The next 2 days

August 13, 2013

Kaden has a very high risk procedure tomorrow that has to be done for multiple reasons. None are unusual or unexpected – they simply come with what his treatment needs. I’m not going to try to explain what it is because I am exhausted and typing from my phone – but please keep his little body in your prayers as he undergoes this.

Tomorrow is the most high risk procedure where he’ll have to have a breathing tube put in for the other procedure Thursday. Poor little guy has just has one day of rest so far without something being poked or prodded into him.

We are so, so thankful for his amazing medical team and care. We could not ask for better doctors and staff. Really. After all we’ve dealt with this past year, having them truly care about us as a whole is pretty incredible. So it makes trusting them easier knowing they are doing everything they can for him.

There were small improvements in his heart function on Monday! And we received news that could potentially up his chances significantly for recovery but we are waiting for more info on that. Please just pray for him still. Especially for tomorrow. He’s been such a fighter through this – true to his name.

Thank you for all of your support, emails, texts, prayers, and comments. Your notes to us mean the world in the dark moments when it all seems to be too much to bear anymore. We have less of those and more of clinging to hope as days pass and the shock of this wears off some. Thank you. One day this little boy is going to hear an amazing story of how loved and prayed over he was from the start.

20130813-230731.jpg

• Doreen Alexander Child

August 18, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Sending good energy, prayers and love!

• Jennifer

August 16, 2013 at 7:58 am

Such a sweet little face. I cannot imagine what you and your family are going through. I will keep everyone in my prayers. It seems as if you are getting good news and maybe all these prayers from all over are helping. God Speed Kaden <3

• Tracy Moon

August 16, 2013 at 11:59 am

Praying for you and your family.

• Leslie

August 15, 2013 at 2:30 pm

I’ve followed your blog for a long time now and you and your sweet family and precious boy are in my thoughts and prayers!

• Heather Lynn Martinez

August 15, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Praying for your precious baby boy!!♡

• Sherri Buresh Johnson

August 15, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Prayers for this little guy!

• Sherri Buresh Johnson

August 15, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Sending healing prayers!

• Andrea Johnson Beck

August 15, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Always praying!

• Kathryn

August 15, 2013 at 9:47 am

I am new to your blog but wanted you to know I am praying for your sweet baby boy!

• Jenn

August 15, 2013 at 5:22 am

Praying for baby Kaden, for you and your family!

• Nancy Kaser Dubrul

August 15, 2013 at 4:28 am

Prayers, strong energy, and lots of glitter filled love.

• Karen Coffman Smyth

August 15, 2013 at 4:26 am

Me too!

• Jenny Ingram

August 15, 2013 at 4:22 am

Praying, hoping, praying, hoping, praying, hoping…. sending love…

• Tiffany Weatherford Taylor

August 15, 2013 at 3:55 am

I am a friend of Emily and she told me you story. I have friends that have been in similar shoes you are in with your same doctors and they are praying for you too. We have seen miracles happen and we will continue to pray that God will heal your heart just as he is going to heal Kaden with his own "Spirit of Battle" We were going to name our son that for all that he had to fight through as well. Peace that passes all understanding always comes when you need it the most Try to keep a verse that gives you strength during those tough moments mine was. "Do not fear for I am with you Do not be dismayed for I am your God I will strengthen you and help you I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Is 41:10.

• Christine Olsen

August 15, 2013 at 3:47 am

I think of your family constantly and pray for you all.

• angie on maui

August 14, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Continuing to pray for you and that precious little boy.

Thank you for keeping us posted.

• Rebekah

August 14, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Praying for your sweet boy – and for your continued strength. xo

• Shannon McAvoy

August 14, 2013 at 8:45 pm

oh that little smile! will continue praying for this little, sweet miracle 🙂

• Lucy

August 14, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Continuing to pray and hope for your sweet little man.
    Hope you’re taking care of yourself too momma. You’re doing
    An incredible job.

