may well give you a starter kit, and you'd want it to be compatible with whatever you purchase for home (will save you some $$). Good luck and congrats on being so close! :)

17. I’m always so amazed by all the different types of “birth” you can do! I’m a nurse and I like hearing about all birthing plans or new ways. Have you heard of prolonged cord clamping? I think that is really interesting and makes a lot of sense! I’m so glad you found a doula! I’m sure that is a big relief. Praying for you during the remainder of your pregnancy.

• Yes! We actually asked for delayed cord clamping (barring an emergency of course) in our birth plan. I’m glad to know as a nurse you think it’s a reasonable thing to do, I always worry a bit that it’s a fad but I’ve read great things about the benefits!

18. I had one of those yoga/pilates balls (which I *think* are essentially the same as the birthing ball?) and it SAVED me during labor. It was so much more comfortable to sit on that thing, then I’d roll down to a crouch with it supporting my back when the contraction came. (Not for EVERY contraction. Active labor was over 24 hours for me, so I spent plenty of time half passed out in the tub)

We ended up using the ball after Jonas was born, too. Bouncing on the ball was the best way to get him to sleep for a LONG time.

I’m so glad you have a doula to advocate for you. (We were considering one when we were planning on the hospital birth – but when the doc made me so mad at an appointment that I switched to a home birth plan 33 weeks into pregnancy, that changed things a bit. :)) I think it’s so nice to have that bit of stress knowing that someone is there who can advocate/fight for you, so you can just focus on, you know, birthing a baby.

I can’t remember what pump I used – it worked well enough, but Jonas REFUSED the bottle, so it ended up sitting in a closet. I THINK it was Medela. It was purple. I AM HELPFUL.

19. Thanks for asking this because it’s what I’m currently researching. I’m lucky that insurance will cover one for me, but not the one that I wanted. They do offer the Ameda Purely Yours which I think I’m going to go ahead and try. If I hate it then I’ll buy one – the Hygeia Enjoye. We just took our breast feeding class through the hospital and the Ameda and the Medela Pump in Style were the two that the LC suggested. I’m going back to work so I’ll need the double electric. I did buy a manual one just to have or to take on outings where a big pump wouldn’t be convenient. I think it’s a Lanisoh one.