Our Land of Nod Homeschool Room Tour

Our Land of Nod Homeschool Room Tour

January 9, 2014

Our Land of Nod Homeschool Room Tour

At laaaaast, our room has come aloooooong

#sorrynotsorry #dorkalert

But without singing anymore, here it is, the official Land of Nod Homeschool Room. I showed you the before, and this past week I have edited photos and trying to figure out which of the 2,485 after pics to put in here. Boy do I ever wish I had the Babble slideshow stuff on my blog now.

land of nod homeschool room-10Hopscotch yourself right down the hall to our little room of Nod inspired learning. I fell in love with this mat as soon as I saw it. My mom homeschooled my littlest brother for a year, and he needed to move to learn. I also taught children who had to do the same – and this mat is perfect for a child that needs to learn in motion. Have them hop around while they spell, give times tables, or listen to you read. Try it – if your kid isn’t one who wants to sit still (and that’s ok!) this mat might be the answer while keeping them near you.

land of nod homeschool room-8

Take a look at those metal High Rise Bookshelves (similar link) – I love how sturdy they are because they’re broader at the bottom. Lots of room for things like dinosaurs, games, books, the number bins that hold (and hide!) everything, and all of our creations we make. The various shares and sizes allow us to mix and match what we put on there, and easily rearrange when needed. Bella can see everything at one time, no hunting for things pushed in the back or behind a door. Those letters? Kraft Letters – I chat about them more below.

land of nod homeschool room-1

Backing up a bit, here’s what they look like from straight on. The red and blue Bon Voyage Suitcase Set up top are perfect for stray pieces, art supplies, puzzles, and keeping papers safe. The Bubble Wall Clock (similar item linked) is such a unique piece of art, you really have to click to the site to see it closer. It’s large enough that Bella can easily see the numbers as we start to teach her about time. See our little toad’s cage up there? 🙂

land of nod homeschool room-15

Bella’s absolute favorite thing so far was those dinosaurs. She has all four that were offered. Pin them (the link takes you there) for a reminder to check back, or look at Land of Nod’s plush dinosaurs. See those yellow dots in the corner? A garland that drapes over our windows for a pop of color.

land of nod homeschool room-4

My book loving heart just died with this Good Read Book Caddy. It’s super sturdy and fits a number of books, with bins (or anything else) tucked underneath for storage. I like that it’s an open place for her to see the books – and then for me to find our overdue library ones. Love those blocks in the back? They’re the Greater Pyramid ones as a large (or try this multi-shape set). They are actually a breeze to clean up, and the colors on them are so incredibly vibrant. They’re perfect for math time.

land of nod homeschool room-13

We’ll take a step back to show you the next corner of the room. The Pyramid blocks are beside Bella for reference. Here we see the Wooden Wall Shelf hanging (similar item linked) – ideal for storing her little collections of things. I also use it for a few of my teaching supplies that seem to never find the right small spot. The blue bins from the Top Box Storage Collection came in handy for all my teaching books and her curriculum pages – I can tote them from room to room as I work on next week’s schedule and then toss it all back in when I’m done.

land of nod homeschool room-3

This wall of art was a genius, oh so simple idea from the Land of Nod team via this pin. They used yarn and small nails to make a collage of differently sized spaces to showcase Bella’s work. The wall clips stick to any surface to hold a variety of things. The light – oh the light – is a Looseleaf Pendant Shade (similar item linked) of the world. It looks yellow in this pic because it was on, but it’s really just a lit up globe – darling.

land of nod homeschool room-7

Next up is my little corner – the Sloane Leaning Desk and Bookcase. I’m able to write and organize my day here while keeping an eye on Bella doing any work at her table or playing on the floor. I love how easy this was to have assembled (it’s literally just hooked into a catch on the wall) and would be very simple to move from place to place.

land of nod homeschool room-9

Zooming in for a close up: my Class Act Desk Chair is so comfy for all the time I put in writing. It’s padded and curved perfectly – plus it swivels but has locking wheels for when Bella is ready to learn about the computer. The clip light (that has padding on the clip so no scratches!) holds fast anywhere.