• Lauren

August 14, 2013 at 1:17 pm

I can’t tell you how happy I am to hear that the medical team responsible for Kaden and your family is taking such good care of you. I know they did the same there for my family, so it’s so wonderful to hear that, though my pediatric cardiologist has retired and the surgeon likely has a well, the standard of care at Children’s hasn’t changed. I’m so grateful for how they’re treating you. : )

Still praying, many times a day, every day for healing and strength and small (and big!!) miracles.

• Karen

August 14, 2013 at 12:06 pm

I have no idea how you are feeling but reading this breaks my heart for you and your family. Praying for ultimate healing of sweet Kaden and that you will feel the comfort and peace from our Lord.

• Nannette Elkins

August 14, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Praying for strength and comfort for all of you Diana! Love from Candace Jo, SRT!!

• Joan Jones

August 14, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Prayers on the way

• Lynn Geary

August 14, 2013 at 5:10 pm

love, strength and healing energy for this lovely wee one…

• APRIL

August 14, 2013 at 11:09 am

Oh! It looks like he’s smiling 😀 The face of a fighter! I will pray for him and for your family.

• Elizabeth Barone

August 14, 2013 at 10:59 am

No need to thank us, Diana. Let us carry you through in these difficult times. Sending all my love and hope for Kaden for a full recovery and good surgery results. Lots of love!

• Laura Nelson Magu

August 14, 2013 at 4:44 pm

sending many prayers and hugs to you Diana.

• Chelsea

August 14, 2013 at 10:41 am

We are all praying for you so hard, what a little fighter, and a handsome one at that!

• Courtney Linder

August 14, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Lifting Kaden (and family) up in prayer! Many hugs!

• Heather

August 14, 2013 at 10:39 am

Love, hugs, and prayers. You are incredibly strong and so is your little man.

• Elaine Valente

August 14, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Lifting you all up as God continues to hold Kaden in His loving arms

• Katherine Stone

August 14, 2013 at 4:18 pm

We're rooting for you like crazy Kaden!

• Leanndra Johnson Foster

August 14, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Kaden and you and Sam are in my prayers daily! Praying for full healing and smooth procedures for Kaden!

• Allison

August 14, 2013 at 10:01 am

Diana, this isn’t fair. What is happening to your family is too much. It makes no sense and I’m angry and heartsick. Nobody should have to go through what you have. I know it isn’t graceful to say that and you are just so beautiful in how you are handling such difficult news. I cannot fathom how you are holding it together, except that i know every parent does what they must for their children. I am praying for Kaden. Please, when you can (and don’t feel obligated, that’s not what I’m saying) , keep updating. Your family is often in my thoughts now and even though I don’t *really* know you, I am still here wanting to know every milestone, no matter how small, and hoping for good news.

• Sili M. Recio

August 14, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Sending prayers of healing your way!

• Whitney Johnson

August 14, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Praying from Istanbul, Turkey!!!!

• Becky Daum

August 14, 2013 at 3:52 pm

I don't know you, but I am praying with all my heart for you and Kaden. I also lost twins as super-preemies, and my heart aches with you for that loss, and the helplessness and fear and downright ANGER you must be feeling right now. May you have a "peace that passes all understanding" and the strength that only He can give. Praying for a successful outcome for Kaden!

• Niki @ My Life Remixing

August 14, 2013 at 9:50 am

Prayers are continuing. I am thinking and praying for your family.

• Nancy Johnson Horn (@themamamaven)

August 14, 2013 at 9:43 am

Thinking of your dear son, Kaden and your family and you, Mama. Sending prayers and good healing thoughts. Your strength, even though you think you don’t have any, is amazing.

• Stephanie Appel

August 14, 2013 at 9:30 am

Hugs and love and prayers to you all, Diana. I am envisioning Kaden in a safe little love bubble!

