Whew. This week has been a whirlwind of things happening.
Wednesday I met up with my friend Laura (waves hi) for a playdate with her two littles. After getting lost I made it a half hour late to the park on base.
I’ve lived here 2 years. 2 YEARS. And I still managed to head to the wrong park first and then get lost trying to find the second one. It doesn’t help that my GPS shuts down on post.
I’d been having contractions since the afternoon before, but they weren’t in a pattern and didn’t hurt, so I figured getting out would help. We’d just be sitting and watching the kids play.
But after about an hour there, I realized that they were beginning to become more frequent and actually uncomfortable. I truly did not want to call my OB knowing she was going to send me to L&D and the moment I got there everything would stop and I’d feel like a moron…
Yes, better safe than sorry, but I hope you all know what I mean. Bella would skip nap, Sam would have to come home. Then nothing. I did call though after Laura reminded me about the cerclage and tearing. Naturally the verdict was me heading in. Sam met us at home, I packed a bag for me and the baby just in case, and we all headed out.
Once at the hospital I had my cerclage in and was hoping to have him at, we were told that every room was full and we’d have to wait 2 hours or longer in a chair to be seen. At this point I was contracting every 6-8 minutes. One of the nurses put in a call to my OB who asked I head to the other hospital she had delivery rights at next door.
WALKING and having contractions in 100+* heat is not any fun. Luckily it’s only a block away but still. Sam was upset and kept asking what the heck they would have done if I was like – having the baby right there?
We were admitted to the other hospital, which I ended up liking better anyway. I kept meaning to schedule a tour but we got an up close and personal that day. Hooked up to the NST and an IV, they found that I was having regular contractions every 10 min or so, and gave me a terbutaline shot. Those sting and make your heart race out.of.control for a while. I felt like I needed to get up and run around the hospital.
A full ultrasound was ordered that took over 30 minutes to do, and by the end of that I was having painful contractions again so another shot. We were there about 4 hours while they checked me all out carefully – but no “hands on” exam thankfully – and determined everything was ok with my cervix, the baby, and contractions were slowed.
I was given the option to stay the night or head home and rest. For just a moment I thought, “Oh, my own room and silence and watching a show on TV that I want…” 🙂 and then I knew if it was ok for me to head home I really should. So I did.
Thursday morning we headed for a regular weekly appt to my OB, where I was again checked all out and told everything was ok. I’m on moderate bedrest; meaning I can go and do (some) things as long as I’m sitting, minimal walking, just mostly sitting with legs propped. Although this is hard to do, I did 6 weeks of it with Bella and am so very thankful it won’t be nearly as long this time, or that this didn’t start much sooner. At the most 3 weeks of bedrest until they take the cerclage out.
So now? Now I’m in full “let’s get ready for this baby” mode. With lots of breaks and going slow, I’m washing and organizing things of his. Buying things we still need. Making a hospital bag.
We are so close. I’ve made it this far. Crazy.