Sisters

January 2, 2017

Yesterday I was just stepping out of the shower when Bella came in and announced, “Char woke up from her nap, I can hear her in there, can I go in?”

“Sure,” I said. I love that she wants to do this, but of course I had to add my little reminder because I too have siblings: “But Bella, be kind ok?” Mostly she is. But Char has her own personality and at times it can be even hard for me not to get frustrated.

Especially when she throws a block off your face.

A nod and off Bella skipped. I heard them laughing and playing and then it got a bit quiet. I had myself semi-presentable (so if the UPS man showed up he wouldn’t wonder if I had 25 cats and used their hair to make gifts) – (no that is a real thing) so I went to Char’s room to see what they were doing.

Bella was reading to Char. She’d found one of the books I’d read to her when she was little (this is a new one because Bella, like Char, tends to love her books so hard they don’t make it). She was reading to her, showing her the things on the page that moved. Her little feet tucked underneath her, Char’s whispy head of hair peeking over the rail just enough.

I stood there for a moment and then quietly took a picture so I wouldn’t forget this moment. Lately things have gone so very fast around here. I think as I watch some stage they go through, “We have to get that on camera” and then it’s gone.

Bella turned after a moment and grinned at me. “She loves me reading to her.”

I nodded, wondering if these two will have any idea of the amount of joy they bring me and the days I wondered if we would ever have a moment like this. One where Bella would be able to read to a sibling, to introduce her to all the things she loved at that stage too.

I’m so very glad I held on to just a little bit of those hopes and dreams in the moments I thought it was impossible.

“Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.
Hold fast to dreams
For when dreams go
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow.” – Langston Hughes

• Shauna

January 3, 2017 at 5:19 pm

Such a sweet memory to have. I love reading your words!

• Victoria

January 3, 2017 at 1:58 pm

Diana, this is so sweet! That last line made me tear up. Such angel girls you have. On an unrelated note, is that an oil diffuser on the little white shelf? If so, do you have one you recommend? I’m new to using oils on my little one and would love to get a diffuser 🙂

• Tanya

January 2, 2017 at 10:51 pm

I love it. I remember having a similar moment when 2 of my boys were about 11 and 2, We lost our second baby halfway through the pregnancy and then had secondary infertility and it took 6 years before we conceived again…I had given up hope when it finally happened. We were walking down a dirt trail, and they were each carrying a stick with something tied on the end, like a flag, Eli copying Zach as they waved them up in the air. I remember that feeling of pure joy that Zach had a sibling, finally. And I have always regretted that I didn’t have a camera along…this was pre cell phone. So glad you got the shot to remember!
    PS, we never really consciously “tried” to get pregnant again, believing we were fortunate to have our 2, but God surprised us with 2 more healthy pregnancies…we now have 4 sons ranging in age from 28 to 8. And a 5 year old grandson!

• inbetweenthepiles

January 2, 2017 at 9:17 pm

I love it. Karl and I were having a conversation tonight about wanting to never forget things that are so apart of our daily lives – capturing these moments. Again, thank you for sharing. So awesome to read your blog two days in a row!!

• Erin (thismommywrites)

January 2, 2017 at 6:41 pm

LOVE this pic!!! And this moment….and it gets better- as Bella learns to read more she will be anxious to show off her skills to her little sis! (my 5 yr old loves when her big sister reads to her! She thinks her sis has better inflections in her voice for the characters- he he!)

• Jennifer

January 2, 2017 at 5:26 pm

So beautiful and full of hope. Love it !!

• Leanna

January 2, 2017 at 5:20 pm

Such a beautiful memory!

• NANCY CONLEY

January 2, 2017 at 5:05 pm

You’re 2/2 in blog posting for 2017! Keep it up. You have a gift.