Stroller Snobs

November 4, 2010

I take Bella to the park several times a week. It’s a beautiful park; huge trees, wide paths, tucked back away from traffic, in an old, rich neighborhood full of beautiful homes.

Mostly it’s full of moms and dads at their kids soccer practices, and older people walking their dogs. When you pass someone, it’s usually with a smile and nod, perhaps a, “Your puppy is adorable” or “How cute is your little girl’s hat!” I love walking there.

But sometimes, I get there when someone else does. Someone else that lives in the area, and has a lot of money, and wants everyone to know about it. She isn’t interested in smiles, small talk, or even a simple nod.

She’s a stroller snob.

Let me be clear – I love my Jeep jogger. It does the job well, and – too short of a hood excluded – it fits my needs perfectly. I did a lot of research before choosing it. We live in a state with seasons that can get severe, and trails that can get rough. I chose a more rugged stroller that would work year round to take Bella out in. My parents got it for me as a surprise last Christmas (I put it on my list never expecting anyone to buy me it) and it’s been essential ever since.

So I’m walking with Bella today and pass a woman, her daughter around my age, and her new baby. They are beautifully dressed and look like they stepped out of a magazine for high end winter gear. The baby is in a Skate stroller from Peg Perego. It runs from $700 to $900 and I’m sure it’s worth every penny.

And to be honest, in person it looks like a small shopping cart. Really. :/

Anyway, as I get close to them, I smile at the woman. She stares at me, then coolly runs her eyes over my stroller, WINCES, and actually snubs her nose. Like in the air and everything. Her daughter never even glances at me.

I am floored.

I walk on and shrug it off. I know from being a nanny, rich people can be odd. Who cares, the park is for everyone. I don’t see a sign that says, “Only people with strollers $500 and up please. All other scum will be removed promptly from their view.”

I pass them again as we go around for a second time. This time they both actually look away as I go by, then give the stroller a side glance with smirks, and laugh.

I feel about as special as a fart.

The third time we pass, I look away. I can’t take the evilness.

I get everything loaded in the car and reflect on it on my way back home. To me, it’s sad that something as simple as a stroller can be such a status statement. I’m a mom, so were both of them. It would have been nice to pass by and exchange the understanding, “I had to get out for a while” looks with peeks at each other’s kids.

When did a stroller become such an image of who we are as mothers? I’m not saying that anyone who has a nice stroller is a snob – no way. And it would be fun to have a really expensive one – if it was perfect for our lifestyle. What I’m talking about is when you use your stroller, or diaper bag, or carseat, or anything – to one up someone in life.

Whatevs. My stroller doesn’t resemble the small, double decker shopping carts at the grocery store. And next time I pass them, I’ll wear Target sunglasses just to class it up that.much.more for their viewing pleasure.

So there.

• Becca

April 28, 2011 at 10:26 am

Since when does it matter what kind of freakin stroller you have? Maybe it is because i live here in the land of walmart shoppers, but who friggin cares! And you are a better person than i am, cause one dirty look from that lady and i would have been like, “WHAT?!” i’m not good with people like that. I couldn’t and wouldn’t have shown restraint. And as i write this i realize that my, very well off, sister-in-law just gave me her 250 dollar mclaren umbrella stroller. And i LOVE it! I’m a hand me down kinda mom. And i LOVE that too! And btw…the fart comment had me laughing. Thanks for the very much needed giggle this morning!

• Teresa

March 15, 2011 at 8:54 am

LOL!!! I have been snubbed as well. When I had my son back in 2006, we had a COMPASS, LMAO! It was the cheapest one we could find and my son loved going out for walks in it, so I didn’t care what anyone thought. One day, I took it to the mall and saw those snobs looking at me and I didn’t know anything about stroller snobs then. Yes, I would love a stroller that handled like a dream, but I’d rather use that money toward something else, if I even HAD that money. How can mommies be so rude to other mommies? ew.

February 1, 2011 at 9:19 pm

This is me, leaving random comments on your blog. Just like I said I would. At least I am reliable, even if I am crazy.