Also – what a cutie, he looks just like his daddy! Thanks for taking the time to share his picture, I know we’ve all been so excited to see him. 🙂

Hugs from Chicago,
    Stephanie

• Joanne Beasley

August 14, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Hi Diana,
    I had the privilege to visit patients in the hospital with an acquaintance, Susan, a couple of weeks ago. Susan and I (and others of course) believe God heals today. Jesus healed the sick. He is the same yesterday, today, and forever. So we pray for people to be healed, believing He will. I love this Psalm that talks of seeing the goodness of the Lord IN THE LAND OF THE LIVING. "I would have lost heart, unless I had believed, That I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living." That's us, that's now, bringing heaven to earth to the LIVING. Healing sometimes happens instantaneously, but some times it is gradual over time. When it is gradual, people can lose heart, lose hope, but if we come along side them with our faith in healing, it gives them sight to see and believe for the goodness of the Lord yet to be manifest in their bodies. May you stand strong in the goodness of the Lord, may you not lose heart. May you bravely declare Kaden will live and not die because you believe God wills to give Kaden a new heart and life. Jesus said to pray "on earth as it is in heaven". Bring heaven to earth. And I share the following with you from Sussan so you can glean faith from the testimony of Jesus healing today. I had the privilege of praying for these patients with her…
    "MIRACLES FROM THE HOSPITAL: God and Jesus are so good, so amazing in their love. We prayed for a man who had been run over by a car and broke his neck making him a quadriplegic, with no feeling or sensation below the shoulders or upper chest. Praise God, he is out of his wheelchair and walking perfectly, no limping. It was so amazing to watch him walk up and down the corridors of the hospital ward as if he had never been run over by a car. He leaves the hospital tomorrow walking. Another woman who also broke her neck and is quadriplegic too now can move her entire left leg, both hands, and arms. She is healing very fast.
    A man with vasculitis, a serious disease of the blood vessels had disfiguring skin lesions all over his body and was on assisted breathing on a ventilator in the ICU. All of his skin lesions dropped off and his skin is totally clear except for a small area of one foot and his lungs are totally healed. Praise God for his amazing blessings! Love Susan Richards.

• Ritah

August 14, 2013 at 8:47 am

Always feels good to read an update from you and thank you for taking time to update. I am prayerfully thinking of Kaden and your whole family through this time.

• Melissa Lynn Benham

August 14, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Still praying for sweet Kaden! He is a fighter for sure. God be with your beautiful little family!

• Tricia Miller

August 14, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Love you, Sam, Bella and Kaden. I'm praying constantly.

• Laura

August 14, 2013 at 8:28 am

Still praying and thinking about you all the time.

• Rusti

August 14, 2013 at 8:25 am

continuing the prayers for your little Heart Warrior, and you, Sam, Bella, your loved ones and Kaden’s medical team.

the intubation is scary, and it’s difficult to see your tiny little baby like that, but hopefully he won’t be intubated for long. also – word of advice: TRUST your medical team, especially if/when alarms start going off. Often with Alli, her pulse/ox monitor would become loose/shift and would start beeping – which didn’t mean that she didn’t have a pulse, just that she needed to be adjusted. If the nurses are calm when they come in, you should try to be as well. Even if several come rushing in and start moving things/checking monitors/adjusting things – unless you see them panic, you should not to panic.

there were several times that Alli needed suction after her OHS (she had fluid on her lungs prior to surgery, and it needed suctioning after) and she did NOT like it – so her throat would tighten up and cut off the air in her vent, so a few nurses and a doctor would fly in and “bag her” and manually force the air in, which was terrifying the first time it happened – Hubs and I were immediately near tears, but it came to be expected that she would need to be “bagged” with each suction. I think it happened half a dozen times or so over the 3 days she was intubated. Each time it happened the staff rushed in, but remained calm and they told us after the first time it happened “thank you for staying quiet and out of the way, we will answer your questions of course, but our first priority is your child, once she is stable you can have our full attention” (I think part of it was wanting to stay out of the way, the other part was pure shock!) ANYWAY. all of that to say – Kaden’s medical team knows what they are doing, and he is their priority. Trust that they will do whatever is needed for him to be kept happy and healthy.

I just started blogging about our experience a couple of weeks ago as we came up on the one-year anniversary of her OHS, and I’d barely cracked the surface. this is bringing it all back, I better get blogging soon.

sending lots of love and prayers. love the pic of your little sweetie. XO

• Joan

August 14, 2013 at 8:15 am

Prayers continue to be sent up to the Lord to heal your beautiful little boy. He IS a fighter and that is in your court as they say. And so is his mama and daddy. So hang in there and know that there are LOTS of prayers being said for your little boy and you as well.

