The Big News

January 23, 2015

I have 11 cartons of Girl Scout cookies in my car.

Oh, wait. Sorry. Day 22 of Whole30 and sugar is still my #1 kicker on this.

So that’s not the big news at all (in fact those cookies are to sell). It has to do with Zimbabwe, me, the boys, these past nearly 3 years, and my therapist.

Like some kind of a random riddle.

I’m going back to school. To become a grief and loss therapist.

I’ve been accepted into Liberty University’s online program to finish my Bachelor’s degree – switching from Elementary Ed to Psychology/Christian Counseling – minor in International Studies.

My hope is that one day, I’ll be able to work with women (and men) both here and internationally that have lost a child during or after pregnancy.

I was so close to finishing my degree when I found out I was pregnant with the twins – and student teaching was up next. I never went back after I lost them, and started pulling in money with my writing so didn’t think much of it. Until Kaden died. Then I couldn’t stop thinking about my own healing and others who didn’t have the resources God put in place for me.

In the 2 1/2 years I’ve been in therapy, I’ve learned so, so much from my therapist. She is an incredible woman who chose a rather hard and unknown road in grief and loss therapy for perinatal/neonatal loss. She’s literally changed our lives (although she would tell you she gave us the tools to change our own 😉 ). I’ve thought about doing this for probably a little over a year now, but going to Zimbabwe was the jumping off point. I can’t change the fact that there will always be child loss. We can help with organizations that are working to change the rate of loss, but nothing will eliminate it. But no one, anywhere, should feel that they can’t ever speak about their child again, no matter how early, late, or traumatic.

I’m a little terrified – to be honest. I have a million thoughts of how this won’t matter, it’s a lot of money, what if I do this and no one cares enough to use my services? But it’s been on my heart for so long, and I have the full support of Sam, family, and friends.

Money-wise, well, I wish we could still use trade or bartering services. It’s expensive to do this – we already have student loans. Liberty generously gave us a discount due to being military, I’ve applied for a few scholarships, but I’ll still be working/writing to make ends meet and hopefully not add a lot more to my debt. If you click on my ads here, or use my affiliate links to make your purchases, or just read the sponsored posts that go up every so often – that helps so much. I don’t make a ton, but it covers books and some childcare for Bella!

So that’s my big news. Hopefully in a year or two I’ll be telling you all about starting my Master’s and getting licensed. 🙂 Which autocorrect tried to change to “silenced” so there’s that. lol

I’m so very excited to do this, to give back in some small way. I can’t wait to see where God leads as I pursue this journey.

• For I Know the Plans I Have For You… | DianaWrote

February 11, 2015 at 8:41 pm

[…] can’t believe it. I really can’t. The day I said I was going back to school, one of their (crazy talented) literary agents, Jessica, reached out to me about writing a […]

• Lisa P.

January 28, 2015 at 7:56 am

That is wonderful! God can definitely use our difficulties to help us reach out to others. I just finished a Master’s in marriage and family counseling last month. I had considered taking online classes with Liberty University but God opened the door for me to attend New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary. I pray this will be a blessing for you an others. Feel free to email me if I can help in any way.

• New Routines | DianaWrote

January 27, 2015 at 9:18 pm

[…] Today I sat down and ordered the textbooks for my classes. […]

• Rusti Lyn

January 25, 2015 at 6:55 am

you continue to inspire me Diana. so excited for this next path in your journey. *hugs*

• Tracy @ The UnCoordinated Mommy

January 24, 2015 at 6:45 pm

Yay!! That’s so exciting!! What a wonderful thing to do. I wanted to do family and child psychology when I was in college but a teacher told me I shouldn’t because I made a B in general psych. o_O you give me hope I could one day go back and get it done!! I recently had tge opportunity to pursue teaching parenting classes and I feel like this could get me closer! So happy you are finding your purpose 🙂

• In Between the Piles

January 25, 2015 at 12:02 am

Diana – what awesome, awesome news!! I'm so excited for you and your upcoming journey. When do you start? So exciting!

• angelaamman

January 24, 2015 at 2:07 pm

Congratulations! You will help so many people <3

• Danielle Brigance

January 24, 2015 at 4:38 pm

This is so great! You will be great at it, and help so many people.

• Denise

January 24, 2015 at 5:50 am

So happy for you!

• Elle

January 24, 2015 at 4:46 am

You are awesome and you are going to change so many lives for the better! And try not to fret too much over the financial aspects. I’m 29 and just finished my PhD last month. My husband is a police officer and we had two little boys while I was in grad school. The overwhelming relief and sense of accomplishment that I felt after I defended was unlike anything I’ve ever experienced. All those years being poor, all the stressed nights spent crying, were so worth it in the end. Now I get to live my dream being a college professor and hopefully make biology fun! 🙂

• Suz

January 23, 2015 at 11:08 pm

Very big exciting news! Congratulations!

• Jenny Summers

January 24, 2015 at 5:01 am

I am so happy for and proud of you. I think using such heartache to bring help and healing to others traveling the same road is such a loving and selfless thing to do. Sending you so much love. Oh, and I'll clickity click on everything too! 😉

• Jessica M

January 23, 2015 at 9:32 pm

This is so exciting, Diana! I am so excited for you to start on this journey and can’t even imagine how excited you must be!

• Amber Villani Newberry

January 24, 2015 at 4:32 am

Amazing friend!! I am so happy for you!!!!!!

• Chrystal Wood

January 24, 2015 at 4:31 am

Diana~ you'd be an incredible therapist for so many reasons. You're such an inspiration.

– Chrystal Wood

• deidre

January 23, 2015 at 9:04 pm

Amazing news. So happy for you. Anyone you come in contact with and are able to counsel through their loss will be so blessed to have you. Don’t you ever think for one moment you can’t make a difference. You are going to reshape and save lives. Blessings to you.

• Anne

January 23, 2015 at 8:56 pm

Just last night I was thinking of you when I read this… Perhaps you’ve already seen it, but if not, I hope you find it helpful as I did.

January 25, 2015 at 11:27 am

This was so beautiful. I’m sharing it on FB page now, thank you for sharing it with me. <3

• Jennifer

January 23, 2015 at 8:55 pm

Awesome and amazing news. So excited for you…cheering for you all the way!

• Betty Murrison

January 24, 2015 at 3:38 am

You will be a wonderful combination of understanding, knowledge and love for those who come to you for guidance. Blessings to you and to them.

• Kristen Jones

January 24, 2015 at 3:35 am

So excited for your next big step! Good luck!

• Nancy Johnson Horn

January 24, 2015 at 3:15 am

Congratulations!

• sunni

January 23, 2015 at 8:05 pm

Don’t be terrified. That’s the enemy trying to distract you from your assignment. What you are undertaking will help so many people. All that you have been through and endured brought you to this moment. You are going to be a blessing to so many people that are hurting and broken. This is totally Romans 8:28 in practice.

Peace, Love & Blessings to you!
    Good Luck 🙂

• Allie Lindahl

January 24, 2015 at 2:44 am

So exciting for you!!! Congratulations!!!

• Stefanie Miller

January 24, 2015 at 2:34 am

How exciting! What a great way to be able to give back to others who are facing the same situation you've been in! So great that you are using your story for good! 🙂

• Jessica Lee

January 24, 2015 at 2:31 am

Omg I am so excited for you!!! I wish you the best as you go back to school!!!!