land of nod homeschool room-6

The wall to the right of my desk holds some fun stuff. The Natural History Framed bug art (butterfly is over my desk in the pic above) is such a gorgeous piece for any child. Bella loves to find the bugs we’re talking about in our studies. The Prints of the Jungle are included for her love of animals.

with the Frames. Beside those is her art station with the Up Against the Wall Paper Holder and Bin. She loves to doodle – I can watch her carefully paint or hand her crayons/washable markers for more lenient moments.

land of nod homeschool room-19

This my friends? This was that awful, horrible mirrored closet. The team removed the mirrors and hung up Canvas Hanging Closet Organizers for easy viewing and reach for Bella. Beside that is a World Wall Map (similar item linked) that she loves to run and look at as we study different places. Those study canvas bins hold just about anything I want off the floor.

land of nod homeschool room-21

The pop of purple are more of the garlands that we hung over the closet molding. Inside is the most darling little chalkboard (similar item linked).

land of nod homeschool room-5

This is a view from the corner to the door area. The Kraft Letters on the wall spell the whole alphabet down, and have a hole on the back for easy hanging. The Art Caddy is absolutely perfect – in size and depth – for all of her crayons, markers, scissors, glue, and tall/long craft materials like straws and pipe cleaners. It has a handle so I can easily swipe it from the table to the floor or the shelves without a spill. I love those Number Bins – perfect for storing soft items.

land of nod homeschool room-12

Sigh. I just love this picture. Let me tell you about what’s in this shot: the Parker Play Chairs are a great size for Bella – but also for me. Thank goodness, they are so well made that I never sit on one and wonder if it’s the last time. O_o

The real showstopper and absolute must have in our room was the Adjustable Height Everlasting Play Table. It grows in height with your children. The first setting is lower (15″ high) perfect for toddlers. The second (23″ high) is ideal for Bella till she’s almost a tween (sobs about that thought). The last setting (30″ high) will last her through high school. It’s comfortable enough at the second height for me to sit with her and teach. So, so well made and easy to clean. It’s a piece that will last forever and is worth it’s weight in gold.

land of nod homeschool room-18

A girl, her wand, and the dinosaurs. What more can you ask for? Maybe a Ginormous Beanbag (40″ across) – so big that both Bella and I can curl up in it comfortably to read the day’s book before we start to work. The Herringbone Poofs next to her let us take our reading anywhere – a little one for her and big one for me.

land of nod homeschool room-17

The rug, oh the gorgeous, perfect, so inviting Candy Dot rug. My lust over this rug was second only to the table. It’s everything a room floor covering should be and more. It’s easy to clean, soft, and perfect for when the dinosaurs need to eat different colors of grass. Heavy enough to stay down but easy to roll and move with you. 100% wool and our 8’x10′ covers most of the room.

land of nod homeschool room-2

So there we are. Our Land of Nod Homeschool Room. Look for more about the space and us in their February catalog and their Real Families page. As always, my blog is for sharing. Feel free to pin/share/tweet/send any of these images or posts in this series with your friends. It’s always a blessing to know people love what I share with you.

Thank you to the Land of Nod for making one of our biggest dreams come true. I truly adore this space of ours. We are so thankful to the team that flew out here to put this all together, and the ones who stayed behind but helped get it all ready to look this way. I never in a million years expected my dream of having a space of my own to homeschool in become a reality, but they made it possible.

The Land of Nod, design for kids and people that used to be kids

• LindseyLoo

September 28, 2014 at 10:19 am

This is beyond amazing! So many good ideas. It looks new and fresh and fun! My favorites are the rugs and the Good Book Read Caddy. I just may use that in their room…hm. Happy Schooling!

• Chelsea Noel Rupp

July 24, 2014 at 2:19 am

I love the felt board calendar!!!