• Amanda Austin

August 14, 2013 at 2:13 pm

I usually don't send prayer requests on here, but please pray for this precious child…God can move mountains and this family needs to feel God's love and power. Although I don't know this family, I believe in the power of prayer.

• Andrea B (@goodgirlgonered)

August 14, 2013 at 8:03 am

Thinking of you all and praying for baby Kaden!!

• zchamu

August 14, 2013 at 8:01 am

Oh Diana. My heart and thoughts are with you all every moment.

• Katie Riemersma Sluiter

August 14, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Look at that sweet little smile. He feels the prayers…and we are just going to keep sending them!

• Carrie

August 14, 2013 at 7:59 am

Sending lots of love your way!!!

• Heather MacPherson-Hester

August 14, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Praying for Kaden today! (and of course, you, too).

• Sunday Stilwell

August 14, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Sending you, Sam, Bella, and especially Kaden so much love. We are all praying!

• Ashley Womac

August 14, 2013 at 1:55 pm

So adorable, you are truly BLESSED!

• Molly Kinser

August 14, 2013 at 1:53 pm

I heard about your son through the other writers of she reads truth. I'm praying for your family and Kaden's precious heart!

• Karen Steele Willis

August 14, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Praying for all! Love the smile!

• Brenda Johnson Tolson

August 14, 2013 at 1:48 pm

I believe the team at Children's Medical Center in Dallas is the best in the world. Praying for your sweet family!

• Tayarra Sharp

August 14, 2013 at 1:45 pm

I don't comment often, but I'm praying and hoping for God's work to be done here. Sending love!

• Nikki Whitaker

August 14, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Prayers for Kaden, your family and the medical team. We too are heart warriors!

• Caitlin

August 14, 2013 at 7:38 am

He’s such a sweet little thing – your family is in my heart through all of this.

• Anamarie Rebori

August 14, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Sends lots of prayers! He's so cute! What a fighter.

• Andrea

August 14, 2013 at 7:24 am

Many, many prayers for your precious boy. He already looks like a tough little dude, so I have a good feeling he’s gonna be just fine. Hugs and more prayers to your whole family.

• Michelle MacNeil

August 14, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Precious sweet boy! Praying through all of the days ahead. Keep fighting sweet Kaden!!

• Susie Q

August 14, 2013 at 7:15 am

I pray you can feel God’s arms around you and your precious family.

• natalie & pure&simple

August 14, 2013 at 7:09 am

Continuing to pray!

• Alena

August 14, 2013 at 7:02 am

I love y’all and I’m praying!! <3

• Stef

August 14, 2013 at 6:51 am

Praying so hard for you guys! Lots of love to you all!

• Emily

August 14, 2013 at 6:42 am

Praying for Kaden, you and your family, and everyone who’s working to heal Kaden’s heart <3

• Shari

August 14, 2013 at 6:27 am

Sending continued well wishes!

• Marisa Toomey

August 14, 2013 at 6:12 am

Continuing to keep you all in my prayers for 100% complete healing and praising God for the improvements!

• Melissa Hodges

August 14, 2013 at 12:10 pm

♥ praying for his comfort and an easy procedure for him tomorrow and your continued encouragement toward hope!

• Emily Cotton

August 14, 2013 at 12:09 pm

He's precious! Will be praying.

• Alex

August 14, 2013 at 6:08 am

He’s smiling in his picture…Momma – it’s okay! We got this!

• Teresa Cavanaugh

August 14, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Thank you for the update. We will be praying!! I can't get over how he is smiling already. Pure joy!

• Amanda Hearn

August 14, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Sending continued love and prayers <3.

• Rachel Bahn

August 14, 2013 at 12:00 pm

I have chill bumps over the fact that he's improving! Oh, the power of prayer!

• Lisabeth Champagne Minihane

August 14, 2013 at 11:51 am

Praying. Still praying.

