Two Weeks Old

August 19, 2013

Our Kaden,

Today you are two weeks old! We are so proud you have made it so far and done so well with your heart being as broken as it is. You have truly lived up to your name in your short time here – fighter.

20130819-225340.jpg

We all had a big day in your room at Children’s. Your oxygen was turned down and we could give you a bottle of the milk I’ve been pumping and storing up. Your nurses are so encouraging with all of that, but seeing you finally content and full was the best feeling. I can’t imagine the tubes feeding you lipids and carbs through your stomach have been that great, but it was the best thing for you until you were a little stronger.

20130819-225320.jpg

Daddy was able to give you a quick bath. We can’t put you in the water, but he wiped you down with wet washcloths and soap. You were very angry. Everyone is quite pleased at your lung power, and that reassured us again about it. You turn completely red when you’re mad, and at the end you held your breath in rage so long the nurse had to blow on you to make you take a breath. You may have gotten both of our tempers. It will be quite interesting when both you and your sister get going at home one day.

Every day we plan as best we can how to help you. How to bring us closer and more permanently to you as you fight to live. We love you so much already. You, your brothers, and your sister are the best things that ever happened to us. You look so much like Bella, but I see a lot of Preston and Julian in you too. I know those two are watching you from heaven.

Next week you’ll meet your sister in person. I can’t wait for that day. If you ever read this blog, you’ll know how often during your pregnancy I longed for that moment.

You have thousands of people loving on and praying for you. We know that these prayers sustain us in those hard moments – and each day brings each side of extreme emotions to deal with. Both your Daddy and I fully know how fragile life is, and yours is even more so right now.

20130819-225330.jpg

We adore you. You have captured your father’s heart completely, I see him look at you with such love that I feel like my heart will burst. It’s in those moments where my entire soul begs God to spare your life, to let your Daddy have his little son to raise into a man like him. I ache that he has to go through any of this again, losing your brothers was so hard on him.

You are loved. You are prayed over. You have already changed our lives and we would do anything for you. As much as we know you are so strong and fighting, I hope one day I will be writing a birthday post for you while listening to you and Bella whine from the other room as I shake my head, Daddy attempts to figure out what’s wrong, and Charlie barks his little head off.

We love you more than you will ever, ever fathom. Keep fighting, my little son.

Daddy and Mama

• Lea

August 24, 2013 at 8:08 pm

I love the expressions on dad and baby’s faces, there is so much love there! I am lifting you and your sweet family up in prayer May His peace rest on you, may His grace protect you, may His love shine upon you all!

• vonda livingston

August 22, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Prayers being lifted up in NC for your precious baby boy!

• Roberta Stein

August 20, 2013 at 11:59 pm

Prayers are being sent!

• Jeanie

August 20, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Such a sweet and loving post. I feel encouraged reading your words. I pray God will mend his little broken heart.

• Alexa

August 20, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Sweet baby boy! I am praying so hard for all of you! I hate it that you are going through this. Kaden truly is a fighter!

• Rusti

August 20, 2013 at 10:09 am

love this. XOXO

• zchamu

August 20, 2013 at 9:42 am

If there is any fairness in this world, he will be ok. Soon. Big hugs.

• Joanne Beasley

August 20, 2013 at 8:38 am

Father God, thank You for Kaden, such a beautiful baby boy! Thank You that You created us in Your image. I love how You gave us the privilege to be fruitful and multiply and then (in Your image) to name our children just as You gave Adam that privilege in the Garden of Eden (to name the animals). I love that Kaden’s name means fighter. Just as the garden of Eden was perfect in every way, You desire that we bring heaven to earth (“…on earth as it is in heaven…”). You have given Your sons and daughters authority (“…the Spirit of power and of love and of a sound mind…”) to fill and subdue the earth…to bring Your reign to this earth…to bring light into darkness, to bring order into chaos, and to bring Your glory into what is inferior, lacking, and hollow. Thank You for that privilege. May Kaden grow up to be a mighty warrior of Yours bringing heaven to earth. Thank You for healing his heart, Father God!

• molly

August 20, 2013 at 8:15 am

There is a little four-year-old boy named Kaden at my boys’ preschool and every time I see him I close my eyes and wish so hard that someday your Kaden will be jumping around like he does. Prayers to you for continued strength.

• Stef

August 20, 2013 at 7:55 am

Happy 2 weeks Kaden!! Continued prayers for your little man and your family. I cannot wait for Bella to meet her brother. Much love to you all!