• El Paso Exploreum | DianaWrote

July 15, 2014 at 7:31 pm

[…] preschool, she’s such social little thing. Everywhere we go people comment on that. Even the Land of Nod crew here in December told me that of all the kids they’d worked with, she was by far the […]

• Erin

June 12, 2014 at 12:15 pm

I’m trying to decide between two ginormous bean bags from LON or the regular for playroom seating for our 8 and 5 year old boys. Do you love the ginormous size? Do you think two would overpower the room?

June 12, 2014 at 3:36 pm

They’re big – but honestly the ginormous would probably be perfect for growing boys to use long term. They are really, really sturdy so they’d be able to use them for years. I can sit and read comfortably on one – anything smaller would be a big harder to do for more than a few minutes.

• Gillian

April 28, 2014 at 3:11 pm

I love the color combination used on the wall letters! Do you happen to know the paint colors used? Thank you!

June 12, 2014 at 3:34 pm

I’m sorry this took so long for me to remember to reply! Here it is: Benjamin Moore Pearl River #871

1. Gillian

June 12, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Thank you!

• Pauline Hegerhorst Grayson

March 17, 2014 at 10:47 pm

This is such a beautiful room! How exciting! Especially after all of your loses. I know a little of what you are going through. I lost a baby 3 years ago. I was 24 weeks pregnant and found out at 13 weeks that I was going to lose her. But we have been blessed with a beautiful baby boy just 5 months ago. Thank you for your strong faith in our Savior, Jesus Christ and for your strength as a mother and woman. You are simply beautiful!

• Elizabeth Turner Neas

March 15, 2014 at 4:36 am

What an absolutely fantastic place for learning and playing!

• Elizabeth Turner Neas

March 15, 2014 at 4:36 am

What an absolutely fantastic place for learning and playing!

• Cover Girl {Land of Nod Style}

March 12, 2014 at 9:26 am

[…] Take a tour of the whole homeschool room. […]

• Scrapbook: Homeschool/Playroom for Miss E | everyday magical…

February 6, 2014 at 2:36 pm

[…] – Diana Wrote […]

• С… С„ Иван Царевич Рё Серый Волк 2 Р·РЃС…

February 4, 2014 at 5:00 pm

Новинки кино!

Смотрите фильмы

• lyzlenz

January 25, 2014 at 9:59 am

I hope this is just the first of thousands of good things coming your way.

• danielle

January 20, 2014 at 6:30 pm

This is such a lovely room!!!

• Homeschool Day in the Life {Right Now} and a Little About Us

January 20, 2014 at 9:56 am

[…] recently had Land of Nod come out to set up an entire homeschool room for us, then shoot it for an upcoming […]

• Mary

January 15, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Girlfran, I can hear how pleased you are in your writing & I’m so happy that you & Bella & Sam are loving your space! (And, I’m glad I don’t have to kick any arse over at L.O.N. for some lame “fake-over!” Lol 😉 You’ve blessed my life & stretched my faith with your words…Thank you for every post, Diana. <3

• rachel

January 13, 2014 at 10:00 pm

Looks fantastic! More info on the “Today is” chart please 🙂

January 13, 2014 at 10:06 pm

It’s on Amazon – it’s a great, sturdy chart that is super easy for Bella to use. http://amzn.to/JWPXrZ

2. rachel

January 13, 2014 at 10:09 pm

I saw your previous comment. Thanks!

• melody

January 12, 2014 at 3:26 pm

this is the dreamiest school room i have ever seen!!!! will you please be my teacher? (partly joking. but not really) no for real. i want to come play with you and Bella!!! so so sooo happy for you mama. so many sweet memories will be had in this room. your Bella is just the luckiest to have you 🙂

January 13, 2014 at 8:52 pm

Come over!! 🙂 Thanks so much, we truly love it.

• Thoughts and Favorites on a Sunday

January 12, 2014 at 2:38 pm

[…] Our Land of Nod Homeschool Room Tour – Come take a peek at what the finished room looks like. […]

• Sarah

January 9, 2014 at 6:44 pm

Did Land of Nod provide the “Today is” calendar? I love it and have been searching for one.

