Did You Know… #NationalSiblingDay

April 10, 2015

Did you know that my little sister Alyson is pregnant too?

She is. 13 weeks ahead of me.

It’s her and her husband’s first baby. It decided to be stubborn during her 20 week ultrasound so they’re still waiting to find out the gender.

A few weeks before I found out I was pregnant, I texted her to say what had been on my heart since she told me. I told her how I truly was excited for her, even if there were times I couldn’t express that. I said there were going to be times she’d probably think she’d upset me, or I was mad, but for her to know it wasn’t that. It was just me missing what should have been so very much. And I told her I was angry – really pissed that I didn’t get to be the auntie or sister or human being I’d thought I would be during this time. That her announcement had to be made to me with the utter care and hesitation instead of complete joy. That I couldn’t just be insanely happy and that was all. Losing three babies changed how I react to so much, and I hated it for her and for me, but I was really trying.

And then I told her I’d always thought we’d get to be pregnant together someday.

So a few weeks later, she was one of the first people I told when I found out. 9 o’clock at night. Scared to death. She talked me down, reassured me, told me she was so excited. She and I talk every day, and we’re hoping to go see them in June.

I have fears that go with this. Like how will I handle her having a baby if I don’t get to? 13 weeks apart isn’t much when your kids are growing up, what if my experience is always seeing her child with what could have been? But there is also the crazy part that we are both pregnant, at the same time, just like I had in the back of my head. That part is wonderful.

She’s my rock through this in many ways. I’m so very glad we get to do this together. Happy Sibling Day Aly. <3

National Siblings Day

• About a Girl | DianaWrote

April 28, 2015 at 1:27 pm

[…] you may have seen us tag his arms with this ) . I think about her growing up so close in age to my sister’s baby […]

• Stephanie

April 18, 2015 at 9:26 pm

Oh my. So many big feelings must be happening for you!
    My sister was pregnant 6 weeks ahead of me when I unexpectedly found out I was pregnant again after still birth. I was sure, just POSITIVE her baby would live and mine would die, and I would forever be in pain around her living child. It’s a rough road emotionally, no matter what happens. It’s very difficult to balance all the happy, sad. Excitement and fear. i pray you feel peace throughout the process.

• Tracy @ The UnCoordinated Mommy

April 11, 2015 at 8:36 am

So happy you have a sister to be your rock. My sister and I have always been close too and now that we are both mamas we are crazy close. 🙂 we talk every day sometimes 2 or 3 times. I am always praying for you and now I will include your sister and yalls relationship to it!

• Katie

April 10, 2015 at 6:39 pm

Happy sibling day to sweet Bella! This day was created by a bereaved signing as a way to honor the two siblings she had lost. As a bereaved sibling myself, I think it’s pretty special, and I hope that Bella recognizes that although the twins and Kaden aren’t here, she is a sister! ❤

• Autumn

April 10, 2015 at 4:00 pm

My cousin and I were pregnant at the same time. Our due dates were one day apart. I had the same fear because our son was stillborn five months earlier. Luckily we both had happy and healthy babies

• Jenny

April 10, 2015 at 3:05 pm

I can relate to this SO much! My SIL (and best friend) and I were pregnant at the same time. Our boys are 4 months apart which is so fun! But I’ve also been on the other side where she’s had to tip toe around all her pregnancy announcements because of my infertility. I look back on all those announcements and I hate it. I’m so thankful she forgives me for my inability to be over the moon for her at times.