• Cindy @ This Adventure, Our Life

January 31, 2011 at 7:54 pm

So I had to tell you this… so I have a friend and she has a really fancy stroller… I have a nice stroller but we are talking like $800 stroller to a $300 stroller… anyhow, when we went out her stroller is not practical at ALL…. I just laugh inside every time…thought you may think that was funny 🙂

• Holiday Must Have’s | Hormonal Imbalances

December 13, 2010 at 7:18 am

[…] NOGE. In particular, the ingredients are free of BPA. And? Lots of celebrities have SIGG. So while my stroller may not be high end, my water bottle sure as heck is. […]

• Becca

November 6, 2010 at 8:12 pm

Crazy stroller ladies, what are you thinking?

At least you can probably take heart in knowing that, if they truly take pleasure in dissing others because of their stroller choice (still shaking my head in disbelief), they probably aren’t very happy people.

Target sunglasses, rock on. 🙂

• Buying Guide To Baby Strollers | Baby Strollers FAQ

November 6, 2010 at 1:48 pm

[…] Stroller Snobs | Hormonal Imbalances […]

• Suzanne

November 6, 2010 at 12:53 pm

You know what? I JUST bought my absolute dream stroller, the one I spent hours and hours staring at online, googling for pictures and reviews and lowest prices and driving an hour away to try out in person. It cost 3x as much as our original travel system (although that’s because we bought the doubles kit – a double stroller was the whole point). I’ve been using the stroller for a week now, loving every second if it.

But I am STILL waiting for my poop to turn to gold and my farts to smell like roses. Also, it didn’t make me a better mother, a better cook, a better wife or a better friend. All it did was make me poorer. Plus I wince more now when I bump it into things. Because no amount of fancy-stroller-ness makes those things any easier to push between racks at the mall.

What I’m saying is judging people based on their strollers is the definition of stupid. I can’t believe those women were such douchecanoes.

• Double Stroller For Twins | Baby Strollers FAQ

November 5, 2010 at 7:32 pm

[…] Stroller Snobs | Hormonal Imbalances […]

• How To Choose A Jogging Stroller | Baby Jogger Strollers

November 5, 2010 at 10:40 am

[…] Stroller Snobs | Hormonal Imbalances […]

• MamaBennie

November 5, 2010 at 10:07 am

yea, I have a hand me down Graco stroller that was my neighbor’s sons. I have 2 girls, and a black and red stroller….so what it functions. I live in an area where expensice strollers don’t exist, so thankfully I do not have these problems.

• Baby Carriage or Pram for your Newborn Baby – arched steel buildings

November 5, 2010 at 8:53 am

[…] Stroller Snobs | Hormonal Imbalances […]

• D

November 5, 2010 at 8:26 am

First, how come no one has commented on the “special as a fart”??? Funniest thing I’ve heard this year.

Second, I’ve gotten a little jealous over seeing moms with amazing strollers and diaper bags. But then I realize my stuff works just fine and while there will always be something bigger and better out there, I can be happy with what I have.

November 5, 2010 at 10:08 am

Thank you for noticing the fart comment. :p They are NOT special around here. Contrary to what my husband believes.

I’m working on the “being happy with what I have” thing. It’s get a little rough when someone makes you feel like crap, but I’ll get there.

• Alexia

November 5, 2010 at 8:02 am

Screw the Stroller Snobs!! In this economy/recession anyone buying a $700 stroller is in serious need of a reality check!! You and Bella probably make everyone else’s day when they see you out walking ; ) Besides, the grandma was secretly pissed that she blew a wad of cash for a piece of equipment that does the EXACT. SAME. THING as the $200 version (holds the child while Mama gets some exercise). Wouldn’t you have your panties in a bunch over that little fact? lol

November 5, 2010 at 10:06 am

Ah Alexia, I love you. You crack me up. I have to admit, I feel the same way about cars too – especially if I see someone driving a Volvo SUV. But I tell myself, “It does the same job as my KIA SUV, and for a lot less.”

• Daisy

November 5, 2010 at 7:56 am

AH I found something while looking up the stroller on google that I felt I needed to show you, because your post about how media portrays men:

This is great because A) its a blog about new dads and thier kids and products, etc.
    B) It makes fun of that exact stroller.

November 5, 2010 at 10:05 am

LOVE. That is so funny, his blog cracks me up. Strollers are not designed for dads, and that bothers me.

And what on earth is that lady wearing to push her kid around outside in?

