We need a nanny.

July 29, 2010

Bella decided to wake up 3 times last night. 9, 12, and 4. By 4 I was so tired I just slapped her on the boob and woke up to her passed out on me. I put her back in the crib and hoped that would hold her over to, say, 8am.

HA.

At 6:15 she was up. Yelling loudly from her crib. Sam went in, changed her, and brought her back. Now, when she was little, she would just nurse once more, then snuggle up next to me and fall back asleep for 2 hours.

Well not anymore. She not spends at least an hour bouncing while holding on to both of us, pulling my hair trying to climb up me, poking my nose and eyes, playing with Sam’s ears, throwing her paci, chasing the kitties off the bed, and trying to heave herself off so go after them on the floor.

I usually put her back in her bed after a few minutes of this, but this morning I was so tired and I wanted her to sleep. So I tried to lay there, with my eyes closed, hoping she’d get bored and fall back asleep. Instead I became a jungle gym and I had to try to maneuver her away from the edge of the bed.

Then she grabbed a handful of hair and pulled. HARD.

I snapped a little. “Ow,” I said really loudly. “Bella, stop!” She stared at me with big eyes. I took my hair out of her hand and laid her back down next to me with my arm over her. Like a trap.

She laid there for a second, then began to struggle. I didn’t want to hurt her, but I wanted her to lay still. I knew putting her back in her crib would result in her screaming bloody murder, and I didn’t want to hear it. She finally wiggled free and started in again. I laid her down. Repeat.

Finally Sam turned over, and sensing my chance at freedom, I flipped the other way with my back to her.

So then she started screaming because she couldn’t see my face and that was unacceptable. So then she patted my back, over and over.

I got up, grabbed her and the paci, and put them both in the crib.

Then I came back to my bed, curled up, and listened to her scream in anger on the monitor. I waited, dreading the fact that my child has never stopped crying once she is angry. Like, no matter how long it takes. Talk about perseverance.

Then, suddenly, quiet. No sobbing or whimpering, just screams to silence.

I fell asleep. And at 9:30? I was awoken to a very happy baby cooing. Of course, I was still tired.

Sam looked at me, cracked a smile and said, “This is one of those time where you could just stay in bed all day, huh?”

“Yep,” I said. We laid there for a second.

“We need a nanny,” he said. “A live in one.”

I nodded. “So I can just call her on the phone and say, ‘Hey, the kid’s up. Time for you to get in there and entertain her.’ ”

We giggled. I got up to go get her, since the cooing was turning into a bit of “Hello is anyone coming to get me?”

“We’ll never get to sleep in again, “I said heading out of the room. “We’re parents. Oh, and we’re poor.”

🙂

• Nikki

July 30, 2010 at 7:54 am

I’m glad I’m not the only one who pulls out a boob just to get my kid to go back to sleep! I did it this morning in fact, at 4:00am.

• t.bird

July 30, 2010 at 7:00 am

i am a slave to alex starting at 5:45am on the weekends. go back to sleep?!? ha!

• Jess@Straight Talk

July 30, 2010 at 6:55 am

Haha! I love it. Kids are persistent. Ava still does that to me. “Mama I can’t see your face! Who will I look at!”

• Jackie

July 30, 2010 at 6:49 am

I can relate to this 100%. My night was kind of like that. It seems like my daughter’s molars are trying their best to make my life, and nights, miserable. *sigh* Hang in there, mama! 🙂

• Tweets that mention We need a nanny. | Hormonal Imbalances — Topsy.com

July 29, 2010 at 8:46 pm

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Bloggernaut, Diana. Diana said: We need a nanny.: Bella decided to wake up 3 times last night. 9, 12, and 4. By 4 I was so tired I just slapped he… http://bit.ly/cjuxuH […]

• Janelle

July 29, 2010 at 7:21 pm

‘aint it the truth!

• harmskills

July 29, 2010 at 6:29 pm

yeah sometimes they need to cry a little. or alot.

• Angela

July 29, 2010 at 6:13 pm

What is it with these babies? Do they think their cuteness is enough sustenance to replace sleep? Dylan is up constantly lately. I will have fingers crossed for you that you get some better sleep tonight.

• Heidi K.

July 29, 2010 at 6:01 pm

I was just thinking about a nanny today. Not so much for the overnight, but for the fact that I get NOTHING accomplished around the house during the day. By the time he’s in bed, I have no energy to get anything done. You know what, I need a live-in housekeeper more than a nanny. Think Alice is ready to leave the Bradys and move in with me???

• metta1313

July 29, 2010 at 5:37 pm

This was sort of us for the past couple of months. Now we are lucky if she only wakes up once. I’m starting to get good at just letting Abby fuss for a bit before I jump up and get her. I’m wondering if our kiddos are channeling each other these days. Do you think Bella can teach Abby to get up on her knees to crawl? That would be fun.

• Nichole Jordan

July 29, 2010 at 5:26 pm

HAHA
    That sounds like it was coming out of my mouth! That happens to us ALOT to! 😀 Ah parenthood.. 🙂 And we have another on the way! Oh boy… no sleep for SURE! 😛