• Jill

August 14, 2013 at 5:42 am

I’ve been thinking of you ever day. I hope only good news comes from here with Kaden’s healing. I can’t imagine what you are going through, I can only hope that Kaden gets everything he needs sooner rather than later.

• Madonna

August 14, 2013 at 5:40 am

Keeping you and your family in our prayers and praying your caring medical team continues to have clear heads and steady hands during his procedure. Your son is absolutely precious, and is still maintaining a smile considering all that he has endured during his few days of life.

• Kacia

August 14, 2013 at 5:01 am

Praying, Diana. I love you and that sweet boy so incredibly much!

• Lindsey

August 14, 2013 at 4:50 am

Your strength amazes and inspires me. I don’t know if I could endure all that you have over the past few years. Keeping your family in my thoughts.

• Byrdie

August 14, 2013 at 4:05 am

Diana, like many others we have never met but I have followed your story on your blog, rejoicing with you at the good news and crying with you at the bad news. I woke up early this morning at 4AM worried about your family and Kaden. It is with a thankful heart I read your news this morning, that hope is on the horizon and god is answering our prayers. Be comforted by the fact that there are people all over the world praying for a blessing that Kaden wilt thrive and improve minute by minute.

• Kate Mason

August 14, 2013 at 9:29 am

Lots of love and prayers to you all xx

• Kate

August 14, 2013 at 3:08 am

You are constantly in our thoughts and prayers, hang in there! Thank you updating for all the people you don’t even know who are anxiously awaiting news (like me!). Beautiful picture of your strong little man xx

• Travis Kristin Spencer

August 14, 2013 at 9:00 am

We are praying for all of you, and especially little Kaden

• Jessica Pardee

August 14, 2013 at 8:58 am

Praying for Kaden's healing & strength for you & Sam.

• Larissa Andersen-Connolly

August 14, 2013 at 8:48 am

Love, hugs, thoughts and prayers ❤ xoxo

• Ruth D Capocci

August 14, 2013 at 6:40 am

It's like that smile is saying, don't worry I am gonna be just fine xxx

• Alex Asher Sears

August 14, 2013 at 5:26 am

Much love to you all. xo a

• Alicia Smith

August 14, 2013 at 5:18 am

Aw look at that sweet face! Praying for you little man!

• Sherri Kuhn

August 14, 2013 at 5:01 am

Praying for your little guy…and for you for strength during this difficult time. ❤

• Me

August 13, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Thinking of you and praying for the little one from a far far country.
    I’ll keep my finger crossed.
    Sometimes miracles do happen.

• Jennifer Browning

August 13, 2013 at 10:50 pm

Two years ago, I was in the NICU with my sweet boy, Abraham. It was all so surreal. I am praying so hard for you and your darling boy, mama, with what must be a million other people.

• Caroline

August 13, 2013 at 10:47 pm

I love the photo. How precious. Thank you for taking the time to type this from your phone. I am praying with you.

• Amy Allen Gooder

August 14, 2013 at 4:46 am

Praying with everything I have. And as hard as it is…please…try to rest if you can. Or at least take care as much as you can.

• Emily FaliLv

August 14, 2013 at 4:42 am

Praying mama! What a sweet little face.

• Emily FaliLv

August 14, 2013 at 4:42 am

Praying mama! What a sweet little face.

• Emily FaliLv

August 14, 2013 at 4:42 am

Praying mama! What a sweet little face.

• Emily FaliLv

August 14, 2013 at 4:42 am

Praying mama! What a sweet little face.

• MommaBird

August 13, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Thinking of you and keeping Kaden in my thoughts tomorrow as he goes through his procedure. Much love and strength to you!

• Whitney Lett

August 14, 2013 at 4:35 am

Still praying! He looks so sweet. Praying you feel well and can get rest when possible.

• Jill Williams Krause

August 14, 2013 at 4:33 am

Love and hugs Diana Stone!

• Kristin Cho

August 13, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Diana this warms my heart. I am fervently praying for your sweet son, and keeping you in my thoughts as well. Lots of love to you xoxo