My Word {2015}

January 8, 2015

I love words. I love picking one that I hope will define my thinking for the year – turning me back over and over to where I was moving on from the past year into one full of hope.

So this year, I picked a word with a meaning where I’ve been both struggling and making a part of my daily life.

My Word 2015

This is the Hebrew text, written in my dad’s handwriting. He knows Hebrew (and Greek) so I asked him to write it for me. I’m planning on having it tattooed somewhere small. (Person who anonymously wrote me that tattoos are wrong- duly noted. I am getting another one. That’ll make 6 wrongs.)

I love, love, love the Hebrew version of this word. Here’s what this one means:

Wait: qavah (kaw-vaw)

to wait, look for, hope, expect (probably originally twist, stretch, then of tension of enduring, waiting: Assyrian ‡ûû II, I. wait, ‡û, cord; Arabic be strong, strength, also strand of rope; Syriac endure, remain, await, threads, so ᵑ7 קַוִּין spider’s threads, web)

sources: Biblestudytools.com and Biblehub.com

Often this past year I’ve felt myself rushing to be done with something or to move onto the next thing. I’ve found that 99.99% of my life is waiting. And most of us try to wait with a vengeance if we’re aware of it. Like – I almost try to control my wait time. “I’m going to WAIT PATIENTLY LORD. I’m stiiiiillll waiting.” Really that’s still us trying to do it “right” or in a way that hurries God up.

I don’t know exactly how else to wait, but I do know that if my life is made up of mostly this time period, it should involve me handing it to God. He should be in charge of how I wait, the lessons I learn (or don’t), and the things that happen.

Sometimes waiting leads to an open door.

Sometimes waiting is simply sitting in front of a closed door for much longer than any of us are comfortable with.

I’m searching out waiting this year. Asking God to open my eyes to my life as waiting.

I’d love to hear your word if you picked one.

• Karen Perry Habiger

January 9, 2015 at 3:57 pm

Blown away by this word choice & your reasoning. Definitely need to incorporate that point of view in my life. Thanks!

• Nicole at Mommy Moxie

January 9, 2015 at 7:52 am

…”6 wrongs”…Bwhahaha! Thank goodness God forgives, right?!? Somehow I doubt He’s going to be overly concerned about the tattoo of scripture on your arm. Or your babies feet or K’s elephant. Duh.

FOCUS is my word for the year, as in focus on what matters. Being healthy, the people around me, living in the moment. Last year was so blah (as in I just skated by without really pushing myself), this year I want to do something more. Hence my word 🙂

• Jessica

January 8, 2015 at 7:45 pm

The waiting definitely resonates with me. “Wait and put your hope in the Lord,” I’m not so good at the waiting. I want to get to the knowing. I’m still figuring out my word…I might be leaning more toward a phrase: redeemed joy or endure with Colossians 1:11 as the context, “May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy.”

We had our 3rd miscarriage over the summer and for some reason it still surprises me how (and when) each one effects and the last few months have been increasingly difficult. All my friends in my core group are pregnant and one is a week behind where I should’ve been, so it’s been hard to see the hope and understand the “why?” (and right now I’m just not feeling the “oh, you’ll see the good…it’ll help someone later” line). I just feel like I’m in a prolonged season of endurance. It’s draining, but I want to see the joy in it. To have it all be redeemed.

• Molly

January 8, 2015 at 7:05 pm

I love picking a word each year too. Love this one <3

• Becky @ bybmg

January 8, 2015 at 7:03 pm

Love this. My word this year is organize. Can’t wait to see your tattoo!

• » My Word {2015}

January 8, 2015 at 6:33 pm

[…] I love words. I love picking one that I hope will define my thinking for the year – turning me …read more       […]

• Tessica Trudell

January 9, 2015 at 1:17 am

Love your word, and tattoos! I would like a hebrew one someday too.
    My word is hope!

• Barbara Fahrendholz

January 9, 2015 at 12:00 am

Passion. I am asking God to clearly show me where my passion is and how I can use it to glorify Him this coming year.

• Danielle Brigance

January 8, 2015 at 10:50 pm

Love love love this!

• Angela Parker

January 8, 2015 at 10:45 pm

Haven't chosen one for definite yet, but waiting resonates with me a lot….my life, for the past few years, has been waiting!! It's a good word Diana, my prayers are with you in the waiting xx

• shelia

January 8, 2015 at 3:13 pm

I chose enough. Because some days I have to remember that the Lord is more than enough in my moments of feeling not enough. I just can’t do and be it all. I will fall short. He will not. Ever.