Let’s Talk About Weird Pregnancy Things

March 30, 2015

I get terrible food aversions when I’m pregnant. I don’t know if it goes hand in hand with hyperemesis or what, but it’s been a regular occurrence for each one.

Some are the same. Chicken – cooked or raw. Tortillas or anything with a “bready” smell to it. Raw vegetables for first tri. Cheerios. Some I don’t see coming and then BAM. I can’t bear the thought of eating it.

Angela Meme

This pregnancy hasn’t been as bad with that. But before, oh wow. The twins’ was the worst. Ever. Everything was so awful with that pregnancy anyway – but food aversions were off the chart. I’d be so sick, laying on the couch wanting to die, and a meal or something needing to be cooked in the fridge that I’d seen earlier would pop in my head. And in between vomiting I’d try not to think about it but there it was. In all it’s disgustingly normal glory, taunting me.

One time I threw something perfectly good away because I couldn’t handle seeing it one more time when I opened the refrigerator. Seriously. I just took it outside and threw it in the trash bin.

I’m quite thankful I haven’t gotten to that level with this pregnancy. Still – there are things that suddenly I can’t eat. Maybe ever again.

The other night Sam deboned a chicken – one of those rotisserie ones you grab at the store. I couldn’t handle doing that but I was fairly sure I could eat it in a pasta sauce. So we chopped up the meat, threw it on the stove, and had it with sauce over noodles.

Bella found a small bone in hers. And she showed me it. It was all I could do to take it and put it in my napkin, and I just knew that was it.

I am seriously almost gagging writing this. I can’t handle mouth things – like a hair in your mouth or coughing on something and it takes me 15 minutes to get my vitamins down with excessive amounts of water. Just during pregnancy though.

I knew that bone was in my napkin. I kept thinking, “What if I find a bone? What if the next bite is a bone?”

So I slowly put my fork down, and Sam asked, “Whoa, are you ok?” I shook my head trying really hard not to think about the bone, hiding in the napkin, just being all gross – and it didn’t work.

I ran to the bathroom and puked. Then I gave him my dinner and never touched the leftovers since.

I can now add rotisserie chicken to my list of things I may not be able to eat again.

Please tell me I’m not the only one who has their weird food/texture issues when pregnant?

Also there are so many “That’s what she said” jokes just waiting to be yelled in this post. Bwahahahaha

• createdfamily

April 5, 2015 at 10:49 pm

You are so not alone in this! One of the first signs that I was pregnant with my pregnancy that worked out was avocado made me gag. I love avocado so I knew something was up. It only got worse from there. Everything made me throw up, all day every day. But it was totally worth it.

• Jillian Wheeler

April 5, 2015 at 4:01 am

No…I was like that. For me the smell of coffee made me want to puke.

• Marina Lambert Farook

April 1, 2015 at 2:43 pm

Not just you. It's awful.

• Amanda Shortman

April 1, 2015 at 12:40 pm

I had Hyperemesis in 2011 and to this day I cannot even bring myself to buy any vegetarian products that are supposed to replace meat (you know, like textured protein?) because the very first thing that made me sick was that. We had got chicken to make a casserole and as soon as I opened the packet I had to throw it as it smelt rancid to me, and so we substituted with the fake chicken fillets and I was so sick afterwards. My mum had Hyperemesis too 30+ years ago and still cannot face toad in the hole ( she can do sausages and Yorkshire pudding separately but never as one dish!) I also still gag on tablets, despite never having a problem before pregnancy. Everything is so heightened in pregnancy, especially with Hyperemesis, that these kinds of aversions are totally normal for those of us with severe sickness. I'm sorry you're suffering with it again!

• Gilda

March 31, 2015 at 11:09 pm

Yes! I have two kiddos, and with both I had food aversions, I lost weight because I couldn’t eat anything…for about 8 months. The worse was the chicken…I could not handle it at all, raw, cooked in any way, the simple thought it gah! Then my beloved oatmeal, the texture would make me gag so badly. I lived on fruits, vegetables (not wilted ones, if I’d see one little wilted something that was it, gagging and nausea and all), nuts, cheese. I tolerated pastas, some cereals, and mainly soups…except those with certain kinds of chunky stuff. Also I remember craving hamburgers like crazy but the minute I’d see them and smell them….GAG! OH mercy!!!! I could tortillas as long as they wouldn’t get soggy, you know how they wet all damp when you microwave them? Yeah, gross….give me a “comal” please, burn all that water. Then of course if my stomach was empty, well bad!!! Gagging all around. Anyway the list was long, and yeah brushing my teeth? I hated it, I didn’t wanna do it…but then I’d think “gingivitis” and I’d force myself to do it. The 24-7 nausea and content gagging feeling was hard. You’re not alone!!!