• Jen Hoyt

August 20, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Hugs, love, and prayers!

• Nikki

August 20, 2013 at 7:21 am

So sweet. Praying for you daily!

• Suz

August 20, 2013 at 7:10 am

Happy 2 weeks Kaden! Love & prayers continue from my family to yours!

• Andrea B (@goodgirlgonered)

August 20, 2013 at 6:59 am

Two weeks! How very amazing and beautiful! What a sweetie!!

So glad that he screamed his head off during bath time. The time will come when you guys are working at avoiding that – for sure. 😉 He’s gorgeous and I’ve still got him in my thoughts always. All of you. Sending love.

• Amanda Hoyt

August 20, 2013 at 6:57 am

happy 2 weeks, Kaden!
    we’re here – about 5 hours away – continuing to pray for you and lift up your family and doctors in prayer.
    we love you!

• Michelle MacNeil

August 20, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Just can't get enough of the photos! My heart is so heavy for you and I, too, pray you will know the day when your home will be filled with these two sweet children running and playing together. That you will hear him laughing and full of joy! Lord, please grant this sweet family your mercy and grace. Praying for you and your family, Diana.

• Melissa Hodges

August 20, 2013 at 12:29 pm

:') praying praying praying

• Jill

August 20, 2013 at 6:25 am

Keep fighting, Preston!! Stay strong, mom and dad.

• Jessica Pardee

August 20, 2013 at 12:08 pm

You all are in my prayers and in my heart today & everyday. Yesterday you posted about how pumping was suddenly worth it & I can fully relate. I pumped for my daughter for 16+ months and I know that is the one thing that got me through her 37 day NICU stay. ♥ to you all

• Allison

August 20, 2013 at 5:07 am

Happy two week birthday Kaden! I hold you in my thoughts throughout the day, as I am sure so many others do all around the world. Your mama and daddy can know that whenever they are down, they can take strength from the many, many little (and big) prayers being spoken, dreamed and wished for you all the time. Be strong little fighter!

• Valanne

August 20, 2013 at 4:52 am

Daddy may make Kaden hold his breath, but moma’s precious words made tears stream down my face.
    Thank you Lord for bottle feedings and lung power. Thank you for two weeks.

• Marisa Toomey

August 20, 2013 at 4:36 am

So sweet! Continued prayers!

• Miss Pat

August 20, 2013 at 1:29 am

Thank you for posting updates about Kaden and your family. I check your blog several times a day just waiting for news. Stay positive – we are all rooting for you!!!
    ps your son is adorable!!!!

• Mellisa Rodgers

August 20, 2013 at 5:56 am

DEAR GOD, CREATOR OF ALL THINGS, LIFE AND DEATH, PLEASE WATCH OVER THIS CHILD, BLESS HIM TO LIVE A FULL AND HAPPY LIFE, LEND THIS CHILD OF YOURS TO THIS INCREDIBLY LOVING FAMILY AS THEY WOULD CHERISH HIM FOR ALWAYS, LEND THEM STRENGTH AND COURAGE TO FACE EACH DAY AS YOU MAY MAKE A CALL FOR SOMEONE TO COME HOME, I ASK THIS IN YOUR NAME LORD, AMEN

• Kaloni Erickson

August 20, 2013 at 5:54 am

Oh Diana, your little boy has touched more lives than he will ever know. You made me cry and pray so hard again tonight for your little man,and for you and your husband.

• Mellisa Rodgers

August 20, 2013 at 5:53 am

• Mellisa Rodgers

August 20, 2013 at 5:44 am

Prayers comin ur way!

• Khristina Venetis

August 20, 2013 at 5:35 am

Prayer to this precious family~!

• Elizabeth Barone

August 19, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Happy two weeks, Kaden!

Keep fighting, little man. You’re doing great!

Hugs and love to you all.

• Susan Smith

August 19, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Hi Diana and Sam,

Clearview is praying for you all. We are holding our breaths until the next update. Thank you for keeping us informed. Love to you and your family.

• Sherri Kuhn

August 20, 2013 at 4:18 am

Praying, hoping and wishing..,what a little doll, and so glad you were able to experience a few of these little milestones with him.

• Allix B.

August 19, 2013 at 10:17 pm

I love this. 🙂

• rachel

August 19, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Congrats diana these small miles stones are amazing. So proud of your family and your little man. Sending all our thoughts your way.