January 13, 2014 at 8:52 pm

It’s actually from Amazon, called the Alma Today Is Calendar. I really like it – and it has up to 2017 I believe. http://amzn.to/JWPXrZ

• Laura W.

January 9, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Wow!! I LOVE it! I love how diverse & colorful & FUNCTIONAL it is. I would love to see the garland over the window! What does Bella say about the room? So cool!

January 13, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Bella absolutely loves it. She asks to be in it all the time and the space is great for her and her million projects.
      I’ll try to include a post that shows the window – or maybe leave me your IG/Twitter name so I can send it to you?

1. Laura W.

January 14, 2014 at 9:04 am

We follow each other on twitter!, I’m @lwilderwoman or @wilderfam09 on IG!

January 14, 2014 at 9:06 am

That’s what I thought! Your email was similar. I’ll send one soon!

• Kaitlyn

January 9, 2014 at 3:52 pm

I love it! It makes me wish even more that I had the space to do a homeschool room.

January 13, 2014 at 8:56 pm

We totally have done homeschool on the couch this past year. Couch and tiny IKEA table. It did work but we would have eventually needed a bigger table. I know families that have home schooled from their dining rooms (with 5 kids!!). We are so blessed to have this but should we ever move to somewhere with a lot less space we could still make it work again.
      Hope that came off as encouraging and not snarky! xo

• Kristin @ In Between the Piles

January 9, 2014 at 2:32 pm

I’m so happy for you! This room is incredible down to every last detail. It’s awesome, and I’m so glad that the Land of Nod chose your family to show off their merchandise!! Can I come and play?!

January 13, 2014 at 8:56 pm

Yes! Please! And thank you for saying that, we are really blessed to have them be such a big part of our journey.

• Jennifer @ Also Known As…the Wife

January 9, 2014 at 1:26 pm

You forgot to tell us the paint color. I must know! 🙂

January 9, 2014 at 1:28 pm

I saw your name pop up on my phone and instantly thought, “THE PAINT COLOR!” Bwahahaha http://www.pinterest.com/pin/24910604162990643/ It’s Benjamin Moore Pearl River #871

• Kerri Akers

January 9, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Love, love, love, LOVE this room! It's so bright & inviting. I want to come learn ALL THE THINGS!

• Shawn

January 9, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Dang girl. I kind of want to live in this room!

• Amber West

January 9, 2014 at 12:07 pm

I have been checking my feed every day for this. It’s beautiful!! I love everything about this room, and I am so happy for you and Bella!

January 13, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Your comment about being happy for us in my original LoN post has stuck with me for weeks now. It was such a nice thing to read, thanks Amber.

January 9, 2014 at 11:45 am

I’ve been waiting for this post! LOVE LOVE LOVE it all. I even ordered my own catalog to take a look.

Thank you for sharing!

January 13, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Yay! You are going to love their catalog, it’s like a kid in a candy store when you open it. I want everything in there.

1. Jen

January 13, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Oh and that rug you got simply genius! I think that may be my favorite.

I got the catalog and I must say I could definitely get into some trouble buying stuff.

Haha

• Franchesca

January 9, 2014 at 11:43 am

What a beautiful, creative space!!!! Thanks for sharing this with us Diana.

• Casey

January 9, 2014 at 11:31 am

Oh my goodness. I love love love this room! The book caddy! The garlands! The hop scotch mat! The candy dot rug! This totally rules. I’m so happy for you and Bella to have such a wonderful space!

January 13, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Thank you! Isn’t the rug amazing? Roozle could just curl up with her crayons and go to sleep on that at night. Great pic backgrounds. 🙂

• Micaela

January 9, 2014 at 11:22 am

It’s perfect! I love everything about it. What a lucky girl Bella is.

January 13, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Thank you for this. So often I wonder if the amount of stuff we’ve had to deal with has impacted how she feels about our life – this doesn’t “make up” for any of it but it’s nice to know she has other areas of feeling special.