• Me

March 31, 2015 at 10:35 pm

With my first I could eat only watermelon, and this only for few weeks; after 5 month the sickness was gone but my feet and hands started to be itchy. It was a Eat, Vomit, Scratch pregnancy.

With the second I don’t remember any food aversion, but I spent a lot of time with my head into toilet. I could eat, the problem was to keep the food in my stomach for more than 30 minutes. Until the day I gave birth, and it was a long pregnancy (41 weeks).

• Allison Peterson Pela

April 1, 2015 at 2:25 am

With my first any hot sandwich was gag inducing, of course Subway had a huge campaign going for some toasted sub at the time. ……nonstop commercials. With both pregnancies any meat on a bone was beyond gross to me.

• Elise N Hoffman

March 31, 2015 at 9:17 pm

Found out I was pregnant with my firstborn on February 8th. On Valentine's Day, as we were getting ready to go on a date, my hubby presented me with a bag of one of my favorite candies (then, anyway). Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. The miniatures, which I think have the perfect chocolate-to-peanut butter ratio. I thanked him, opened the bag, and smelled it. Handed him back the bag. Didn't touch 'em for the rest of the pregnancy. Still don't like 'em like I used to, and my dd will be 17 this year.
    Weirdest part: My sister, who got pregnant three months after I did, had the same aversion.

• Kim

March 31, 2015 at 12:57 pm

Oreo’s. Of all the things to make you sick. I popped one in my mouth and gagged, it was so rotten. I tasted a second one – because really? Oreo’s? It was just as rotten. As was every box my husband bought after that. Although, he was kind of glad I couldn’t stand them- it meant he had the entire box to himself. John was about 2 when Oreo’s started tasting OK again. Oh, and the aversion came with Sarah, 2 years prior…

• Jill Abbs

March 31, 2015 at 6:33 pm

Thanks for the laugh at the end! That's a running joke in our family.
    Yes, I do have issues with food. I love making homemade vegetable soup. I can't touch it, much less see it. Smelling it almost sends me over the edge. I can't really have a ton of garlic either. Bad bad after taste. There's a few more I can't think of. But you are not alone.

• emily floyd

March 31, 2015 at 9:36 am

I am right there with you, I’m on pregnancy #4 & it’s kicking my ass. Food aversions are HUGE for me. Just smelling something will make me freak out. Even if I had eaten it the day before sometimes! Texture is also big for me. I am almost living off of grapefruit. Solidarity.

• Abi S

March 31, 2015 at 8:28 am

My first pregnancy it was fried chicken. It was so bad I couldn’t even stand the KFC commercial. I’d close my eyes and wait for it to be over. To this day (4 years later) I am still no longer a fan of KFC. Oh and as a side note, what did they serve at my baby shower? Yep. Fried chicken. But you don’t criticize the person throwing you a party so I smiled and did my best to eat a bite of it. And then throw the rest away when no one was looking.

• Danielle Brigance

March 31, 2015 at 1:12 pm

Not food related, but 6 years later and I still can't clean the toilet. Too much time with my head in the toilet I guess!

• Misty

March 31, 2015 at 7:03 am

OH ya, severe aversions! In the first tri I never really had any cravings at all…I remember one time opening a can of tuna for the kids and trying SO hard to breathe slowly. Didn’t work 🙂 I ran to the bathroom and vomited (mind you, I vomited over most things….except eggs for some reason. I LOVED egg salad sandwiches while pregnant. Seemed to be the only thing that settled my tum tum)

• Laura Garvin Clifford

March 31, 2015 at 12:35 pm

Before I knew I was pregnant with my first, I was at a baby shower. The cake was from a local bakery that everyone raved about and I couldn't wait to try it (I am such a sweets person!) Just as I went to take a bite, I knew if I did, I'd vomit. I also started to suspect I might be pregnant! To this day, I can't stand the thought of eating anything from that bakery or with that type of frosting.

• carole

March 31, 2015 at 5:56 am

Bananas was my biggest thing…couldn’t stand the smell and the thought of eating one was enough to make me gag. One thing I couldn’t get enough of was chocolate milk…and before I was pregnant I didn’t really like chocolate milk. Another issue I had was brushing my teeth. It make me gag/heave almost every time. My kids are 14 and 17 and I still sometimes gag when I brush!

• Melissa K

March 31, 2015 at 5:55 am

For my first pregnancy and part of my second I couldn’t handle eating a hamburger, the smell of the meat and bread together made me so sick. But I could have eaten my weight in steak if given the opportunity, so it wasn’t a total beef aversion. During my second pregnancy I couldn’t stomach the texture of milkshakes unless they were from McDonald’s; lucky for me their chocolate shakes were one of my big cravings that time.