• Mama Fisch

November 5, 2010 at 7:06 am

Ahhh the never ending stroller debate. Come live in my little nook of Chicago and you will die at the level of competition that exists related to strollers.
    I will admit that I look at every single stroller I pass by but with good reason. I live in a an urban area. I do not drive ANYWHERE in the summer. It is the stroller and my feet. I am a runner and that was a big concern for me when picking one out. I poured over the research and yes, I will be honest we have a BOB Revolution and it is great. I have not one complaint.
    People want to flaunt their strollers go for it. But, that does not excuse the behavior of a mother who should be a role model to her children. A simple hello, a wave, or smile would have done just fine to let you, or I or the next person know that we are all in this together. It’s just annoying… next time I would say hello. Then let’s see what she does.

November 5, 2010 at 10:04 am

I love BOB. We are actually talking about getting one – but it’s not $2,000. And it’s because of the hood on mine, and the fact that it’s a lot more lightweight. Mine is a chunker.

I am going to say hello if I see them again. I bet they act like I have rabies and bit them.

• Mrs. MidAtlantic

November 5, 2010 at 6:42 am

I think the Jeep strollers are pretty nice… and it’s not like they are cheap! That mom is nuts.

• Kim

November 5, 2010 at 6:25 am

I didn’t even know Jeep made strollers! So if you walked by me, I’d be all, “ooooh, can I check out your stroller??” And remember, as snobby mom was snubbing you? Yeah, she went home to wipe her arse with the same toilet paper as you. Just saying.

1. t.bird

November 5, 2010 at 9:20 am

actually her toilet paper is probably made out of silk- duh 😉

November 5, 2010 at 10:02 am

Love this. Either way, it’s being wiped. And I flush mine. She has to have it washed.

lol

• Heidi K.

November 5, 2010 at 5:08 am

I had to google the stroller. I’ve never even heard of the company. Guess that makes me totally not eligible for your park! That skate stroller is uh–guh–ly, btw.

November 5, 2010 at 10:02 am

Yeah, it’s a little odd. They had the lay down bassinet on it (her baby was so tiny) and I think that’s what made it look so strange. Maybe upright it wouldn’t look as funny.

• LA@TheReelFamily

November 5, 2010 at 2:03 am

Yuck Mom Snobs. We have a very similar park near us that we try and walk at a few times a week. Its almost humorous the fashion show that occurs around 10am every day. Only the best yoga pants coupled with the top of the line stroller. Kids decked to the nines in their smocked frocks watching cartoons on mom’s IPhone. Me? I am lucky if I have brushed my hair and removed all the mascara from under my eyes and the only way I can keep EJ quiet all the way around is to provide him with an array of snacks. I just don’t care. Its a park and my goal fresh air and firming this flabby belly.

November 5, 2010 at 10:01 am

I used to care so much about looking “right” before I went out, then I realized part of the reason I wasn’t exercising was because looking nice added another half hour onto my time.

So now I just throw my hair up and head out the door.

• Emmie Bee

November 4, 2010 at 11:02 pm

People are stupid.
    Who cares what stroller you have!?
    I’m just so stoked when another mom says ‘Hi!’ to me! I would never ever care what stroller they did or didn’t have! I just like making friends.
    I tend to get these types of looks from other moms as well. We live in a similar area and due to a very generous gift, Hudson’s stroller is about as fancy as they come. And these stuck up bitches STILL act like that. So, it probably had nothing to do with your stroller. Maybe you are prettier & that makes them uncomfortable?

November 5, 2010 at 10:00 am

Lol, that was really sweet Emmie. I wish – the chick was like a 10 so pretty sure that wasn’t it. Even her mom was pretty.

I think strollers are awesome, I’ve had stroller envy before. But I can’t imagine that having a nice one would make me almost hate someone who didn’t. Now I want to know what stroller you have. Whatever it is, you deserve it with all your kiddos.

• TheNextMartha

November 4, 2010 at 10:48 pm

bwahahahaha. Sometimes I am thankful that I have a boy because I think pressure to have perfect girl children stuff is more. I see it. I see these names of things flying around and think “really, wth is that?” Oh, and I had a Peg (not that one mentioned) and guess what? I hated it. Give me a stroller with a cup holder and maybe a hook or two and a nice large under basket ANY DAY! Maybe she was really looking away because she couldn’t bare to look at your really good functional stroller. It made her feel stupid. And she is.

November 5, 2010 at 9:58 am

I had to read your comment to Sam. It was so funny. I think with girls it is harder. I do. Boys can be all rough and tumble and have manly things, but with having girls it’s like a one upmanship on who can have the best stuff.