Little Updates

March 12, 2015

I’m in the middle of week 5 of school.

It’s going well. I’m expecting to be finished the end of this year or at the very latest the first term of next. I really, really like it so far and can’t wait to get into their Master’s Program. A licensed therapist one day – I hold onto that thought when balancing all of this gets a bit much.

I’m 8 weeks pregnant.

So far – morning sickness has been reasonable. Some days it’s worse than others (today is one), but it’s shocking to me that I am this far and can manage most days. I remember with Bella I’d have to pull over to the side of the road to throw up on my way to work. With the twins – well – with the twins I just wanted to die. I was so sick with them. And with Kaden – I just took the meds from 6 weeks on. I’d hoped it wouldn’t be as bad but I once I started throwing up, I couldn’t stop.

My doctor prescribed me Diclegis and I’m iffy on taking anything that I don’t absolutely need to survive, so right now it’s not a priority.

So I’m eating small meals as often as I can, trying all those home remedies that never worked a tiny bit with any other time. It does help – and I am so thankful for that. Trying to do this with Bella at home and appointments was always so miserable for me. I’m almost afraid to talk about it too much for fear tomorrow I’ll wake up and be back to not being able to function.

Other things are different too. My current doctors have given me a choice on getting a cerclage. The high risk department head came in to see us at my last appointment and said that she sees no need to do another as nothing happened last time, or with the twins for that matter. My water broke, yes, but a cerclage wouldn’t prevent that, and a week of me not going into labor with them meant my body wasn’t ready anyway. She presented me with both sides and a choice, which was really nice since my last MFM told me this time around she was placing a cerclage in regardless.

That operation was really hard on me – my whole pregnancy. It was what caused my hip pain to start – and that’s never gone away. 2 years. Unless they feel I need one, I don’t think I will get it done.

I will, however, be opting for progesterone shots as those were tremendously beneficial during Kaden’s pregnancy for preterm contractions.

And no Lovenox!! Yay! I have the form of MTHFR that isn’t life threatening – so it’s not that beneficial to me to have the shots done daily. Thank goodness for skipping bruised legs and stomach and stabbing myself every night.

I feel really comfortable with my doctors and their care. They’re going to be working with the doctors in Dallas as well, and the HHV-6 Foundation. While I’m nervous about having to be in the same hospital as where I had the twins O_o I also feel like this time I can’t imagine allowing myself to be treated like that again. Not for a minute.

I jokingly told Sam, “I wonder if they pull up my file and an alert pops up, ‘PATIENT IS A BLOGGER. WILL CAUSE RUCKUS.'”

We have another dating ultrasound next week – many of those this time around as well.

I have so much to write on, but these past few weeks I’ve just been SO tired and on and off nauseated that my motivation to do so is low. I’ve been writing for my other sites and then when I have a free moment, I usually spend it studying or falling asleep.

Thank you for all the well wishes and congratulations for us. We really are excited – cautiously, but I feel that’s totally within our right to be. And we grant others that same feeling as well. Every reason to hope for a healthy little one this time around.

• Joy

March 15, 2015 at 5:11 pm

Grow, baby, grow! I can’t wait to see your sonogram update. I usually have a sonogram before 10 weeks but I haven’t this time (I take progesterone during the 1st trimester due to hormone imbalance and history of miscarriage). So needless to say I’ve been biting my nails for my first midwife appointment (she would have gotten me in for a sonogram if I asked but I decided to wait). Blessed to hear the heartbeat last week at 14 weeks, phew.

• createdfamily

March 15, 2015 at 12:23 pm

Oh wow, congratulations!!! I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you that this is an incredibly uneventful pregnancy and birth. Also I’d love to hear more about your MTHFR and what your docs have said. After my last loss I learned that I have a mutation as well and I’ve been really disappointed in how little my docs seem to be concerned about it. They won’t do any other testing or treatment until I’ve had a third loss, which seems so barbaric.

• Amy Willis

March 13, 2015 at 11:59 pm

One moment at a time <3

• Teresa Cavanaugh

March 13, 2015 at 9:02 pm

That is great news! So happy for you all <3

• Kristy Thurmer

March 13, 2015 at 1:42 pm

I don't usually give advice or tips, and I know your situation is so so different than mine. I am 6 weeks along, and trying to control morning sickness naturally. But I had to ask my dr for something. He suggested 25mg B6 three times a day and a unisom before bed. I thought he was crazy, because i didn't need help sleeping. But it is working (and bananas!). I looked it up, and apparently its a thing. I suppose its something you could talk to your dr about if you are interested. Thank you for being so open about everything, and I really am praying for you!

• Kristin @ In Between the Piles

March 12, 2015 at 10:42 pm

So good I hear that your symptoms are manageable! You are amazing!! School, work, mama, wife, and time to blog, too. Awesome too about no Lovenox shots. I took progesterone shots during my last pregnancy. So thankful for those! Praying for you, baby, Sam, and Bella. Hugs!

• Krisdee Davey

March 13, 2015 at 2:32 am

Oh my goodness!! I'm (cautiously) happy for you!! 😉 I clicked on another blog, stating an announcement, about a week ago thinking it was yours. I thought I was going to read you were pregnant. I've been following you for quite some time and lifting you in prayer along the way. Congratulations. <3

• Kelli Rushia

March 12, 2015 at 10:58 pm

I hope you aren't taking Coumadin while pregnant. If you are, call your doctor immediately.

• » Little Updates

March 12, 2015 at 4:31 pm

[…] I’m in the middle of week 5 of school. It’s going well. I’m expecting to be finished the end of …read more       […]

• Tamara Todhunter

March 12, 2015 at 10:21 pm

I just found out that I have MTHFR. I had to do a week of Lovenox shots while the Coumadin kicked in. I had a full blow panic attack when I tried to stick myself. I had to have my husband (who passes out at the sight of needles) put the cap back on so I could take it to a friend to do the shot for me.

• Kendra

March 12, 2015 at 3:58 pm

First, congratulations! I have been following you since you were pregnant with Kaden and I have been praying for you since. I am also 8 weeks pregnant with my 3rd, we have 2 girls, 6 and 4. So, when I read that you are too I immediately stopped and prayed for you and this baby. I was so excited and I don’t even know you lol. Anyway, I also have the MTHFR gene. It’s the homozygous c677t form. I have never had any problems with my pregnancies or children, but my homeopath happened to test me bc of my autoimmune disease (ulcerative colitis). Anyway, I’m just wondering what prenatals you take with having this condition. I am told to only take folate, not the synthetic form of folic acid. I would really appreciate your reply bc now that I know this and the risks involved I’m kind of going crazy.

I am praying your nausea stays manageable and your pregnancy continues to go well!

• Vicki

March 12, 2015 at 3:51 pm

Oh, that is funny, and I have no doubt those things happen. Still, they treated you abominally. Good luck. Cautiously excited is ok. We are all praying for you.

• Amber Cessac

March 12, 2015 at 9:33 pm

My husband works for a large hospital system. He said they put a red dot on the files of patients known to be difficult ie threaten legal action, etc. Not that you're a difficult patient, but your question to Sam may actually have some merit!