Oh hai nipples!

July 6, 2010

Caution: Parental figures, children, siblings and all men – you may not want to read this. And no, there are no pictures.

————————–

So the other day Bella discovered my nipple.

Yep. I mean, we’re going on 8 months of nursing and the kid’s never given it a second glance except as a target to aim her open mouth for.

But the other day she suddenly pulled off during nursing, looked at it, and burst into a huge grin. It was as if she was thinking, “What is that? How funny!”

So then she patted it, and poked it, and pinched it. I stopped her there because it hurts when her tiny fingers pinch anything – nipples are no exception.

Then, after starting at it for a few seconds, she began to babble to it. Very seriously and wide eyed, as if to let it know that she appreciated all it had been through the past eight months.

At this point I felt slightly strange. I didn’t know whether to cover it up and get on with burping, let her continue to have a conversation with my right boob, or stick her back on it.

I covered it up.

She kinda looked around to see if it was coming back out again (we don’t do boobage peekaboo around here) and then had a splendid burp and forgot all about it.

Until the next time when she did it again. So now it’s like a routine, she regularly talks and smiles at my nips and then pokes them.

It’s cute and weird at the same time. And something we’ll keep between me and her – the under 2 years of age her. I just don’t see this being something we talk about at future Thanksgivings or her wedding reception.

• mama23bears

July 7, 2010 at 2:54 pm

FUNNY! right at 8 months, C noticed my nipples. then he proceeded to grab a hold and pull on it HARD! like, i screamed! after that anytime he pulls off to play i kindly tell him we arent playing and if he trys again we are done! nobody pulls on my nipples like that. nobody!

July 8, 2010 at 12:28 pm

I LOL’ed at the “nobody” part. I can totally see you saying this. And I’ve never “seen” you so that’s something.

I know – it hurts bad. And it’s funny because she really doesn’t care when I say no sternly. It makes her crack up. Discipline Fail.

• angelica

July 6, 2010 at 4:53 pm

I’ll always remember my son’s face the first time he saw my naked boob some months after he had stopped breastfeeding. His eyes lit up. It was like he knew he “knew” them from somewhere but couldn’t quite place them. I let him play a bit. the problem is he then started feeling other women’s tits up…. I guess he wanted to work out if all the nice ladies had these nice things under their shirts

July 8, 2010 at 12:29 pm

HAHA! 🙂 That’s great – what a shocker for your friends huh?

• Tweets that mention Oh hai nipples! | Hormonal Imbalances — Topsy.com

July 6, 2010 at 4:36 pm

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Diana, Diana. Diana said: Oh hai nipples!: Caution: Parental figures, children, siblings and all men – you may not want to read this. And no… http://bit.ly/bUD1CI […]

• Law Momma

July 6, 2010 at 12:23 pm

J does the SAME thing. He is a big fan of chatting up my nipples. Funniest thing was when he reached out and pinched Husband’s while babbling to them one morning.

• Sarah

July 6, 2010 at 11:40 am

What? You should tell everyone.. LOL That is really cute and sooo funny. I think Abigail did notice them at one point, she poked me and then was done. She never really seemed to care much about it, just wanted me for the milk I guess, never mind where it came from.. 🙂

• Cindy @ This Adventure, Our Life

July 6, 2010 at 11:33 am

This is soo funny! Bailey so did this same thing the other day! She grabs though!! I have been just covering back up or removing her hands…I know it totally hurts when their nails grab!!