• Eric N Wendy Johnson

March 31, 2015 at 11:53 am

My pregnancy with my twins was the worst. My problems were not only food related. We had just moved into our house when I found out I was pregnant. We had spend months watching this be built and the excitement of picking paint colors and carpet and all the fun details that come with a new build. I was so sick I couldn't stand the smell of the carpet. It was impossible to get away from and I remember crying daily because "I will never feel normal again."

• Melissa

March 31, 2015 at 5:46 am

With my first pregnancy it was the worst. I couldn’t handle anything. Ground beef? No. Chicken? No. Pork ain’t happening! I basically lived on fruit loops and baked potatoes. But one day I was watching the Halloween episode of Live with Regis and Kelly and she was dressed as Paula Deen eating a stick of butter and that is all I thought of all day long, and I was sick all day because I could not stop thinking about it!

• Amy VanKleeck

March 31, 2015 at 8:45 am

Mine were any poultry, M&M's and coffee. I love coffee, but just couldnt do it when pregnant. And M&M's? That was just too sad.

• Mandi Levitan

March 31, 2015 at 8:12 am

Yes, yes, yes. Even brushing my teeth was hell. Some days I just gave up. One of the only things I could handle no problem was watermelon in all 3 pregnancies (each pregnancy I was more sick than the one before).

• Allison

March 31, 2015 at 1:40 am

Have you tried gummy prenatal vitamins? SO much easier to get down than pills. I have a teriffic gag reflex and still can’t swallow some pills the size of prenatal vitamins even though my child is now 3. Gummies all the way. They’re practically fruit snacks.

There are some other textures that I’ve always had problems with and which pregnancy made worse, but I won’t mention them here because I don’t want you to “catch” them.
    ~
    May you have peace.

• Chantal

March 30, 2015 at 11:59 pm

I’m about 28 weeks pregnant. From the beginning, suddenly I couldn’t handle Asian food. Which is weird, because I love Asian food. And it’s unfortunately, because I LIVE in Asia (Korea.) Cruel world.

• Rikki Hjelden

March 31, 2015 at 5:56 am

I had a severe aversion to mac and cheese when I was pregnant with my daughter. She is 6.5 and I just recently started eating it again because it just made me so sick when I was pregnant with her I couldn't stand the thought of eating it even after she was born. I also carried surrogate twins and when I was pregnant with them I could not STAND the thought of sausage links, it came out of nowhere I was eating breakfast and all the sudden it hit me, the smell, the way it look etc etc. I was done lol. Luckily I got over that pretty quickly.

• Rebecca Bunting

March 31, 2015 at 5:28 am

Bacon! Even smelling it was nausea inducing! Sigh…as if "snissing" isn't fun enough during pregnancy lol

• » Let’s Talk About Weird Pregnancy Things

March 30, 2015 at 11:24 pm

[…] I get terrible food aversions when I’m pregnant. I don’t know if it goes hand in hand with hyperemesis or …read more       […]

• Shalyn Linklater

March 31, 2015 at 5:11 am

Mine was meat products BUT the weirdest thing was that stupid song by Shaggy was popular during one of my pregnancies..the song with all the ladies names. Anyway, that song was always on the radio when I cooked dinner and vomited. It wasn't long Until the song would come on in the car or house or in the mall and guess what ? I would be so sick just hearing it.

• Erin Fox

March 31, 2015 at 4:57 am

Chicken is a big one for me. Smells drove me crazy. working in aged care nursing for my first pregnancy was intense. the combination of shower smells, food smells and toilet odour was wayyyyyy too much on a 6am shift. cue me crouching in the bathroom most mornings.
    all I wanted was fresh fruit and home brewed ginger ale. Oranges were my saviour, i could nearly always eat them and i could carry one to sniff too. lol.

• liz

March 30, 2015 at 10:51 pm

During my first pregnancy, I couldn’t even handle the smell of ground beef cooking. I’d have to go outside for fresh air. It’s tough trying to figure out what you can stomach and be around. It’s minesweeper. Also, to this day, don’t even come at me with febreze. That first pregnancy was eight years ago and febreze made me nauseous. One time is all it takes to be completely put off by it.

• Katrina Ingalls Hix

March 31, 2015 at 4:42 am

After throwing up rice once I could no longer eat it while I was pregnant…even after I got past the sick stage. My other food aversions would kind of come and go with my second pregnancy. One day I couldn't stand the sight of something and a few days later that would be the only possible thing to satisfy my craving. It was so weird!
    I still get weird food aversions that come an go…I swear my pregnancy with Trenton ruined me! haha